Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Feb 12, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #4,036 of 4,748
1 driver vs multiple drivers & tech.

Thats why EX1000 is a legend. old but gold, a blast from the past

Also newer products are more expensive. It’s like a price war here to see how much people will pay for audio gear (and it’s apparently a lot, seeing as even the $8000 dmp-z1 supposedly sells decently well...)

Personally I’d take the ex1000 over the M9 though.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #4,037 of 4,748
Also newer products are more expensive. It’s like a price war here to see how much people will pay for audio gear (and it’s apparently a lot, seeing as even the $8000 dmp-z1 supposedly sells decently well...)

Personally I’d take the ex1000 over the M9 though.

Its definitely became a sellers market with in the headphone/personal audio community. There's way too many people willing to spend increasingly more for the "latest and greatest". I have possibly the best amp I'll ever own, and it's from the 1970s, I also have one of the best headphones I'll ever own(he4) its discontinued and its single sided technology remains a mainstay. The ex1k is the best in ear ive heard to date, which doesnt say alot for me im not well versed in high end iems. Problem is the manufacturers know they can get it, look at the focal lineup, and meze emperyean, and the bull hifiman has done gouging the market. I believe that's why we're seeing chi fi starting to really compete, a lot of us wont pay over 1k for anything . right now price-performance is in chi fi, and up and coming companies until they can gouge as well (meze)

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #4,038 of 4,748
Has anyone here tried to make their own connections with these?

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=6235

And

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5347

It "looks" like it could be done rather easily with some epoxy and wire. I've done a few 2 pin to mmcx conversions and it's not really that difficult if you have a basic soldering iron. I have a IMR R1 and R1 Zenith. While they are incredibly bassy, I've have always been curious about the Sony EX1000 and the ultimate basshead potential. But like many of you, am put off by the proprietary connectors. Has anyone attempted this before? I'd rather not pay someone a ridiculous amount of money for some custom connections that I can myself...

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #4,039 of 4,748
Has anyone here tried to make their own connections with these?

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=6235

And

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5347

It "looks" like it could be done rather easily with some epoxy and wire. I've done a few 2 pin to mmcx conversions and it's not really that difficult if you have a basic soldering iron. I have a IMR R1 and R1 Zenith. While they are incredibly bassy, I've have always been curious about the Sony EX1000 and the ultimate basshead potential. But like many of you, am put off by the proprietary connectors. Has anyone attempted this before? I'd rather not pay someone a ridiculous amount of money for some custom connections that I can myself...

I honestly would just buy an original ex cable on eBay and cut it to get the connectors. You can randomly get them for 40$ or so. The others are complete crap plastic . I'm going to buy another soon to just get the original connectors to make my own ex1k-2pin adapters

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #4,040 of 4,748
I honestly would just buy an original ex cable on eBay and cut it to get the connectors. You can randomly get them for 40$ or so. The others are complete crap plastic . I'm going to buy another soon to just get the original connectors to make my own ex1k-2pin adapters

What about opening the iem shell and replacing the connector? Has anyone attempted that?

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #4,041 of 4,748
What about opening the iem shell and replacing the connector? Has anyone attempted that?

I myself am not courageous enough for that.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #4,043 of 4,748
Alright yal here we go again. I sold my moondrop kpe because at the end of the day i just enjoy my ex1k more. Looking at jvc fd01 hoping to get it soon. Im at a loss for what i really want, was looking at the fearless s6rui but its such a hype train right now id rather wait for it to calm down before purchasing. That and i really dont think im much of a fan of BA setups.

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #4,044 of 4,748
Well you have the arguable pinnacle of dynamic driver IEMs. If you sold off the KPE, there probably isn't much of an upgrade path. I noticed mine have really opened up after the 100 hour burn in mark. I hit mine hard with a lot of subbass too. Oh well. Maybe that Oxygen IEM might appeal to you.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #4,045 of 4,748
Well you have the arguable pinnacle of dynamic driver IEMs. If you sold off the KPE, there probably isn't much of an upgrade path. I noticed mine have really opened up after the 100 hour burn in mark. I hit mine hard with a lot of subbass too. Oh well. Maybe that Oxygen IEM might appeal to you.

My kpe had over 100hrs of burn in. I used them alot and liked them, but whenecer i would go back to the ex1k i felt there wasnt a reason to go back to the kpe. Im not looking to get rid of my ex1k by the way, just finding a new toy is all. Guess i could just buy that oriolus ba300s tube amp instead of an iem!

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #4,047 of 4,748
Just checked prices of ex1000 on ebay after like 4 weeks and these got insane!!!
Anybody know what's going on?
The EX1000 is out of production and the few remaining ones are being sold off at insane collectors prices.
The EX800ST is still available though in Japan at regular price. Got myself 2 pairs....

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #4,048 of 4,748
My kpe had over 100hrs of burn in. I used them alot and liked them, but whenecer i would go back to the ex1k i felt there wasnt a reason to go back to the kpe. Im not looking to get rid of my ex1k by the way, just finding a new toy is all. Guess i could just buy that oriolus ba300s tube amp instead of an iem!

I also sold my KPE after getting the JVC HA-FD02 and modding them for a neutral frequency response.
Describing them here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-13#post-14870966
I really liked the KPE, but they can’t keep up with the FD02.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #4,050 of 4,748
Just checked prices of ex1000 on ebay after like 4 weeks and these got insane!!!
Anybody know what's going on?
Perfectly normal, it happens with many Sony iem, especially those classic ones, which can inflate over 50 times the normal price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back