SONY IER-Z1R
May 10, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #7,366 of 15,280
Wow. I’ve been listening all day to my new IER-Z1R’s. Love them; love that sub-bass and natural decay sooo much. Didn’t think I would buy the Z1R’s. I was skeptical they would fit well since a trial at a local meet (with too large of a tip) was not convincing that they would be as comfortable as my IER-M9’s. Well, with the right tip size these things fit my ears like a glove (I’m using hybid S (small) on Z1R and Triple-Comfort S on M9 for better isolation since the M9’s are my “outside” IEMs). I’m rocking a deeeep insertion on both.

I was also hesitant to buy the IER-Z1R due to the reports of recessed mids. Well, I can honestly say, for me, the whole frequency response is totally to my liking. I had to do some major PEQ to get the MDR-Z1Rs to my liking, but out of the box these IER-Z1Rs are perfect for me.

Cheers,
Gus

Glad you like the Z1Rs. Yes, they do look a bit clunky at first impression, and need a cable that allows you to fit it in properly and precisely. Once you select the right tip to get a good seal, they are easily one of the most cohesive and attractive hybrid universal IEMs around. I was sceptical like yourself too. It sounded wonderful off the Sony 1A and 1Z as it should since they are part of the same signature range from Sony. But I was very pleasantly surprised by its synergy with the AK SP1000Cu and AK SP2000Cu. It meant getting the Eletech Plato with 2.5mm balanced plug, where @Eric Chong got me excellent connectors which are long enough for the Z1R and slot in with a satisfying solid click. The transparency and crystal clearness of the Plato is excellent for the Z1Rs. Definitely pushes the Z1Rs up to a different level. Of course, the stock cables that Sony used this time is also excellent. :)

May 10, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #7,367 of 15,280
The Eletech Plato. Thanks to @Eric Chong . :)
AE38251E-391A-45EE-85EB-A0D46D9596FE.jpeg

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #7,370 of 15,280
May 12, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #7,371 of 15,280
Really good airy highs, non fatiguing midrange and nice deep digging bass with slam and feeling

Wish someone compare ZX507 vs WM1A pairing with the z1r, I wanted 507 more because of streaming features.

May 12, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #7,372 of 15,280
I am powering my IEM-Z1R's from the Chord Mojo. If I was to get something else with Balanced output what can I expect?

For those with and without the balanced outputs could you determin which output was being used in a blind test?

May 12, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #7,373 of 15,280
I am powering my IEM-Z1R's from the Chord Mojo. If I was to get something else with Balanced output what can I expect?

For those with and without the balanced outputs could you determin which output was being used in a blind test?

You probably wont see a difference overall, the sound signature will probably be the biggest difference. The difference with most balanced portable output devices is there is a power increase from unbalanced to balanced. When I tried with my desktop amp, there wasn't a major difference with other headphones between the two. What balanced is there for is to reduce noise, if you have any decent amp and similar output it is unlikely to notice a difference overall. If you happy with the Mojo no point to change unless you have a noise issue or want a different sound. Any decent unbalanced amp with low noise floor will be comparable to an balanced amp.

May 12, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #7,374 of 15,280
You probably wont see a difference overall, the sound signature will probably be the biggest difference. The difference with most balanced portable output devices is there is a power increase from unbalanced to balanced. When I tried with my desktop amp, there wasn't a major difference with other headphones between the two. What balanced is there for is to reduce noise, if you have any decent amp and similar output it is unlikely to notice a difference overall. If you happy with the Mojo no point to change unless you have a noise issue or want a different sound. Any decent unbalanced amp with low noise floor will be comparable to an balanced amp.

Balanced can also give better control over the headphone (not just more volume) if single ended is borderline in power to control a more demanding headphone

May 12, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #7,375 of 15,280
At this point, i just wish sony can make custom m9 and z1r. After discovering deep fit of m9, im blown away how m9 can sound so different than my regular tips size. Ive demoed z1r too, probably i love m9 more than z1r. A reason why i have m9 not z1r. Nevertheless, these things are holographic af.

Edit: what i discovered after this deep fit, the resolution of M9 is significantly better, the holographic is scarily good. Also, due to this deep fit, there is almost zero spike on upper mids now. I believe z1r will benefit from this too. Sadly i didnt deep fit z1r before. A reason why custom is always a better choice.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #7,377 of 15,280
ops, please delete for me moderator.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #7,378 of 15,280
Wish someone compare ZX507 vs WM1A pairing with the z1r, I wanted 507 more because of streaming features.

I imagine the Zx507 probably can't drive the z1r loud enough.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #7,380 of 15,280
From different post, I read Zx507 is better than sp1000m and WM1A has better sound stage than Zx507. Portability we do not have any DAP which is sonicly as good as WM1A and does streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back