Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,896 of 4,748
Quote:
It sounds like you are better off selling it than doing all this other modification/purchases just to fix one issue. As mentioned many times in this thread EX1000 is great for many and not so great for many due to what ever reason.

Well, if the issues is the house sounding, then I may consider selling it. However, if it is just the old dynamic driver issue that requires burn in, I will at least wait till it been properly burned.

Just trying to figure out which is which~~

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,897 of 4,748
I had my extra  EX600 cable recabled to a solid wired copper/gold plated cable, it did help with the bright treble, which now has a home with some of the 7550s! what a nice combo that must be, but my ASG-1.2s win out the day with me, Ted from Chris_Himself cables did the work for me, great guy great job, his e-mail address is in my profile in the cable section if you need some great cables done,

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #2,898 of 4,748
To my ears EX1000 sounds great right out of sansa clip+ far better than what it is from ipod touch latest generation! I actually prefer it to my O2+ODAC!

Can someone else double check this? I was expecting that amping EX1000 is essential based on what I have read. I actually prefer it right out of sansa clip+ ! 

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2,900 of 4,748
I had my extra  EX600 cable recabled to a solid wired copper/gold plated cable, it did help with the bright treble, which now has a home with some of the 7550s! what a nice combo that must be, but my ASG-1.2s win out the day with me, Ted from Chris_Himself cables did the work for me, great guy great job, his e-mail address is in my profile in the cable section if you need some great cables done,

thanks, will look into it

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,901 of 4,748
Quote:
To my ears EX1000 sounds great right out of sansa clip+ far better than what it is from ipod touch latest generation! I actually prefer it to my O2+ODAC!

Can someone else double check this? I was expecting that amping EX1000 is essential based on what I have read. I actually prefer it right out of sansa clip+ ! 

+1 here

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2,902 of 4,748
I'd love to know: has anyone ever tried removing the foam filter from the EX1000 and seeing if the nozzle could fit another filter - like say something from Etymotic or a Phonak PFE filter?

I'd like to be able to achieve something like a 3db cut across the treble like 7550 - but with the low distortion figures and wonderful build of the EX1000 hehe.

This is something I am super interested in, but I would hate to destroy these babies...

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #2,903 of 4,748
Okay, just wanted to report on a little experiment:

I inserted some of the "Eartip Adapters" that come with Monster Supertips (remember them?) into the nozzle of the EX1000. It turns out they are the right size and fit pretty well. This compresses down the foam filter.

Results: Inserting this makeshift filter makes the EX1000 much darker - darker than even the 7550 / EX800ST. If you ever wanted to make your EX1000 tuned for pop or electronic music, this would be the best way. I didn't like the change, but doing this confirmed a few things for me:

1. The foam filter in the nozzle really is just a cylinder of foam. It is somehow fixed at the back of the nozzle at the base.The tip adapter can be removed with something like the earwax loop cleaner in the picture and then the compressed foam can be teased back up the nozzle to sit flush with the rim.

2. The foam filter is clearly not a user-replaceable part. Be gentle with the teasing.

3. I do not know if the foam filter can be pushed all the way into the driver (which would be A Bad Thing).

4. I cannot guarantee that in this case the foam would not naturally decompress by itself and at some point push the supertip adapter out, perhaps right into your ear which would be A Bad Thing).

5. It would be possible to consistently tune the sound of the EX1000 by removing the foam filter entirely and replacing it with a acoustic filter, if one had a filter of the correct diameter. (I'll double check my friend's PFE's to see if they could possibly fit. Maybe the K3003i filter?)

If you are wondering why I'm doing this it's because I find I like my 7550's more, but wish I could compromise between the cleaner sound of the EX1000 and the more forgiving sound of the 7550.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #2,905 of 4,748
James444 , I owe my purchase to your review and I am loving my EX1000s ..thanks ! 
I have the EX1000, and have tried it on different sources, but still feel that it sounds best out of my macbook pro..wonder why..

A little more background to help resolve my query. I listen to many genres of music and since I do not find any sibilance, rock and metal works well too on the EX1000.
My EX1000 have the rkex1000lp cable...if that matters..
I have tried it on the zune HD (missed a whole lot of body and lower extensions) , 
hisoundaudio studio V ( found it too analytical and sharp not lending to the musical side of the EX1000)
iphone4 ( good but still lacking power that I could only imagine was possible with the EX1000)
sansa clip + ( thin and airy..but lacking meat)
just recently trying out a rockboxed hm 601 ( it is closest to what I hear from my macbook pro..a lot of ambience and body ..but I feel that the airyness is a bit compromised because
of the treble roll offs ..)
Im in a fix at the moment, and would like some help to discover the EX1000 to its full potential..I treasure the iem and feel it has a lot of hidden potent im not unleashing.
My options are as follows
hm601 + graham slee voyager ( too warm?? ) / headstage arrow ( no idea how the synergy will be)
HM801 - more potent..still warm to take care of the highs
iphone4 + Alo amp- no idea how it might sound ( if this option is testified by someone..it would be great as I could enjoy the iphone UI )
colorfly c4 /ibasso dx100 - no idea how it might sound

I apologise if Im reiterating a dilemma !
thanks in advance

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,907 of 4,748
I feel like Comply tips are an easier way to find that compromise. Finally tried them on my EX1000s out of curiosity since they were just sitting there after trying them on my Turbines to cure driver flex(didn't work) and they do in fact tame the upper midrange/lower treble spike some.

Tracks with noticeable sibilance often become more bearable or become void of any sibilance altogether.

The downside is on many recordings where the EX1000s just soar above the competition they sound a bit less brilliant. Darker and not as airy. It's marginal though.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,908 of 4,748
James444 I also own a thanks to you for purchasing the EX1000. Loving every moment of it. Working on finding the best synergy for it but so far I enjoy how it sounds right out of clip+ !

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,909 of 4,748
Quote:
James444 , I owe my purchase to your review and I am loving my EX1000s ..thanks ! 
I have the EX1000, and have tried it on different sources, but still feel that it sounds best out of my macbook pro..wonder why..

A little more background to help resolve my query. I listen to many genres of music and since I do not find any sibilance, rock and metal works well too on the EX1000.

Quote:
James444 I also own a thanks to you for purchasing the EX1000. Loving every moment of it. Working on finding the best synergy for it but so far I enjoy how it sounds right out of clip+ !

Shush, we don't want to draw lee730's attention!
wink.gif

Can't help much with source synergy, I'm afraid. My EX1000 don't strike me as overly picky in that regard. Out of the ones mentioned I only have the GS Voyager (paired with a Sony A845), a smooth and pleasant sounding combo that synergizes well with the EX1000.

If anything, I tend to agree with Selenium that tips may be an easier way to tune down the highs a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back