Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Mar 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,881 of 4,748
Quote:
EX1000 just arrived and I can say that I have never encountered any headphone/IEM to sound good to my ear right from the get go, this has never happened to me. My only concern is the cable, they dont seem to accept the shape of my ear loops. 

Welcome to the club!
smile_phones.gif
  Keeping them like this when not in use will help with fit / comfort:

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,882 of 4,748
Got some quick question about this phone~~~~
1. Did I get a fake one since my EX1000 actually has an EX600 cable. (The 3.5mm plug is just rubber which has much lower build quality compare to my EX700).
2.What will be possible tip selections for this IEM. Mine does not fit and isolate. Is the hard Westsone one gonna fit?
3.DX100 is able to drive it, but find the high is a bit too much, is it gonna go away after 1000 hours of burn in, or that is just the phones tuning and will never fade away?

I got mine for $390, and the real one from japan at least cost $580. Is this because I got a downgraded cable? Or I just spend a lot of money on a fake one? It does not sound like a fake one, but I am not that impressed by it either. Maybe compare it to my Miracle and HD800 is a bit to harsh, but I did expect more out of this IEM.

Thus, anyone know how to tell whether or not it is a fake? Like what will a typical fake one look like?

Thanks

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #2,883 of 4,748
Quote:
Got some quick question about this phone~~~~

I think you have the American one which has the EX-600 cable and ofcourse we are all different to sound, I am not that fragile to sibilant so I find the treble so far just fine. 

The cable does not make a huge difference so do not stress over it. The performance difference between the EX-600 and EX-1000 cable is inaudible however on paper they are noticeable. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #2,884 of 4,748
There was a member selling this silver cable for EX1000 many months ago, I contacted them asking where they bought it. In their reply they said Jaben Hong Kong, but I cannot find anything on the website, I contacted Jaben Australia who said they were fairly sure they could get it in, but never heard from them. When I owned my EX600 I was rather keen to have a silver plated cable made. I guess with the right soldering skills and experience the plugs on your cables could be switched over.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2,885 of 4,748
well, either I will get the RK1000 cable, or I may just go balance straight and get an RSA or ALO amp for my DX100.
Maybe that is an over kill~~~~~~~
Not sure it is worth it~~~~~~~~

Guess, isolation and fit will be a bigger problem to me. The insertion is very very shallow to me (or maybe customs did go too deep in ear), it is even shallower compare to my TF10. So any tips for the fitting?

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #2,886 of 4,748
Quote:
I think you have the American one which has the EX-600 cable and ofcourse we are all different to sound, I am not that fragile to sibilant so I find the treble so far just fine. 

The cable does not make a huge difference so do not stress over it. The performance difference between the EX-600 and EX-1000 cable is inaudible however on paper the are noticeable. 

Well, I think my ear is already very resistive to hot trebles. I have both T1 and ED8 from an RPX-35 paired with DAC1.(These hot hot Solid State sources makes them much hotter than those tube ones).

The thing is, even with audible sibilance on the pop and rock songs, I am pretty fine with it since most of my recordings are done properly. However, the EX1000 has a hot treble that makes a lot of instrument unreal and the fast decay makes the high too dry to me. So, I am not sure this is normal for a new driver and will be resolved after burn in, or it is just the Sony House tuning for it~~~

The fact they did a bass heavy flag ship on balanced armature driver makes me wonder maybe EX1000 is the treble boot classic approach of the flagship~~

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2,887 of 4,748
It sounds like you are better off selling it than doing all this other modification/purchases just to fix one issue. As mentioned many times in this thread EX1000 is great for many and not so great for many due to what ever reason.

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #2,888 of 4,748
Quote:
There was a member selling this silver cable for EX1000 many months ago, I contacted them asking where they bought it. In their reply they said Jaben Hong Kong, but I cannot find anything on the website, I contacted Jaben Australia who said they were fairly sure they could get it in, but never heard from them. When I owned my EX600 I was rather keen to have a silver plated cable made. I guess with the right soldering skills and experience the plugs on your cables could be switched over.

I found this, dont know if that helps

http://www.custom-iem.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=134

Mar 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2,889 of 4,748
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #2,891 of 4,748
Quote:
Interesting, I sent them an email asking, I'll come back and report in. I'm fairly confident if you wanted to sacrifice your own cable / plugs a maker could build one, but actually obtaining the EX series plugs themselves might be a problem. I know of another member who sent his spare cable away to have this done.

nice please keep us posted. 

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #2,894 of 4,748
In my view not worth it. 

I agree, not for that price, I would feel more inclined to pick up a Dark Lord cable on eBay and find someone local to rewire it. Then there's the problem if you went for something pure silver could push the debated treble over edge. I could feel from EX600 a silver plated cable probably would of helped, but I have not heard EX1000 so I'm speaking blindly. The EX1000 might be just fine as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back