Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
May 27, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #4,456 of 4,748
Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #4,458 of 4,748
Anyone have any recommendations for replacement tips for the EX1K? Should i just give up on trying to find an original pair and buy JVC Spiral dots?
I found Sony tips for cheap (standard collection that comes with the EX800ST, not the extended one of the EX1k) and even after trying many others, including Symbio, Azla Sedna and Spiral Dots I always come back to the Sony tips. For me they provide the best bass response, quality, extension and quantity, and are the best match.
Only thing I don't like is that they produce some noise when I move and the fit is not very secure.

May 27, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #4,459 of 4,748
I kind of like Shure Olives w/ the wax guard cut out. Blurs the imaging a bit but very comfortable, wouldn't recommend ordering them just for ex1k but if you have some on hand worth a try.

All my other favorite non-Sony tips are out of production so I guess I'll be having to experiment with newfangled brand tips eventually too.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #4,460 of 4,748
Got my cheap ass mmcx adapters and a super nice isn s4 cable 2 days ago. Time to cable roll the ex1k, want to see how the $400 dunu noble cable sounds( doubt ill notice a difference) but that cable has angled mmcx connectors so it will work better for comfort. The s4 cable is super soft but not goingto lie, the non angled adapter isnt the best idea. Ill buy an angled set soon, just not the $200 one i am too cheap.
20200528_151903.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #4,461 of 4,748
The dunu noble cable with the flat mmcx adapters is a hit! Love it. 20200529_194402.jpg

May 31, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #4,462 of 4,748
Got my cheap ass mmcx adapters and a super nice isn s4 cable 2 days ago. Time to cable roll the ex1k, want to see how the $400 dunu noble cable sounds( doubt ill notice a difference) but that cable has angled mmcx connectors so it will work better for comfort. The s4 cable is super soft but not goingto lie, the non angled adapter isnt the best idea. Ill buy an angled set soon, just not the $200 one i am too cheap.20200528_151903.jpg

yeah, the flat adapter makes the fit a bit weird since most MMCX connectors are straight. The Hakugei angled ones are much nicer and fits much better.

1590934405197.png

May 31, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #4,463 of 4,748
yeah, the flat adapter makes the fit a bit weird since most MMCX connectors are straight. The Hakugei angled ones are much nicer and fits much better.

Those are the ones im ordering now, looked around 45$ from aliexpress unless theres somewhere else i should order them from?

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #4,464 of 4,748
I finally got around to writing a review for this great IEM: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mdr-ex1000.13158/reviews#item-review-23787

In the process, I found two major parts where paint is chipping :rolling_eyes: pretty sad
I also need to get a new cable cause my current one sucks.
Has anyone had success doing the MMCX or 2-pin mods on the original cable? Where you put the MMCX connector right at the end of the earhook? This way you get the sweet moldable earhook with an MMCX end on it.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #4,465 of 4,748
I finally got around to writing a review for this great IEM: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mdr-ex1000.13158/reviews#item-review-23787

In the process, I found two major parts where paint is chipping :rolling_eyes: pretty sad
Has anyone had success doing the MMCX or 2-pin mods on the original cable? Where you put the MMCX connector right at the end of the earhook? This way you get the sweet moldable earhook with an MMCX end on it.
what source are you using them with?

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #4,466 of 4,748

May as well just reterminate the plug end to 2.5 or 4.4 whatever you want. Thatd be easier and has been done several times. Also, yes mine have paint chips as well.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #4,467 of 4,748
what source are you using them with?

I used them either with Apple USB-C dongle or the JDS Atom amp.

May as well just reterminate the plug end to 2.5 or 4.4 whatever you want. Thatd be easier and has been done several times. Also, yes mine have paint chips as well.

Haha I should have given more context. My stock EX1000 cable is bad now, one side cuts in and out. So reterminating the plug won't help me in this case. I got those MMCX adapters that everyone uses but I really like the earhooks so I thought I could at least salvage the stock cable's earhooks and connector.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #4,468 of 4,748

Haha I should have given more context. My stock EX1000 cable is bad now, one side cuts in and out. So reterminating the plug won't help me in this case. I got those MMCX adapters that everyone uses but I really like the earhooks so I thought I could at least salvage the stock cable's earhooks and connector.

Oh gotcha, thats over my diy ability. I will say, im using the dunu noble cable that comes with the dk4001, with the mmcx adapters, and i dont miss those comfy ear guides yet.

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #4,469 of 4,748

That is interesting, because throughout your excellent review I somehow had the feeling that you are describing the EX1000 a little differently to what I hear paired with the Mojo.
Specifically the way you describe the bass, like in this sentence:
"Despite its large 16 mm size, the EX1000's driver is by no means slow but does lack a sense of speed and finesse compared to BAs. Instead, it strikes a very careful balance between preserving the weighty impact and realistic decay of a massive dynamic driver while preventing it from sounding sloppy and slow. It balances between boomy and punchy, with enough refinement to cut cleanly through bass lines."

I don't know the SQ of the Apple dongle, but the Atom should have more than enough power and control.
My observation is that while I am blown away by the power and control of the bass with the Mojo, your description reminds me a bit of listening to it with my other sources.
If you have a chance to listen to the EX1k with the Mojo I'd be curious what you think!
In the meantime I'll get the IER-M9 in about a month and will listen to the bass lines with both these IEMs and think of your description!

Really nice review by the way!
Love how much useful information you provide in a compact form.
I'm working on a review of the JVC FD02 and if it turns out as well as your's I'll be very happy!

Jun 8, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #4,470 of 4,748
That is interesting, because throughout your excellent review I somehow had the feeling that you are describing the EX1000 a little differently to what I hear paired with the Mojo.
Specifically the way you describe the bass, like in this sentence:
"Despite its large 16 mm size, the EX1000's driver is by no means slow but does lack a sense of speed and finesse compared to BAs. Instead, it strikes a very careful balance between preserving the weighty impact and realistic decay of a massive dynamic driver while preventing it from sounding sloppy and slow. It balances between boomy and punchy, with enough refinement to cut cleanly through bass lines."

My observation is that while I am blown away by the power and control of the bass with the Mojo, your description reminds me a bit of listening to it with my other sources.
If you have a chance to listen to the EX1k with the Mojo I'd be curious what you think!
In the meantime I'll get the IER-M9 in about a month and will listen to the bass lines with both these IEMs and think of your description!

Really nice review by the way!
Love how much useful information you provide in a compact form.
I'm working on a review of the JVC FD02 and if it turns out as well as your's I'll be very happy!

Thank you for your kind words. I'll give a Mojo a try if I ever can and report back.

I don't mean the EX1000 to be lacking in control. It's just that compared to BAs it lacks a sense of speed. I guess an easy frame of reference would be the ER4SR and Fearless S6 Pro which I also have. There the bass feels fast and nimble, able to turn at the drop of a hat. But it totally lacks the raw sense of power and weight that the EX1000 has. And between the two, we all know which is the winner haha. I've also demo'd the Sony IER-Z1R and compared to that, it feels a little like the EX1000's magnets aren't as strong in comparison. The Z1R has noticeably better slam and authority and once again, is a bit faster. But the trade-off is it doesn't have the same texture or feeling of fullness that comes with the EX1000's 16 mm DD.

Funny you mention the M9. If I had an IEM I would upgrade from the EX1000, the M9 is my current pick, even if they are wholly different IEMs. A note about their bass line: I would not be surprised if it is different from my description here. Sony's own in-house BA's for the M7/M9 for the bass sounds significantly different from regular BA bass, which is what I'm comparing to here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back