Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Mar 15, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #91 of 4,748
Okay guys, I understand and thanks for your responses. I admit I am curious about W4 and this Sony, but not curious enough where I am trying to pull the funds together to try them out (as I was with the SM3, SE535 or even the DDM).

Yes, the 1964-Q has so far remained that satisfying to my ears where as I have found my true sound signature, and if anything I want to explore the customs world more (eventually). That's not to say I'm through with universals.

Now, I do think my next move is to get the Custom 3 (to me what the SE535 should have sounded like) reshelled and turned into a custom. If that goes well, I think I will do the same thing for the SM2. After that (and down the line and hopefully when used ones pop up), I'll try this Sony or the W4. Thanks again for your impressions fellas. Happy listening.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
eric-
I think I still prefer the 'idea' of universals, and how they are more easy to sell if you're not content with the sound over time (and we both know how that can happen to even the seemingly most vaunted kings of the heap!).... I'm sure the quads you have must be amazing though! However, these EX1000s do some amazing things too, and with that impact which only dynamic drivers can provide. Isolation is another matter though... not as bad as the DDM, or FX700, but worse than the SM3 for sure. Probably somewhere right around the IE8, maybe a touch less. 

Quote:

Maybe they were stiffer out of the box, I don't remember. Now, if I bend a good bit further than to where I want them, they just shift halfway back and stay put.

Hi Eric, my position in this matter is pretty straightforward: the day I hear a multi driver universal or customs demo pair that manages to impress me more than an EX1000 or FI-BA-SS, I will consider going custom. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt your personal impressions and I'm genuinely happy for you - but my own musical highlights so far have invariably been with single driver IEMs, so I believe my taste is just somewhat ... different.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #92 of 4,748

Quote:
dfkt-
Glad you like their sound. I'm still struggling some with their form and fit too. For me it's even a little worse than the fit of the DDMs. But once I manage to get them settled for a while, their sound is spectacular. The thing that gets me is the amount of space they convey. By comparison the SM3s sound a little boxy and constricted. I remember when I got that first great seal with the Earsonics they did that to all my other IEMs (and that includes all my previous top tiers-- FX700, IE8, MD), and now here they are on the receiving end of that same effect. I suppose it's because the EX1000s are dynamic driver IEMs done right, so you get all that tactile quality, impact, and weight to the sound. While the SM3s were/are BA triples done very well, the EX1Ks show the inherent problems (to me anyway) with BA drivers. 

Will you be doing a full review of them?

Hi cn11, what are your thoughts on the FX700 vs. the EX1000's?

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #93 of 4,748
My comments are from memory, but-- 

I recall the FX700s being more harsh and biting in the treble range. I think they had a bigger, more full low end, but the EX1K is pretty close in low extension just not as fleshed out in the mid bass area. Therefore the overall sound is cleaner. Treble is just so nice on the Sonys. It's definitely less fatiguing than how I remember the JVCs, but I wouldn't say they're ultra honey glazed or anything. Soundstage, space, and layering is where the Sonys really are in a whole new league though. I remember the SM3s presenting a much broader space than the FX700s when I first got them, and now the EX1Ks are doing that to the SM3s. So that's a good point of reference for me on the soundstage widths, and what the Sonys can do. 

I don't want to go too far with comparisons between the two because like I said I don't own them anymore. James may be a better person to address more in depth nuances between the two earphones since I believe he still has both. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #95 of 4,748
Whoah, dfkt has an EX1000 already! Liking what I hear from cn11, James, and dfkt so far.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #96 of 4,748
Just curious as in James' review, it seems like the EX1000 are slightly better than the FX700's (or slight improvement over what the FX700 currently does) or perhaps a matter of listener preference as they were somewhat the similar in sound signature.

So just curious of the three that have the EX1000 and have had or have the FX700, (James, cn11, dfkt), if the improvement of the EX1000 is that great over the FX700, like $150 dollars greater?

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #97 of 4,748

Quote:
Just curious as in James' review, it seems like the EX1000 are slightly better than the FX700's (or slight improvement over what the FX700 currently does) or perhaps a matter of listener preference as they were somewhat the similar in sound signature.

So just curious of the three that have the EX1000 and have had or have the FX700, (James, cn11, dfkt), if the improvement of the EX1000 is that great over the FX700, like $150 dollars greater?

Me too! I just ordered the FX700 but now with all the praise the sony's seem to be getting I might be tempted to save up for them instead and hold out till the price drops. Damn so many choices!

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #98 of 4,748

Quote:
Whoah, dfkt has an EX1000 already!

I got James' pair as a loaner, but I hate him very much already, since I sure have to get my own pair after what I heard so far. :D

(I didn't have that reaction with the FX700, since they just wouldn't fit my need for basic isolation, and their "fun" frequency response might be not up to par to the honest, linear one of the EX1000 in the long run.)

Also, after hearing these, the Z1000 cn11 mentioned (and loved) just became even more crave-worthy as well. I'd die to hear the "full-sized version" of the EX.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #99 of 4,748

Quote:
No problem, PM me with your address and I'll send you my pair. I can also include others if you want to try them and maybe bring along to the UK meet. The SE530, FI-BA-SS, e-Q5 and GR10 are currently lent to other members, but there's still some stuff left.
wink.gif

Wow, thanks James 
biggrin.gif
 I'll send you a PM right away!

Quote:
Heh, yeah! Seconds....  24 hours? You know dynamic drivers take a long time to run in, and these are 16mm!! They plead more time! 
wink_face.gif

On a slightly unrelated note, I just saw the Crossroads Dome released by Jaben with 14mm driver. They're budget earphones and priced similarly to the FA Eternas if I'm not mistaken.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #100 of 4,748
Quote:

Quote:
Me too! I just ordered the FX700 but now with all the praise the sony's seem to be getting I might be tempted to save up for them instead and hold out till the price drops. Damn so many choices!

Quote:
I got James' pair as a loaner, but I hate him very much already, since I sure have to get my own pair after what I heard so far. :D

(I didn't have that reaction with the FX700, since they just wouldn't fit my need for basic isolation, and their "fun" frequency response might be not up to par to the honest, linear one of the EX1000 in the long run.)

Also, after hearing these, the Z1000 cn11 mentioned (and loved) just became even more crave-worthy as well. I'd die to hear the "full-sized version" of the EX.

Well, @dfkt don't forget that you've ranked the FX700 at the top of your IEM chart at some point. I agree their weak isolation is kind of a deal breaker if you need it, but judging solely from sound quality they put up a good fight against the Sonys.

IMO there should be two additional facts taken into account: First, I'm wearing the FX700 with a very loose seal, thereby sacrificing what little isolation they have in the first place, but gaining a more balanced frequency response with less pronounced mid-bass. Second, judging from how we hear certain other IEMs (e.g. the FI-BA-SS) I'm obviously less sensitive to treble spikes than dfkt, so I don't feel the FX700 highs are too pronounced (vs. their mids). I agree they have a slightly V-shaped signature as compared to the more linear Sonys, but that's not necessarily a weakness in my book.

Lastly, different kinds of sound signatures may be more or less suitable for different musical genres, just like the HJE900 are highly regarded among lovers of guitar driven rock (even though they are more V-shaped than the FX700), because they seem to have a special synergy with electric guitars. However, I was frankly just speculating when I said the EX1000's smoother, more romantic and less aggressive sound signature would be less than ideal for aggressive musical genres, since I rarely listen to that kind of music. The recent feedback from cn11 and dfkt, who have both more experience than me with such genres, seem to indicate that I simply might have been wrong.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #101 of 4,748
Dude I seriously need to hear these.

A lot of things mentioned remind me of the new Atrio mg7.

Seriously. I think the Sm3 might be getting some buddies. I also think he might be threatened.:cool:

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #102 of 4,748

Quote:
Dude I seriously need to hear these.

A lot of things mentioned remind me of the new Atrio mg7.

Seriously. I think the Sm3 might be getting some buddies. I also think he might be threatened.
cool.gif

Yes.... 'he' should feel very nervous indeed. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #103 of 4,748

Quote:

Well, @dfkt don't forget that you've ranked the FX700 at the top of your IEM chart at some point. I agree their weak isolation is kind of a deal breaker if you need it, but judging solely from sound quality they put up a good fight against the Sonys.

Indeed - I chalk that up to the "live and learn" department. I was really floored by how exciting the FX700 sounded, by the amazing first impression I had about them. In the end, I can describe it as being similar to seeing a glossy TFT monitor in a store next to a matte one. The glossy screen will usually have popping colors and a really crisp image, while the matte monitor will appear more unassuming next to it. On first impression the glossy one sure would be the winner - but once you're at home with that glossy screen, you'll notice all the reflections and glare on it, and might realize the matte one would have been a better choice in the long run.

Don't get me wrong: I still think the FX700 are awesome sounding, from memory - but I sure got somewhat overexcited and carried away in my earlier assessment of them. Might be the same with the Sonys now, to be honest. :wink: (Since I just realized another rather annoying flaw with them - they are *very* susceptible to wind noise. Today's Viennese weather sure isn't favorable to their design.)

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #104 of 4,748
@ dfkt, any experience w/ the Sonys "burning out" as you described the IE8s? You said the IE8's started to sound more dull w/ burn-in; noticing the same thing w/ the EX1000s?

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #105 of 4,748

Quote:
Indeed - I chalk that up to the "live and learn" department. I was really floored by how exciting the FX700 sounded, by the amazing first impression I had about them. In the end, I can describe it as being similar to seeing a glossy TFT monitor in a store next to a matte one. The glossy screen will usually have popping colors and a really crisp image, while the matte monitor will appear more unassuming next to it. On first impression the glossy one sure would be the winner - but once you're at home with that glossy screen, you'll notice all the reflections and glare on it, and might realize the matte one would have been a better choice in the long run.

Don't get me wrong: I still think the FX700 are awesome sounding, from memory - but I sure got somewhat overexcited and carried away in my earlier assessment of them. Might be the same with the Sonys now, to be honest. :wink: (Since I just realized another rather annoying flaw with them - they are *very* susceptible to wind noise. Today's Viennese weather sure isn't favorable to their design.)

I can see that totally.... I noticed a breeze feeling like it gets in just from getting up and walking around an indoor room.... can't imagine what it's like outside on a windy day. Not a good characteristic apparently. I see that each earphone body has two vents on them. Maybe that's why it's particularly bad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back