SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 3, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #7,051 of 15,290
As was I. Hearing that it used the same (or similar) driver as the atlas I would have it expected it to be bassier and aim for more of a campfire house sound, but it's definitely aiming for a perceived flat/neutral tuning. Then again, I only had maybe 5 minutes listening to it. The z1r was definitely preferred for me.

Both fit horribly for me though, and I would dare to say the Solaris was actually worse. It was significantly more uncomfortable when first putting them in my ears, but I also didn't have any real time to play with the fit or tips or anything.
The Solaris's do sound great, but like you, a little boring. The first few tracks of the ierz1r's had my skin crawling. So much more fun. I also found the Sony better fitting. But I prefer the cable of the Solaris. I also like the heavier feel of the sony's. By far in my experience the ierz1r's are a better, exciting listening experience. I've read issues with the mids but I don't have any, the bass is elevated so of course the mids sent the centre piece, but hearing those drums in rush and glover's bass lines is mint.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #7,052 of 15,290
The Solaris's do sound great, but like you, a little boring. The first few tracks of the ierz1r's had my skin crawling. So much more fun. I also found the Sony better fitting. But I prefer the cable of the Solaris. I also like the heavier feel of the sony's. By far in my experience the ierz1r's are a better, exciting listening experience. I've read issues with the mids but I don't have any, the bass is elevated so of course the mids sent the centre piece, but hearing those drums in rush and glover's bass lines is mint.
I dont really have enough experience with the solaris to make any kind of judgement beyond some simple first impressions. They were good, but considering what I already have there wasnt anything there that really made me feel I needed to get them. As I said, I prefer the sound of the z1r, but havent been using them that much lately due to the fit. I have gotten them to a point where they are ok, but theres always discomfort after some time. Currently on the 64 tia trio which fit much better, but still arent perfect fit wise. I would say they are on the same level as the z1r, but a different tuning too.

I get the feeling that my ears are just very sensitive to all but the smallest barrel shaped iems.

Apr 3, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #7,053 of 15,290
I dont really have enough experience with the solaris to make any kind of judgement beyond some simple first impressions. They were good, but considering what I already have there wasnt anything there that really made me feel I needed to get them. As I said, I prefer the sound of the z1r, but havent been using them that much lately due to the fit. I have gotten them to a point where they are ok, but theres always discomfort after some time. Currently on the 64 tia trio which fit much better, but still arent perfect fit wise. I would say they are on the same level as the z1r, but a different tuning too.

I get the feeling that my ears are just very sensitive to all but the smallest barrel shaped iems.
Just out of curiosity and since you also have issues with comfort with most TOTL it seems, what good sounding iems did you find comfortable?

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #7,054 of 15,290
Just out of curiosity and since you also have issues with comfort with most TOTL it seems, what good sounding iems did you find comfortable?
Good sounding? Theres tons since that covers almost anything. The final e5000 are probably the top of my list for comfort. They are tiny bullet style iems and they weigh nothing. Only issue is the cable is super microphonic so they really need to be worn over the ear. And for me, the most comfortable are almost always ones I can wear down.

Higher end stuff I have tried... well the 64 tia trio is pretty comfortable for me though it does produce some very mild discomfort that can be mitigated by the right tips. I also briefly tried the Fir M4 and M5 and both were very comfortable. But that was over very short listening sessions, so long term, not sure. I also surprisingly find the campfire andromeda (gold specifically with the longer stem) to be pretty comfortable too.

I actually find a lot of IEMs are pretty comfortable for shorter listening sessions, its just once you get past like 30 minutes or an hour, they can really start to hurt.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #7,055 of 15,290
I was comparing the z1r to the atlas, not the Solaris. I have had a brief listen to a Solaris and there is definitely significantly more bass emphasis on the z1r, but there's also significantly more bass emphasis on the atlas than the z1r.
But the Atlas has terrible mids , average treble and shaped as a WWII hand grenade.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #7,056 of 15,290
But the Atlas has terrible mids , average treble and shaped as a WWII hand grenade.
I would disagree. I wouldnt call it terrible. It just has a very distinct tuning, and its definitely not for everyone. It excels at what it aims to do, and that is to be a bass cannon IEM with decent technicalities. But if neutral or flat or balanced (or anything approaching that) is the end goal, then yes, they likely would sound terrible.

But circling back to the original question posed, its not a similar signature to the z1r, and it doesnt compare in quality either. So just definitely wouldnt call it the little brother of the z1r. What I have heard is that its possible like the little brother of the empire ears legend x, but I havent heard that so I cant say.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #7,057 of 15,290
I would disagree. I wouldnt call it terrible. It just has a very distinct tuning, and its definitely not for everyone. It excels at what it aims to do, and that is to be a bass cannon IEM with decent technicalities. But if neutral or flat or balanced (or anything approaching that) is the end goal, then yes, they likely would sound terrible.

But circling back to the original question posed, its not a similar signature to the z1r, and it doesnt compare in quality either. So just definitely wouldnt call it the little brother of the z1r. What I have heard is that its possible like the little brother of the empire ears legend x, but I havent heard that so I cant say.
Great. But it depends what you comparing it to. Say if you compared the capsule looking Atlas to the Aurisonics 2.5 then the Atlas would be bass pop gun.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #7,058 of 15,290
I think I read somewhere as the atlas being like a little brother to the ierz1r's

I think you're thinking of the Hyla CE5, I've never heard it but I've heard it referred to in that way.

Oh ok, fair enough. I'm surprised the lack of bass in the Solaris DD.

It's not a lack so much as a different approach. The Solaris is more about balance-- the bass is there it just doesn't take centre stage. With the Z1R what you gain in bass emphasis you lose in lower mid presence, which the Solaris by comparison has more of. Which mode of presentation you prefer will depend on what you're looking for and what kind of music you listen to.

Apr 4, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #7,059 of 15,290
Apr 4, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #7,060 of 15,290
I'm sure you didn't mean to say this, but LOL.
EBADF987-FCEC-4656-BF08-725F031F5F89.gif

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #7,061 of 15,290
Good sounding? Theres tons since that covers almost anything. The final e5000 are probably the top of my list for comfort. They are tiny bullet style iems and they weigh nothing. Only issue is the cable is super microphonic so they really need to be worn over the ear. And for me, the most comfortable are almost always ones I can wear down.

Higher end stuff I have tried... well the 64 tia trio is pretty comfortable for me though it does produce some very mild discomfort that can be mitigated by the right tips. I also briefly tried the Fir M4 and M5 and both were very comfortable. But that was over very short listening sessions, so long term, not sure. I also surprisingly find the campfire andromeda (gold specifically with the longer stem) to be pretty comfortable too.

I actually find a lot of IEMs are pretty comfortable for shorter listening sessions, its just once you get past like 30 minutes or an hour, they can really start to hurt.

E5000 were also at the top of my list but they don’t see great for metal! For edm however they see absolutely golden :)

Apr 4, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #7,062 of 15,290
E5000 were also at the top of my list but they don’t see great for metal! For edm however they see absolutely golden :)
I dont listen to metal, so Im genuinely not sure what type of tuning works best there. But yes the e5000 are quite good for edm. They are a very lush and warm sound. Theres also others in the e series that are basically the same shape (and cheaper) that are tuned differently that may be good there. I also left out that periodic audio IEMs are super super comfortable too. They are also that bullet style IEM, they are tiny, and they are polycarbonate so they also weigh pretty much nothing. Affordable as well, but sound quite good. But you are stuck with a fixed cable thats also quite microphonic. But they do have different tunings available too that may be what you are looking for. And I think they often run sales and have blemished versions available, so they can be had quite cheap.

Of course none of these are playing at the same level as the z1r, and it seems in order to do that, you often need multiple drivers, which often also means that the IEMs will be larger and very likely less comfortable. Another IEM you may want to check out if you are looking for something high end is the dunu luna. Getting a lot of buzz right now (though personally I am not sure the sound will be up my alley), but they look very compact and probably quite comfortable.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #7,065 of 15,290
How bad is the sibilance on the IER-Z1R? If possible, do you know how it compares with Andromeda's sibilance? Thanks!
I sold my Andromeda S exactly 1 week after I got my Z1r. After using the Z1r for a couple days, the Andromeda was hurting my ears, I simply couldn't use it for more than 30 min.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back