Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,628 of 15,992
Speaking about weird, isn‘t it weird to offer different modells. I mean, I like the Headstand, but I would have wanted an Realizer A16.

I guess it would be even more weird to you if they said - OK, we don't need two modells, so it will be rack modell only ...

No, not really. Especially not if I would have got it to the promised date May 2017.

May 3, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #2,630 of 15,992
Cool do u have a good system to do a calibration for? I would be prepared to offer a calibration at my place for you.

Nah, am just on a Sonos system in the lounge/house, so not really anything to calibrate at my end.

Your offer sounds great.

Would be interested in seeing if there's a few of us local who could team up for an arvo to do calibrations at a proper studio - sharing the rental
(if there are any worthwhile studios around that'd be willing to hire out the rooms)

May 5, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #2,632 of 15,992
So I've heard that it "doesn't matter" if you get the HD800 or HD800S because of the way the Realiser processes the audio but still what do you guys think to be the better option? I know you miss out on some of the clarity and soundstage with the S but its a more well rounded, refined listening experience so I am leaning towards the S. Thoughts? I can't really go the electrostats route financially right now but can manage the 800(S) and am sure they'll bump up the experience compared to the HD650s I currently have.

Also, I switched from the 2U to the Headstand model by emailing them last night and got confirmation from James Smyth this morning. Much more conducive to my personal setup!

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #2,634 of 15,992
So I've heard that it "doesn't matter" if you get the HD800 or HD800S because of the way the Realiser processes the audio but still what do you guys think to be the better option? I know you miss out on some of the clarity and soundstage with the S but its a more well rounded, refined listening experience so I am leaning towards the S. Thoughts? I can't really go the electrostats route financially right now but can manage the 800(S) and am sure they'll bump up the experience compared to the HD650s I currently have.

Although it's tempting to buy new headphones to “have them ready” for the Realiser, you'd be better off experimenting once it arrives with the cans you already own to work out where you need an improvement. I really hope that the 650s are adequate because I'm intended to use the 6XX myself, alongside the Oppo PM-3. Only if I feel that the headphones are holding the A16 back will I upgrade.

May 5, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #2,635 of 15,992
Although it's tempting to buy new headphones to “have them ready” for the Realiser, you'd be better off experimenting once it arrives with the cans you already own to work out where you need an improvement. I really hope that the 650s are adequate because I'm intended to use the 6XX myself, alongside the Oppo PM-3. Only if I feel that the headphones are holding the A16 back will I upgrade.

It is VERY tempting to "get ready" for its arrival. I'll admit I'm going stir crazy with eagerness. But thanks for reigning in my unnecessary preparation. Saves me a few dollars to say the least.

The HD650 should be a great starting point I think it is safe to say. We are all in this together.

May 5, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #2,637 of 15,992
From my understanding every headphone should sound good with the Realiser A16.
But very important is to have a light weight headphone, very comfortable. I think I will try with Pioneer Master 1 are only 45 Ohm and can be driven fantastically by the Tera Player.Also resolution, soundstage and bass is substantial. HD800S is a very versatile, and you can add genuine leather earpds.

May 5, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #2,638 of 15,992

This article might help you.. .the 800 mod is super easy and takes about 15 minutes to perform... you can also buy the SuperDupont Resonator from ebay... if you go this route check out youtube vids for a step by step directions for the mod... super easy and you save some money ... (you don't have to take the headphone apart... just pull the dust screen out...)

www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response-page-2

May 5, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,639 of 15,992
It is VERY tempting to "get ready" for its arrival.

I got ready a year ago and replaced almost my entire home theatre based on what they were saying the ship date would be. I would have saved >$1500 and ended up with better equipment if I had waited until now. My advise to every one is save up the money to get what you want. But if it is some thing where better options are coming or prices are dropping think twice before pulling the trigger. If what you are after is some thing that seldom changes and prices are steady then pulling the trigger makes sense if you can get the benefit now out of what you are getting. Don't dive into debt based on an imaginary ship date.

May 5, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,640 of 15,992
5 weeks passed since the last email we got from James Smyth. An update would be appreciated... maybe something will come up this week... So far this year, we got an update at the end of each month (January, 29th - February, 28th and March, 31st), but not in April...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back