SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 7, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #7,081 of 15,271
Apr 7, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #7,082 of 15,271
I will put a bit of fuel in this fire, then...is the Atlas worth buying after having Z1r and LX? :)
I personally can’t answer that as I didn’t spend all that much time with the Atlas. Maybe someone who has big experience with the Atlas and IER can respond. Much of our impressions are emotional, and at the time of the demo for me, the IER had not been released and I was waiting for it. Such things can obscure the focus and objectivity. IMO

I can say though that it fit like a dream.

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #7,083 of 15,271
I wasn’t asking about next week. In general does anyone knows about any plans for Sony to release?
Perhaps between 10 to 15 years...
Before quails lineup the R10 and CD300 in the early 90s
Quali came early 2000s
Signature series 2014...

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #7,084 of 15,271
Perhaps between 10 to 15 years...
Before quails lineup the R10 and CD300 in the early 90s
Quali came early 2000s
Signature series 2014...
IMG-20191126-WA0026.jpg

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #7,085 of 15,271
Though all and all it was a similar sound signature to the IER. The fit was fantastic on the Atlas. It was one of those that you almost guess could fit everyone?
I would disagree with the signature being similar. But the fit is indeed really easy-going, but might not be very secure for some.
I will put a bit of fuel in this fire, then...is the Atlas worth buying after having Z1r and LX? :)
Only if you want to get nostalgic for the Z1R. :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #7,086 of 15,271

Apples and Oranges. The limitations of a single DD comes into play. If you can live with the loss of some technicalities of switching from hybrids you're rewarded with a fun, engaging and inevitably, more cohesive signature.

Apr 7, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #7,087 of 15,271
I would disagree with the signature being similar. But the fit is indeed really easy-going, but might not be very secure for some.

Similar in them being dynamic and of a V or U signature. Also both are kind of intense. IMO

Dynamic driver bass. They were closer together than apart. Though I only listened for a moment. I mean similar in contrast to the IEMs made the last 10 or so......few years that I heard................ they share a sound.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #7,088 of 15,271
Similar in them being dynamic and of a V or U signature. Also both are kind of intense. IMO

Dynamic driver bass. They were closer together than apart. Though I only listened for a moment. I mean similar in contrast to the IEMs made the last 10 or so......few years that I heard................ they share a sound.
Yeah, it's just my opinion anyway. When I listened to the Atlas, it felt quite claustrophobic in its presentation with a congested soundstage. I was comparing to the Andromeda at the time. The Z1R is even more spacious than the Andromeda to my ears, so that's why I said they are not similar. But I'd probably agree on the bass, all I remember is I was impressed when I heard the intro to Dirty Diana with the Atlas. :)

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #7,089 of 15,271
If you guys really want some direct comparisons that aren't from memory between the atlas and the z1r, I can provide them a little later as I currently own both.

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #7,090 of 15,271
Yeah, it's just my opinion anyway. When I listened to the Atlas, it felt quite claustrophobic in its presentation with a congested soundstage. I was comparing to the Andromeda at the time. The Z1R is even more spacious than the Andromeda to my ears, so that's why I said they are not similar. But I'd probably agree on the bass, all I remember is I was impressed when I heard the intro to Dirty Diana with the Atlas. :)

The soundstage thing is a great point. Like I said it was a short test. But I mainly concentrate on tone character first. So maybe I wasn’t concentrating on soundstage?

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #7,091 of 15,271
I do miss my Z1r. (Not the fit)

If you guys really want some direct comparisons that aren't from memory between the atlas and the z1r, I can provide them a little later as I currently own both.

Would be good!

Apr 7, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #7,092 of 15,271
Alright I have spent some time this morning with both the atlas and z1r for those who are interested. Some caveats to start, I am listening on my n6ii with e01. The z1r is paired with the campfire smoky litz for comfort and final audio e tips. The atlas has it's stock silver cable with spiral dot++ tips. The atlas is significantly more sensitive so volume matching was a bit difficult. Also as with all things audio it seems, differences are usually much smaller than described.

Signature wise the first thing you definitely notice about the atlas is the bass. Is more of an L shaped signature when compared to the z1r. Bass is boosted, mids might also be at a bit of a higher level, but treble feels a bit recessed in comparison. The z1r feels a bit more balanced with maybe a slight dip in the mids. Definitely different signatures. The z1r is what I feel is a mild v shape with ever so slightly recessed mids and a nice subbass focus. The atlas is a bassy signature that doesn't give up too much in the mids or trebles.

Bass quality is sort of a wash between them. They are both full and lush. But the z1r would still be my pick. Mainly because the bass on the atlas can border on overwhelming at times (it does balance out with brain burn in).

Mids are a bit more forward on the atlas, but it's hard for me to say much more for quality. They both sound good. Think it's more of a preference thing there.

Treble is better for me on the z1r. It's smooth and super detailed. The atlas had a slightly grainy feel in comparison.

Soundstage and imaging/separation are noticeably better on the z1r. Not huge differences, but noticeable. Atlas soundstage had some width, but not a lot of depth. Z1r is a bit more 3d in comparison. And it's easier to pick out and place individual instruments and sounds.

I havent heard the legend x, but the comparisons I have read make it sound more similar to the atlas than the z1r. But with improved intangibles like soundstage.

As for whether the atlas is with picking up if you already have a z1r. Not if you are looking for a similar technical performer. But yes if you want a different/bassy iem that is quite good but doesn't quite reach totl levels of performance, in a package that will arguably be more comfortable with the flexibility to wear it down, at a price that's just a bit above half of the z1r and can likely be had even cheaper used.

Also sorry if there are any typos or other weirdness with this post. I am writing on my tablet.

Edit, sorry meant haven't heard the lx, just a typo

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #7,093 of 15,271
Z1R and Atlas are a bit like apples and oranges imho...but I could see them being complimentary to someone who wanted a more balanced IEM as well as one that's a bit of a bass cannon. I would also say that the Atlas is a bit redundant if you own the Legend X as unlike with the Z1R the LX and Atlas are going for the same sort of sound, with the LX being the superior performer of the two (again imho). The Atlas is a solid performer though and I dare say it's tops at what it does within its price bracket (the LX is twice as much $$). For the record I currently own the LX and have owned both the Atlas and the Z1R in the past.

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #7,094 of 15,271
Being a huge bass head and having run out of Sony IEMs to buy thanx for making my next IEM purchase an easy decision guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back