SONY IER-Z1R
May 14, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #7,411 of 15,397
Received the SpinFit CP100 Medium-sized tips and they work well with Kimber Cables. The bass is better than the stock tips, tried everything in Sony's box as well as tips from Shure, Comply and Dekoni. These SpitFits are not as comfy as Sony's white tips but have much better bass. Do not notice a smaller sense of 3D space as yet.
Will report back after more hours. All good after 2 days.

IMG_6683.jpg

May 14, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #7,413 of 15,397
I have a MojoPoly and the M11 Pro player. DO you guys think it would worth getting the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC amp? Would I see dramatic sound improvement from what I have got while driving the Z1Rs?
I've got the Tazy circa 1 month ago and that's the question I'm also trying to answer for myself.

May 14, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #7,414 of 15,397
I've got the Tazy circa 1 month ago and that's the question I'm also trying to answer for myself.

Please let me know mate, when you get close to a conclusion in your own good time of course. As neither Z1R versions are hard to drive, IMO all comes down to resolution, tonality and personal preference rather than power. To me, Mojo is a more relaxed, warmer and musical tune, while M11 Pro is much more resolving, with wider stage and better imaging but not as "sweet" sounding as the Mojo, whatever that means. I said a couple of pages back that I like M11 Pro more but to be honest it all depends on my mood and music genre. Not keen to throw yet another option in the mix unless I'm getting something entirely different.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #7,415 of 15,397
Out of all IEM companies out there, CA is probably my favorite (Sony is not an "IEM company", so it doesn't qualify). I owned 2 Andromeda models and tried most of their higher tier stuff. I think they make really good sounding headphones and price them reasonably.

My only issue with them was that their "stuff-it-all-in-there" internal designs which gave me the impression they were doing more tinkering than engineering. Well, that and the fact that they didn't seem interested in pushing the envelope in terms of materials and construction (I actually said numerous times that if they made a Ti shell, I would be very interested). Why are materials important? Well, Al, for example, has high heat conductivity, which leads to issues like nozzle condensation.

Anyway, it looks like they just needed more time to get there. Kudos to them!

As far as the release cycle goes... They're a young company and thus cannot operate under the same business model like giant Sony. I have no issue with them releasing a lot of stuff and can understand that they can't afford to simply sit on improvements for 2-3 years until they have enough to warrant a new product. If it "offends" people because they no longer feel like they have the TOTL product, so be it. What, you think you have the best that Sony has to offer? I'm sure that they already have some new prototype that improves on the Z1R, they're just not going to release it until they feel like the improvement is substantial enough (also the investment in the Z1R production line and marketing has been made up for).

I think it's no secret that KB is a fan of Sony and it should come as no surprise to see CA taking inspiration from the Sony designs. From the advanced materials to the inner housing/refined phase structure, it's all a move in the right direction if you ask me.

Well said.

I think anyone who loves portable audio is by default a fan of Sony, as they pretty much invented it. Many of us who are in our 30s and older got our first taste of portable bliss, not from an iPod, but from a Sony Walkman :)

May 15, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #7,416 of 15,397
I have a MojoPoly and the M11 Pro player. DO you guys think it would worth getting the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC amp? Would I see dramatic sound improvement from what I have got while driving the Z1Rs?

I don't hear a difference worth investing in the Tazzie on IEMs, while to me it's definitely more obvious and enjoyable on the MDR Z1R.
I would think it applies to most headphone amps...headphones will gain form them, while IEMs not so much...

my personal experience of course!

May 15, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #7,417 of 15,397
Well said.

I think anyone who loves portable audio is by default a fan of Sony, as they pretty much invented it. Many of us who are in our 30s and older got our first taste of portable bliss, not from an iPod, but from a Sony Walkman :)
They have ugly designs, plus thos feat of the Solaris 2020 after just six months

KB is a cunning fox, they're not innovating, they're filling their filthy deep pockets.

And wow candlejack prefers an american manufacturr? Somebody told me in mexico that French people didn't like american stuff

May 15, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #7,418 of 15,397
z1r has an incredible soundstage, extremely wide. Compared to my focal clear & Aurender v1000 combo, the z1r brings a good emotional, energetic, pleasant, detailed sound.
z1r works best with powerful devices, better soundstage reproduction, and smoother high ranges. You should not use with devices < 4vrms. The sound will be significantly limited. Give z1r a good environment, and it will shine.
00F9A36C-BE68-4DB0-9EF4-B159F9A73E57.jpeg
79077544-8737-4A12-9B49-57DA8BD00782.jpeg
9860A3CB-FB33-464E-9E40-D6E5522CDD75.jpeg

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #7,420 of 15,397
They have ugly designs, plus thos feat of the Solaris 2020 after just six months
I quite like their designs and certainly don't think they are ugly.
KB is a cunning fox, they're not innovating, they're filling their filthy deep pockets.
This needs an explanation, otherwise it's just you "hating on them".
And wow candlejack prefers an american manufacturr? Somebody told me in mexico that French people didn't like american stuff
1. I don't base my preferences on where something is made.
2. Not all French people conform to a stereotype.
3. I am not French, I'm European (which is what you say when you're from Eastern Europe).

May 15, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #7,421 of 15,397
z1r works best with powerful devices, better soundstage reproduction, and smoother high ranges. You should not use with devices < 4vrms. The sound will be significantly limited. Give z1r a good environment, and it will shine.
People tend to listen at higher volumes on high-power sources, which leads to them thinking the sound quality is better.

May 15, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #7,422 of 15,397
I quite like their designs and certainly don't think they are ugly.

This needs an explanation, otherwise it's just you "hating on them".

1. I don't base my preferences on where something is made.
2. Not all French people conform to a stereotype.
3. I am not French, I'm European (which is what you say when you're from Eastern Europe).
I said Ken ball is a cunning fox a robber, as he releases Solaris SE... then like fiio is doing lately.. oh NEE IEM SOLARIS 2020, I can rip your off because your SE is now obsolete against the new 2020. Like fiio releases M11 black and all of nothing six months later a fiio M11 stainlesssteel

May 15, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #7,423 of 15,397
I said Ken ball is a cunning fox a robber, as he releases Solaris SE... then like fiio is doing lately.. oh NEE IEM SOLARIS 2020, I can rip your off because your SE is now obsolete against the new 2020. Like fiio releases M11 black and all of nothing six months later a fiio M11 stainlesssteel

That’s progress and capitalism. The product people already own does not become poorer because a new product comes out and nobody are being foreced to buy every time a new product comes out so I don’t really see the problem. Most companies are in business to make a profit and return on investment

May 15, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #7,424 of 15,397
I mean it is human nature, we cant blame a company feeding their demands. People want to create new things and be rewarded for it. And people like newer products. 🤷‍♂️

May 15, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #7,425 of 15,397
I mean it is human nature, we cant blame a company feeding their demands. People want to create new things and be rewarded for it. And people like newer products. 🤷‍♂️
But at a fast -paced rate? Mom I don't think it works well for us consumer side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back