Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #2,794 of 4,748
Quote:
Depending on seal and whose graph you site, they have anywhere from 2-4db over neutral.

Quote:
+2-4 dB is "no bass" for most people --- we tend to forget
wink.gif

For the masses, +6 is "okay bass", while +8-12 is "great bass"...
biggrin.gif

Where did you guys find this information?

And what are those values / bass for the Sennheiser IE80 and the Monsters?

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,795 of 4,748
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/04/effect-of-ear-sleeves-sony-mdr-ex1000.html?m=1

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDREX1000.pdf

The others you mentioned have gobs of mid bass. You probably find those here:
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #2,800 of 4,748
The gray line is the raw graph, as it actually measured. The colored graph is the compensated version- what your ear should actually hear. That's the simple explanation. Innerfidelity and Rin's blog have a lot of useful information on interpreting graphs.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #2,801 of 4,748
Quote:
I bought the Sony EX1000. I received them today but I think the quality is awful. There is like no bass at all and the highs are too sharp. In order to hear a tiny little bit of bass you have to turn up the volume so much that the highs become very dominating and annoying. 

These are definitely gonna be returned to the store.

Make sure you have the proper seal and also let it burn in for some time before you decide on returning it to the store. You may well be likely changing your mind.

The quality of the EX1000 bass is amazing. Whether there is enough bass that can be debatable depending on individual's preference. Personally I don't find it lacking at all in its bass quantity.

The sharp treble at high notes will improve as the burn-in's progress, and yes it could be a little bothering to some individuals but personally it is tolerable/acceptable. One thing worth mentioning is to feed your dap with the quality music regardless what iem's you use.

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #2,802 of 4,748
Quote:
THanks a lot! How to read this graph? I think I need to read the first graph to get that value? How to read it?

Sorry for so many questions, but what's the +db's of bass of the  JVC HA-FX700?

The FX700s have great bass. Lots of texture, very deep, amazing timbre. But for me the quantity was the problem at higher volumes. Both treble and bass steal the show and the mids are recessed in comparison to the treble and bass. So they were relegated to very low volume listening when I had them. So in the end they just didn't get used much at all and I sold them. But if you don't mind V-shaped the FX700s are the top IMO. Also their imaging is superb. I have yet to hear an IEM that has better imaging at such low volumes compared to the FX700.

Now regarding the IE80s I've tape modded them and the mid bass is very much under control. It's all sub bass power on them now and even that is much more controlled. Treble and mids are much more detailed than before. Also the speed (prat) is much improved. I was surprised to find that the mid bass was what was really slowing things down. They are mid-centric now IMO. A heafier actually compared the mids to his UMX3 with the mod. The sound stage is about the same size just you aren't getting a false sense of size due to mid bass bloat. If the track calls for lots of bass or a little you'll get it, if the sound stage is small or large naturally in the track it will be presented that way on the IE80s. My IE80 is like a chameleon now. For an all arounder IEM they are one of the very best, especially after the tape mod. The MDR-7550s are also quite nice but I think they will lack the bass quantity you want. But they are very neutral and musical at the same time as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back