SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 2, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #7,036 of 15,290
That's interesting, I've mostly heard great things about them. Can't wait to get my fingers on them
Like I said, I hope they work for you and you end up loving them. I just wouldn't put my ier-z1r up for sale just yet. :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #7,037 of 15,290
Like I said, I hope they work for you and you end up loving them. I just wouldn't put my ier-z1r up for sale just yet. :)
Yeah definitely holding on to them until I hear the lcdi4

Apr 2, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #7,038 of 15,290
Yeah definitely holding on to them until I hear the lcdi4

you definitely won’t be disappointed. One caveat though, either you use cipher cable or do a proper EQ to get it sound right (using Audeze Reveal plugin for desktop users, or graphic and parametric EQ for DAPs). For most people, these will be limiting factors and make i4 too troublesome (plus the fact that there’s virtually no isolation). But once you get it right with EQ (or use cipher), I dare say it’s one of the best sounding IEMs (if not the best).

That being said, I do love my Z1R and it can be the right complement to my i4. Different character in sound and it provides the isolation that i4 doesn’t have. To me, upper Z1R frequencies can be borderline sibilant, but by not inserting them too deep in my ear canals, I managed to tame the treble down a bit.

All in all, I love both Z1R and i4, so my advice is don’t sell the Z1R and hope you can enjoy i4 as much as I do :)

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #7,040 of 15,290
Sounds exciting!
Would there be an even better option as far as IEMs go (cost no object) for metal music? I've also had my eye on the A8000 from Final but the very bright top end has me worried for my music style...
Empire Ears LX. I mostly listen to Metal and love it.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #7,044 of 15,290
I think I read somewhere as the atlas being like a little brother to the ierz1r's

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #7,045 of 15,290
Interesting, I also thought of those as their bass proficiency is said to be among the best out there. Which would you recommend between the Atlas and the Sonys for metal then? :)
The IER-Z1R, hands down. The bass of the Atlas is nice and deep, but the rest of it failed to impress me when I still had the Andromeda. If you like electric guitar, the Z1R or even the Andromeda are much better choices if you ask me.

Apr 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #7,046 of 15,290
I think I read somewhere as the atlas being like a little brother to the ierz1r's
I wouldn't say that. They aren't really that similar.

The atlas is significantly more bassy, while the z1r is fairly balanced comparatively.

Apr 3, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #7,047 of 15,290
I wouldn't say that. They aren't really that similar.

The atlas is significantly more bassy, while the z1r is fairly balanced comparatively.
Fairly balanced? Alot more presence of bass compared to the Solaris. I would have thought there was a bass emphasis on the ierz1r's. I always felt it lacking in the Solaris, but the hole was filled with the sony's

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #7,048 of 15,290
Fairly balanced? Alot more presence of bass compared to the Solaris. I would have thought there was a bass emphasis on the ierz1r's. I always felt it lacking in the Solaris, but the hole was filled with the sony's
I was comparing the z1r to the atlas, not the Solaris. I have had a brief listen to a Solaris and there is definitely significantly more bass emphasis on the z1r, but there's also significantly more bass emphasis on the atlas than the z1r.

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #7,049 of 15,290
I was comparing the z1r to the atlas, not the Solaris. I have had a brief listen to a Solaris and there is definitely significantly more bass emphasis on the z1r, but there's also significantly more bass emphasis on the atlas than the z1r.
Oh ok, fair enough. I'm surprised the lack of bass in the Solaris DD.

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #7,050 of 15,290
Oh ok, fair enough. I'm surprised the lack of bass in the Solaris DD.
As was I. Hearing that it used the same (or similar) driver as the atlas I would have it expected it to be bassier and aim for more of a campfire house sound, but it's definitely aiming for a perceived flat/neutral tuning. Then again, I only had maybe 5 minutes listening to it. The z1r was definitely preferred for me.

Both fit horribly for me though, and I would dare to say the Solaris was actually worse. It was significantly more uncomfortable when first putting them in my ears, but I also didn't have any real time to play with the fit or tips or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back