SONY IER-Z1R
May 13, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #7,381 of 15,364
Yes.........these IEMs need more power than an average DAP at times. On another thread I was speaking about things not being black and white. The fact is there are many ideas of good, many shades of gray. And it’s only after you’ve heard the IER-Z1R being driven from something waist deep in power, do you know the improvements. The fact that when folks point fingers at the 1A and 1Z, saying (they are not even enough) that the IER-Z1R will go even farther with more power.....is....strange but true!

It’s just maybe what’s normal listening volume levels and how desperately you need the final few percentages of SQ.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #7,382 of 15,364
Yes.........these IEMs need more power than an average DAP at times. On another thread I was speaking about things not being black and white. The fact is there are many ideas of good, many shades of gray. And it’s only after you’ve heard the IER-Z1R being driven from something waist deep in power, do you know the improvements. The fact that when folks point fingers at the 1A and 1Z, saying (they are not even enough) that the IER-Z1R will go even farther with more power.....is....strange but true!

It’s just maybe what’s normal listening volume levels and how desperately you need the final few percentages of SQ.

Do you suggest Mojo + AMP (like DETHONRAY HPAMP HA-2) could be better than 1A or 1Z?

May 13, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #7,384 of 15,364
Do you suggest Mojo + AMP (like DETHONRAY HPAMP HA-2) could be better than 1A or 1Z?

Again there is no black and white good and bad. There are simply slight gradients of improvement to be had, some may care........others.....not. Haven’t been tried the Mojo. The 1Z offers a spectacular response, as does the 1A. All I’m saying is there is a very small potential for a fractional SQ improvement if someone was to look elsewhere. For many including myself it’s simply not economical. But for those audio-extremists that want to go hog-wild, it’s there. Some may notice it, others not so much.

The Sony TA-ZH1ES is also a slight improvement over the 1A and 1Z. Probably the surprise is that IER-Z1Rs are IEMs yet they like power?

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #7,385 of 15,364
Probably the surprise is that IER-Z1Rs are IEMs yet they like power?
The idea that the "IER likes more power" has never made it beyond "some people think that", but then again some people *always* think that about everything.

May 13, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #7,386 of 15,364
I play my Z1Rs on M11 Pro at 60/120 volume (high level mode) and two reds on the Mojo. I would say that neither is breaking a sweat driving these IEMs or any other IEMs I own. The full size Z1Rs demand about 15% more power for the same volume, a relative lightweight in that segment.

May 13, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #7,387 of 15,364
The idea that the "IER likes more power" has never made it beyond "some people think that", but then again some people *always* think that about everything.

02E0397B-4643-490E-9936-A4AA547D7507.jpeg

May 13, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #7,388 of 15,364

Depends where you hang out.
In Asia outside of Japan, especially amongst the Chinese-speaking circle, the idea IER is so power hungry which none of the Sony Walkmans can provide is pretty much taken as gospel and is repeated ad infinium. If you say you use the IER with a WM1 on a Chinese forum you'll get crap on and instantly labeled as a n00b with money and no brain.

May 13, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #7,389 of 15,364
Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #7,390 of 15,364
In Asia outside of Japan, especially amongst the Chinese-speaking circle, the idea IER is so power hungry which none of the Sony Walkmans can provide is pretty much taken as gospel and is repeated ad infinium. If you say you use the IER with a WM1 on a Chinese forum you'll get crap on and instantly labeled as a n00b with money and no brain.

What's the Chinese equivalent of Head Fi? Erji.net or is there a bigger forum?

May 13, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #7,391 of 15,364
different cultures and different takes on different points of views. Many people would be surprised by the differences between China and the rest of the world lol

May 13, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #7,392 of 15,364
What's the Chinese equivalent of Head Fi? Erji.net or is there a bigger forum?

I don't think there is one. Asian head-fi community are much more de-centralised with multiple small forums ran individually on large BBS-style websites or ran by audio/consumer electronic-related media outlets, yet the strange thing is no matter where you go, the opinions don't vary much....

May 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #7,393 of 15,364
Something is wrong in this picture. Can you spot it?

20200513_174300.jpg

May 13, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #7,394 of 15,364
May 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #7,395 of 15,364
There is a headphone missing
Thank you for playing the game!

Unfortunately that's not the answer I was looking for. But you're right, the HD600 is off camera in this one (so no fancy new purchase reveal here).

Feel free to try again though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back