1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last
  1. musicday
    Thank you for taking your time and do that.

2. mrtim6
    Sander99 is spot on - great job there. I received an email from Steven Smyth in 2017, who also said the screen sizes on both realiser types is the same size.

3. JohnEW
    The CanJam2018 video with Stephen Smyth kneeling beside the headstand demonstration unit made the screen look nice and large. I can even read the screen display details. Nice lay out with the images and text not crammed. Being able to clearly see the text and images from a distance will make it more comfortable on the eyes.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. castleofargh Contributor
    all I was thinking while watching the video was "I hope there is a button or a timer to turn the screen off while in use". ^_^

5. musicday
    I would like that also, to be able to dim or turn off the screen after let's say 20 seconds,so it doesn't disturb watching nice old war movies.

6. MichaelJames99
    Does the A16 have the ability to send PCM out to a Preamp Processor for home theater? So that you could duplicate the illusion out to your home theater? For example, if you have a 7.1 bed of speakers, it would make the illusion of 7.1.4. Sort of what DTS Virtual X does?

7. Erik Garci
    You can try covering it with a camera like this one on my A8.

Richter Di likes this.
  8. sander99
    Not as multichannel PCM via HDMI because of limitations of the used HDMI board, as I said a few times on this thread already. (In HDMI passthrough mode everything will be passed through without a problem, but when the A16 is passing through video and decoding bitstream surround - for example dolby atmos - it can only "inject" 2 channels of generated audio into the HDMI PCM output stream.)
    However via the 16 channel analog outputs it can act as a AV Preamp with basic functionality.
    I don't expect that will include something like DTS Virtual X.

9. Chillzone21
    Kicking myself i did not get in on the kickstarter early on, when i saw the page it was already through a few stages. Problem in Australia, we pay import duty taxes. Will try and pick one up secondhand, I am guessing there will be a few on the market from backers looking to flip for profit.

My secondhand A8 is still going strong after 4 years, only the remote control power button failed. New remote was only like $30 from Smyth. Quality product.

raband likes this.
  10. CanMad
    Which state r u in? I'm in Melbourne with an A8 and in on the kickstarter for A16. I agree I paid over 3K AUD for the A8 once import duty and GST had been paid. I'll still have to pay some GST and import duty but it will still be cheaper than the A8 due to the kickstarter price. I got an email from James Smyth as an owner of an A8 about the kickstarter. Didn't you get one?

Anyway if you're in Victoria or passing through Melbourne you're welcome to come by for a demo/PRIR of the A16 once we get them. I have a decent 5.1.4 setup (goldenear triton 1 mains harbeth super hl5 rears, M&K centre and sub, SVS atmos) so a calibration of my system might be worth having for when you get your A16.

raband likes this.
  11. raband
    Melbourne here too - pre-purchase on the A16.

Wonder how many of us there are

12. pcfi
    Adelaide here - pre-purchase as I missed the Kickstarter.

raband likes this.
  13. mrtim6
    Sydney here - I jumped in on the Kickstarter last year

raband likes this.
  14. 462429
    I guess it would be even more weird to you if they said - OK, we don't need two modells, so it will be rack modell only ...
    I think Headstand modell fits better into desktop-audio world (desk-PC-monitor) and rack modell into home-theater-audio world (armchair-rack-TV). I see professional users in the first group, not the second.

15. Got the Shakes
    This was exactly my thinking when choosing a model. At first I was planning on a desktop setup with a monitor and the head stand model. Then I switched to buy a new tv and went with a more traditional entertainment center setup so I ultimately ordered the 2U.

First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last