Someone put an end to my IEM frustration.
May 31, 2012 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Djchase

Head-Fier
Ok, so i have spent countless hours (wasted) on google and every tech site i can find in regards to sub $100 IEMs.
Every forum/post has answers but none seem to be specific to my needs, and merely generalisations.

I have read conflicting reviews about most headphones, the three that caught my attention originally are
the SHURE 215, VSONIC GR06, HIFIMAN RE0.

I will be using the IEM on a Cowon C2 + Fiio e11, playing a combination of mp3 (mainly hip hop) and FLAC (rock)
The amp has bass boosters as does the Cowon c2 so i prefer a more detailed sound with good soundstage opposed to bass heavy and recessed highs/mids.

To reiterate above: The IEMs need to be detailed, balanced, with a good soundstage so that if i change music genres i can apply the necessary EQ to match..

Thanks in advance. Ryan

Current Gear:  Hp Pavillion + Shure SRH840 + Fiio e10
                      Cowon C2 + Fiio e11 + ???
                      HTC ONE X beats enhanced + Sennheiser cx215

May 31, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 35
the RE0 sure has that midrange and treble that you might be looking for, and you have those bass enhancers if you feel the bass is lacking.

May 31, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 35
The RE0 and RE-Zero are decent choices, but their build quality is pretty crap (seen lots of issues with the earpieces falling apart). I wouldn't call either of these balanced due to what I would call a 'below neutral' level of bass.

SE215 is a good all-rounder for the price, and very durable.

May 31, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 35
Of the 3 you mentioned the GR06 would be the best out of those imo. They sound a lot like the GR07 but just not quite as good. Now if you like a real analytical sound then the RE0 would work great but it lacks in bass and the SE215 which I haven't heard seems decent but you could probably find something better at that price. If you haven't yet you should checkout jokers IEM reviews thread, the $60 to $100 section has something close to 50 reviews so that should help a lot.

The one I'd recommend is the Rockit Sounds R-50 which is a little over $100 ($119.99 shipped to be exact) but well worth it because its sounds as good or better than sets costing $300.  They use a TWFK driver like whats in the DBA-02/B2, UE700 and more an the way they tune it is great imo.  Its detailed and very smooth with a good bass response and a larger than average soundstage, you can read my full review of them in the R-50 thread.  They have them on Amazon and the 2 reviews on there are both 5 star.

May 31, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 35
Sucks that i cant go into a shop and try them (all hygeine reasons aside) haha
Some reviews say the GR06 has a warm-but congested sound..they are actually my first choice due to the low price,
Anyone used these with an amp or Cowon player?
Would Cowon BBE+ have an EQ that would enhance what may be lacking?

thanks for the replies so far :)

May 31, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:
Sucks that i cant go into a shop and try them (all hygeine reasons aside) haha
Some reviews say the GR06 has a warm-but congested sound..they are actually my first choice due to the low price,
Anyone used these with an amp or Cowon player?
Would Cowon BBE+ have an EQ that would enhance what may be lacking?

thanks for the replies so far :)

If you're anywhere near a Jaben Audio store you can demo them. 

May 31, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 35
I guess another way i could word the question that may help eliminate the competition,
Is the Shures/RE0 better than the GR06 to the extent that it would be wise to spend the extra $40 AUD on them?

May 31, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:
I guess another way i could word the question that may help eliminate the competition,
Is the Shures/RE0 better than the GR06 to the extent that it would be wise to spend the extra $40 AUD on them?

Hmm.... I'll tell you what. Considering you're in Australia there is an excellent special going at the moment on Yamaha EPH-100 for $99, which is an absolute steal for this price. They may be suited to your needs. They have micro detail / 3D soundstage. Have a good look into them because they're an excellent IEM, I recommend them for the bass amount and details you're looking for. They blow away IEM's double their price. I paid $130 for mine and they usually go for $169 roughly. Check them out for sure....  

Here's a review on them,

And if you're keen the link to where they're going for $99

Certainly do some searching and reading on them, they might be the ones for you.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 35
I agree. I am not sure how Apple products are rated on this site, but IMO, they are over priced and over hyped.

Ideally, the IEM needs to have excellent clarity.
Bass is important, but quality over quantity preferred as EQ and E11 boosting will assist.
In order of importance.

1) Clarity
2) Soundstage
3) Instrument Seperation
4) great quality bass that doesnt overpower mids.
5) budget...although can expand if need be...not preferred but an option haha

I like the sound the Shure SRH840 produce, especially with a fiio e10, just needs to be crammed into an IEM :)

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:
In order of importance.

1) Clarity
2) Soundstage
3) Instrument Seperation
4) great quality bass that doesnt overpower mids.
5) budget...although can expand if need be...not preferred but an option haha

I like the sound the Shure SRH840 produce, especially with a fiio e10, just needs to be crammed into an IEM :)

OK, you are going to not believe me, but the Philips SHE3580 (pick your color) is a fantastic earphone that honestly meets all 5 of your requests, esp 1) & 5).  Get it from Amazon.com direct (not one of the cheaper side-sellers -- there are some fakes out there), or buy them at Walmart, CVS, BestBuy.  They are one of the few earphones I own that I can honestly wear them instead of my Etymotic ER4P and be satisfied with the clarity + bass equation.  Give 'em a shot!

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 35
Lets say i up the budget and creep into the next price bracket :)

Yamaha eph-100 vs hifiman re262 vs vsonic gr07
     $99                          $150                $150

Whats peoples recommendation based on these three IEMs, taking into consideration that i prefer crisp vocals, wide soundstage, reasonable bass, instrument seperation.....

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:
Lets say i up the budget and creep into the next price bracket :)

Yamaha eph-100 vs hifiman re262 vs vsonic gr07
     $99                          $150                $150

Whats peoples recommendation based on these three IEMs, taking into consideration that i prefer crisp vocals, wide soundstage, reasonable bass, instrument seperation.....

The Rockit Sounds R-50 fits everything your looking for perfectly.  At $119.99 they're a steal and with great detail, really good soundstage, very clean bass and some of the best imaging and separation I've heard you can't go wrong.  Don't let the fact its a new company scare you off, everyone thats got a pair love them.  I haven't heard the RE262 but the R-50 has better SQ than the EPH-100 and GR07, they don't blow them away but the R-50 does sound a bit better imo.  What really sets them apart is the open and airy soundstage with the great imaging and separation, all 3 have good detail but the R-50's soundstage is more well rounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back