Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Dec 7, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #3,886 of 4,748
Hello, I tried to find it myself but, the only new one I found on Taobao is sold out, and is too pricey from elsewhere, so I ask also here if anyone want to sell his ex1000 to me :ksc75smile:, I'm looking for a light used item or in "like new condition"

Thanks in advance

Ok, I got brand new EX1000’s like 2 or 3 weeks ago, so they are practically new. Original packaging and all, and they come with the better type of cables - the 1.2m and 0.6m 7N copper cables. Apart from those two cables that come in the original packaging, I bought a second 0.6m 7N cable which I reterminated to balanced with a 2.5mm TRRS connector by Oyaide (the new one that just appeared on the market, sells in excess of $30). So I have both unbalanced and balanced cables for them.

As I am in love with my Focal Utopia, the EX1000 didn’t get more than 5-6 hours of listening, so it’s not even burned in yet. Now I wish to invest in a better DAC/amp for the Utopia’s, and might as well sell the EX1000 to fund that venture. I haven’t made a firm decision yet though. But I need to warn you, it ain’t gonna be cheap for you.

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #3,887 of 4,748
Ok, I got brand new EX1000’s like 2 or 3 weeks ago, so they are practically new. Original packaging and all, and they come with the better type of cables - the 1.2m and 0.6m 7N copper cables. Apart from those two cables that come in the original packaging, I bought a second 0.6m 7N cable which I reterminated to balanced with a 2.5mm TRRS connector by Oyaide (the new one that just appeared on the market, sells in excess of $30). So I have both unbalanced and balanced cables for them.

As I am in love with my Focal Utopia, the EX1000 didn’t get more than 5-6 hours of listening, so it’s not even burned in yet. Now I wish to invest in a better DAC/amp for the Utopia’s, and might as well sell the EX1000 to fund that venture. I haven’t made a firm decision yet though. But I need to warn you, it ain’t gonna be cheap for you.

Pm

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #3,888 of 4,748
Hello, I tried to find it myself but, the only new one I found on Taobao is sold out, and is too pricey from elsewhere, so I ask also here if anyone want to sell his ex1000 to me :ksc75smile:, I'm looking for a light used item or in "like new condition"

Thanks in advance
I found on taobao just a few minutes ago, at least 12 sellers selling brand new ones around USD350 each.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #3,889 of 4,748
I found on taobao just a few minutes ago, at least 12 sellers selling brand new ones around USD350 each.

Yep, that’s true. Around $350 without shipping. And shipping is possible only within China as far as I know.

Dec 7, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #3,891 of 4,748
Yep, that’s true. Around $350 without shipping. And shipping is possible only within China as far as I know.
Shipping is only about USD 5 to Hong Kong, and a few Asian countries, they do send international, but you have to get pass the registration part for a account to use Taobao, you can also use a shipping company to make a purchase without a account.

The main question is, are you willing to part this amount of cash in Taobao with minimum protection.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,892 of 4,748
Shipping is only about USD 5 to Hong Kong, and a few Asian countries, they do send international, but you have to get pass the registration part for a account to use Taobao, you can also use a shipping company to make a purchase without a account.

The main question is, are you willing to part this amount of cash in Taobao with minimum protection.

It is not difficult to have an account, I have one, using Google translate, I found more items through the app, but there there isn't any Google translate and you have to navigate recognising the icons, then it is possible to chat with the sellers, but it is difficult, at least to me, to find a shop that sells outside China...and then yes, it is a problem the minimum protection

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #3,893 of 4,748
It is not difficult to have an account, I have one, using Google translate, I found more items through the app, but there there isn't any Google translate and you have to navigate recognising the icons, then it is possible to chat with the sellers, but it is difficult, at least to me, to find a shop that sells outside China...and then yes, it is a problem the minimum protection
I also have difficult in communication, shipping outside china is not done by the seller, its a service offered by Taobao, called consolidation shipping where you combined all the item and ship it as one, some sellers don't like it and does not allow there item to be added as consolidation shipping.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #3,894 of 4,748
I also have difficult in communication, shipping outside china is not done by the seller, its a service offered by Taobao, called consolidation shipping where you combined all the item and ship it as one, some sellers don't like it and does not allow there item to be added as consolidation shipping.

I didn't know that, it is a little more clear now

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #3,895 of 4,748
I didn't know that, it is a little more clear now
But still if something goes wrong, you still have to communicate with Taobao, and they will tell you to contact the shipping company, and it goes on and on, usual it's by phone. So I only buy little things or cheap stuff, if it goes wrong, I call it a lose.

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,896 of 4,748
But still if something goes wrong, you still have to communicate with Taobao, and they will tell you to contact the shipping company, and it goes on and on, usual it's by phone. So I only buy little things or cheap stuff, if it goes wrong, I call it a lose.

Exactly the reason why I had them personally delivered to me by my father in law who works in Beijing.

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3,897 of 4,748
Exactly the reason why I had them personally delivered to me by my father in law who works in Beijing.
I don't have anyone who can sent item it me, I live in Hong Kong, I've had problem with sellers sending wrong item, or damage item. but have taobao sending the stuff will require less communication between me and the seller, since items I buy is cheap, I just call it a loss.

I was tempted to get a EX1000, but never did go all the way to make the purchase.

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #3,900 of 4,748
So, I ripped apart the ex800 cable I bought, and just used it for the connectors. First time making an actual cable, so, I'm happy. Copper is from btg, 26 gauge. Apparently I bought the biggest y split possible, which I dont like for an iem cable but oh well. I plan on making an 8 or 16 strand with the same copper at some point. What I find really odd, is, it sounds better than the 8 strand 4.4mm copper cable I bought off eBay, and I don't know why. Im not much of a believer in cable differences besides copper vs silver, so maybe the ebay cable has a fault or bad solder in it? I switched back and fourth, and as much as I tried to convince myself theres no way they sound different...they do. My makeshift cable, that I had no expectation of sounding any different, has better bass texture, and seemingly more resolving upper mids, with slightly better treble decay. How? I'm seriously irritated, because it doesnt make sense. I need to get another quality full copper cable compare, because really, it has to be some defect in the ebay cable. I'm really weirded out by this. If its in my brain, I'm even more irritated tbh. 1219182139.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back