Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Oct 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2,776 of 4,748
I believe in cable differences but 1/2 -1 ohm in resistance difference isn't enough to cause it. Reisitance isn't the mearure of a cable's impedance and resistance isn't frequency specific. It works on them all equally. If there's enough to affect the damping, perhaps but I think there's other aspects we can't fully explain at work in most cable comparisons.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #2,777 of 4,748
Quote:

You obviously know the recording very well.
biggrin.gif

Each to their own, I rarely listen to rock and metal. I was interested in testing sibilance in particular with female vocals, since it's repeatedly been mentioned. Also, there's are slight but noticeable difference between the tips I tried. Surprisingly the Olives had the sharpest treble, go figure. Like Inks mentioned, listening volume plays a role too, I almost never go beyond 50% on my DAPs. Don't know whether the same would apply to a metalhead...
wink.gif

yes I know what you have done and I really appreciate it.
beerchug.gif

I have tried ex1000 on 50% volume on my itouch and it was a lot better
I had sibilant with some specific metal song (like Symphony X- domination) not all metal songs. in the end,  if anyone don't want to listen to metal songs specifically on higher volume, ex1000 will be a great iem and I choose it over w4 in those cases.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #2,778 of 4,748
Got my EXK couple of days back fresh from Japan :) Late to the party but what the heck~ Wanted a pair of dynamic IEMs to complement my TF10s while waiting for K3003 to cool off a little on the price hehe.. (would definitely help if they came out with a version with removable cables too!)

Out of the box virgin listen was kinda disappointing. Sibilance is really pretty bad... not just on female vocals but also on some male vocals as well. Crossed my fingers and started burning em in on white noise over 30 hours with volume set to 2 notches above my usual listening volume.

Happy to say that miraculously I haven't been detecting much sibilance hence. Some peaks still exist, but hardly as bad as that first listen. Enjoying the bass difference in dynamics... almost as deep and tight as headphones like my Ed 8, definitely alot more natural sounding drums than BA phones.

Ergonomics wise.. the included eartips didn't work out for my oily ears... kept popping out. So I got myself some Comply TX-200s (T-400 from my TF10 works too) with ear wax guards, to prevent any ear wax from clogging up the filter that the EXK strangely has exposed. Might have helped damp the treble spikes a tad too. After having survived with the TF10 for so long, I'm kinda of an expert in stuffing in strange objects in my ear, so the EXKs were easy to go in. Tilting the earphones to the front some helps relieve the pain that it causes when upright too. Personally I don't find isolation an issue once the music's playing... can't understand why it's such an issue on so many forums >..<

My EXK came with the RK-EX1000 cables... with hollow tubings that don't inspire too much confidence. I wouldn't want to try stretching the cables by accident... Otherwise they seem to do the job well, and do not get tangled up unlike my TF10's Null Audio Lune cables.

Probably won't be doing any more burning in since I'm happy with the sound its giving out now. Just looking forward to the arrival of my Fostex HP-P1 to see if they would improve the SQ much. No chance to get out of the house to try the RSAs with these phones at the local audio shops cos of newborn that just joined the family last week :)

Will update again if anyone's interested in the pairing up with the Fostex~

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2,779 of 4,748
Congrats! (Both, the EXK and 1000times for the baby of course :)

I have plenty hours on the EX1000 since I received it a couple of weeks ago. This dammed thing is getting better and better, it's the best inear I ever had.

It works great with Zune Player HD, but not this good with the FiiO 17, to harsh and analytic. Even the cheap Little Bear portable headphone amp is better than the Alpen. (Little Bear = 5532 driver and tube hybrid)

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #2,781 of 4,748
What kind of isolation?
You don't lower windnoise with tips, and if overall isolation is ment, good fitting foam tips works best.

To me, tip recommendations are not easy to do, it's simply to individual.

The good thing: With the EX1000 you get a lot of different tips, you just need to add some pure foam tips to complete the line up.

I started with Sonys foam silicon hybrid tips (M), and ended with the regular Sony silicon tips (M). Waiting for Comply foams now, but I'm pretty happy with the plain silicon tips. Isolation is good, the silicon is good quality, soft and flexible.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #2,782 of 4,748
Emm... I stuck some loose cotton (not balled up) into the Comply Tx-200 where the wax guard is... and I think the issue with the treble's more or less gone... or at least does not make me cringe when they appear anymore. Not sure if anyone else have tried it and if it works for you? Could just be placebo... :D

*update*

Ok maybe not such a great idea.. Veils the overall output too.. Depends on how bad your sibilance issue is I guess?

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #2,783 of 4,748
Just received my HP-P1... Holy Crap! Sounds amazing~!!! Using filter 1 I'm not detecting any nasty spikes at all... all very nicely tapered, the vocals are SO FORWARD! Soundstage depth is very nicely layered now compared to just i-device to amp...

This setup has just made my EXK keepers~!

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,784 of 4,748
Goldenears.net just tested the E-q5. They have tested the GR10 in the past. Compare the curves. Significantly different with the GR10 having more bass and better high frequency extension as Grado claims. I've contended that it's likely the current cream of the MA crop. Whether someone prefers it to other things or not will always be personal. The pair that was originally in this review were defective so those that heard them as less than stellar were not mistaken. In fact, I'd say they were kind if they sounded like when I heard them. An unfortunate situation but also not representative nor common. The build has also proven to be quite durable. E-q5, not so much. That said, I quite like the e-q5 with hybrid tips
bigsmile_face.gif
and feel that the compromises are part of the attractive pricing.  I mostly preferred it to the very good W2 for instance. p.s. W2 can be had for $187 at earphone solutions right now.

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2,785 of 4,748
Goldenears.net just tested the E-q5. They have tested the GR10 in the past. Compare the curves. Significantly different with the GR10 having more bass and better high frequency extension as Grado claims. I've contended that it's likely the current cream of the MA crop. Whether someone prefers it to other things or not will always be personal. The pair that was originally in this review were defective so those that heard them as less than stellar were not mistaken. In fact, I'd say they were kind if they sounded like when I heard them. An unfortunate situation but also not representative nor common. The build has also proven to be quite durable. E-q5, not so much. That said, I quite like the e-q5 with hybrid tips :bigsmile_face: and feel that the compromises are part of the attractive pricing.  I mostly preferred it to the very good W2 for instance. p.s. W2 can be had for $187 at earphone solutions right now.

GE seems to be using a big Comply tips for the testing though. I wonder how much effect that will have on the FR curve. I wish they used the stock eartips as that will make the comparison to GR10 more direct.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,787 of 4,748
I've tried them all and the JVC fx-700 are definitely the best. Crazy bass, amazing timbre, and some of the clearest highs around. The ex-1000 are extremely revealing and can be very harsh when listening to pop music. Not very forgiving with low bit rate tracks

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2,788 of 4,748
I bought the Sony EX1000. I received them today but I think the quality is awful. There is like no bass at all and the highs are too sharp. In order to hear a tiny little bit of bass you have to turn up the volume so much that the highs become very dominating and annoying. 

These are definitely gonna be returned to the store.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #2,789 of 4,748
I wonder if there are different EX1000 out there ... really.
My version of the EX has neither 'tiny bass' nor 'sharp highs' , most other users are extreme happy with this phones as well. Only some are heavily pissed ... mmmhh.

BTW: I tried the comfy foam tips today in the studio, they fit well and are easy on. Noise cancellation is a bit better than the Sony silicon tips, sound is pretty good so far. Hard to tell which tip is better sounding, guess I prefer the silicons at home, the comfys in public.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,790 of 4,748
Quote:
I bought the Sony EX1000. I received them today but I think the quality is awful. There is like no bass at all and the highs are too sharp. In order to hear a tiny little bit of bass you have to turn up the volume so much that the highs become very dominating and annoying. 

These are definitely gonna be returned to the store.

What earphones were you using previously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back