Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Nov 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2,357 of 4,748
It probably doesn't sound harsh on its own but when compared to the EX1000 it's less refined and smooth. Of course no complains with its current price. I notice quite a difference in the housing shape and vent position, not sure if anyone mentioned it here earlier. The material is obviously different and the nozzle entry shape and possibly size is quite different as well. It seems the Sony engineers put more thought into designing the EX1000, perfecting small things like the nozzle to get that amazingly clean and refined sound.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,359 of 4,748
Damn, some of the paint chipped off mine today. Purely cosmetic, but still...
confused_face.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #2,362 of 4,748
Yeah, I know. I've had my EX600 longer and text on the underside hasn't even begun to fade. Must have something to do with the magnesium on the 1000s.

Quote:
Quote:

Been there. Wasn't too happy about it myself. Ironically, doesn't seem to be the case with the EX600. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #2,364 of 4,748
just got my fx700 in right now.  these things are tanks. i love it. they feel so solid in my hand.  wish i had a better ear and more time to compare them to my twag'd ie8s.  to me, its not so cut and dry that the fx700 is superior to the twag'd ie8.  but then again, this is with about an hour on the fx700 :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2,365 of 4,748
[size=10pt]FX100 does benefit from burn in(heavily), I got it 2weeks ago, before 40 hours burn in I decided to sell it off, it has been no match to even Re0 but hold off the sale because of heavy shipping cost from Aust. Well since I got it then patiently waited after 100th hour burn in then try again. Now I feel like having a honeymoon with it. Haven’t touched Re272 and Re262 since.[/size]
[size=10pt]Compared to Re272, With FX700 I feel like being in a theatre concert, at middle of few rows away from stage I can hear full sound, details (even timbre from stage) and separation, then put on Re272 [/size][size=10pt]I feel like running out side the theatre, only hear the high, average mid with minimal low…(almost missing low thought I had the seal problem) I must wait for few hours before using the RE272 to hear again it normal sound.[/size]
[size=10pt]Sorry not very good at describing this properly, but IMO FX700 has tanks of sound quality, it is very musical earphone.[/size]
[size=10pt]Still wonder if EX1000 is better and worth another $300+ [/size][size=10pt]L[/size]
[size=10pt]BTW: Important to have a proper FX700 fitting: suitable tips and loose wearing for me as it is still too bassy if it is fit right in. I got it as new from another head fier, The tips that give me best sound quality are not from JVC stock set.[/size]

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #2,366 of 4,748

Quote:
[size=10pt]FX100 does benefit from burn in(heavily), I got it 2weeks ago, before 40 hours burn in I decided to sell it off, it has been no match to even Re0 but hold off the sale because of heavy shipping cost from Aust. Well since I got it then patiently waited after 100th hour burn in then try again. Now I feel like having a honeymoon with it. Haven’t touched Re272 and Re262 since.[/size]
[size=10pt]Compared to Re272, With FX700 I feel like being in a theatre concert, at middle of few rows away from stage I can hear full sound, details (even timbre from stage) and separation, then put on Re272 [/size][size=10pt]I feel like running out side the theatre, only hear the high, average mid with minimal low…(almost missing low thought I had the seal problem) I must wait for few hours before using the RE272 to hear again it normal sound.[/size]
[size=10pt]Sorry not very good at describing this properly, but IMO FX700 has tanks of sound quality, it is very musical earphone.[/size]
[size=10pt]Still wonder if EX1000 is better and worth another $300+ [/size][size=10pt]L[/size]
[size=10pt]BTW: Important to have a proper FX700 fitting: suitable tips and loose wearing for me as it is still too bassy if it is fit right in. I got it as new from another head fier, The tips that give me best sound quality are not from JVC stock set.[/size]

I think you described it just fine.  Glad you like them and gave them a chance.  I also wear them loosely because it has better balance and gives it a wider soundstage.  For the EX1000, it is smoother and more relaxed sound which I adore.  I think it's different to the FX700's in your face type of sound.  If you can afford it, it's nice to have both.  

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #2,367 of 4,748

Quote:
I think you described it just fine.  Glad you like them and gave them a chance.  I also wear them loosely because it has better balance and gives it a wider soundstage.  For the EX1000, it is smoother and more relaxed sound which I adore.  I think it's different to the FX700's in your face type of sound.  If you can afford it, it's nice to have both.  

I heard the Sony EX1000s completely different from you. They weren't mellow at all to these ears. Very sibilant and fatiguing. I find the FX700s much smoother than the EX1000s. Most people don't hear that treble spike in the lower region but I clearly heard it and it ruined an otherwise good IEM.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,368 of 4,748
What do you think's more likely? That you, an individual, had some sort of fit issue, bad 'phone, various other issue, etc., or that almost everyone else is hard of hearing and wrong?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,369 of 4,748
I'd hardly say he's the only case if you actually read the threads.  Feel free to answer your own question here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDREX1000.pdf

Look at the spike at 5k'ish and the corresponding spike in the impedance curve suggesting a correlating effect relatively dependent on volume.  I had to turn the volume down to avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back