Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 5, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #2,642 of 15,986
5 weeks passed since the last email we got from James Smyth. An update would be appreciated... maybe something will come up this week... So far this year, we got an update at the end of each month (January, 29th - February, 28th and March, 31st), but not in April...

Doesn't worry me ... it could mean that they're very close to a definite announcement.

May 5, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #2,643 of 15,986
Indeed, if we trust the 4 to 6 weeks period before shipping debutes that M. Smyth (i don't remember if it was Stephen or James) mentioned in his interview at Can Jam, it's been now 4 weeks already so shipping could be imminent... I'm just hoping that it's the case...

May 6, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #2,645 of 15,986
May 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #2,647 of 15,986
I am a little curious if we can take the A8 files and load them into the A16 and if they will work... or we can edit the A8 8 channels to the A16 16 channels ...
probably wishful thinking on my part...

May 6, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #2,649 of 15,986
I am a little curious if we can take the A8 files and load them into the A16 and if they will work... or we can edit the A8 8 channels to the A16 16 channels ...
probably wishful thinking on my part...
In an email from a Smyth, I was told no backward or forward compatibility between A8 and A16 files.
When did you get that email and what does it say exactly?
The document http://www.smyth-research.com/downloads/A16 UI overview.pdf (came with the 14 Nov 2017 update) suggests that A8 files can be loaded (and will be automatically converted to A16 files).
Page 4:
Files
(refer to the root menu screen) allow the user to manage PRIR and HPEQ files both within
the A16 and on the external micro SD card. The screen below provides a log of the file numbers for each
storage location. The screen on the right is an example file information window for PRIR files. In this
case this is the first file of 26, found on the external micro SD card. This particular file is from the old A8
Realiser model and will be automatically converted to the A16 format when copied into the A16 internal
storage
(The other way round probably is not possible, I think that has to do with copy-protection/encryption of the new format or something like that, Stephen Smyth hinted at that in the innerfidelity video.)
And to come back to your question Dixter, because with the A16 you can create presets for wich you can select virtual speakers from different PRIRs, you can combine speakers from (converted) old A8 PRIRs with additional speakers from new PRIRs.

May 6, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,650 of 15,986
Indeed, if we trust the 4 to 6 weeks period before shipping debutes that M. Smyth (i don't remember if it was Stephen or James) mentioned in his interview at Can Jam, it's been now 4 weeks already so shipping could be imminent... I'm just hoping that it's the case...

I assume shipping is close due to the lack of an end of April update. My thought is they skipped it because they knew shortly into May they could announce that the product was done and ready to be shipped (obviously could just be wishful thinking on my part).

May 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,651 of 15,986
I assume shipping is close due to the lack of an end of April update. My thought is they skipped it because they knew shortly into May they could announce that the product was done and ready to be shipped (obviously could just be wishful thinking on my part).

I thought about it also but was afraid to jinx it by saying it out loud :yum:

May 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #2,652 of 15,986
When did you get that email and what does it say exactly?
The document http://www.smyth-research.com/downloads/A16 UI overview.pdf (came with the 14 Nov 2017 update) suggests that A8 files can be loaded (and will be automatically converted to A16 files).
Page 4:

(The other way round probably is not possible, I think that has to do with copy-protection/encryption of the new format or something like that, Stephen Smyth hinted at that in the innerfidelity video.)
And to come back to your question Dixter, because with the A16 you can create presets for wich you can select virtual speakers from different PRIRs, you can combine speakers from (converted) old A8 PRIRs with additional speakers from new PRIRs.

From James:

Hi Don,
No, A16 measurements will not be usable on the A8. And A8 measurements will not be usable on A16.
Regards
James

May 6, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #2,653 of 15,986
That information has to be incorrect; I got measured at AIX in fall 2016 specifically for the A16. We had to use an A8 since no A16s were stateside at that time, but I was told that the measurement would be usable on the A16, with the only compromise being confined to the more limited head-tracking of the A8. Given that the session cost a decent chunk of change, I'll be enraged if the this is now true.

Here is an excerpt from my conversation with Mr Kramer at the time:
v9uW5bh.png

And from Smyth's QA portion of their website:
"Q3: Are A8 PRIR files compatible with the A16?
A3: Yes."

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,654 of 15,986
That information has to be incorrect
I agree. But in the worst case scenario that the A16 can not use or convert an A8 file you will have to ask Smyth to convert the file for you, they can do it for sure and in your case it seems to me they should do it, and do it for free.

May 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,655 of 15,986
I agree. But in the worst case scenario that the A16 can not use or convert an A8 file you will have to ask Smyth to convert the file for you, they can do it for sure and in your case it seems to me they should do it, and do it for free.
Even if Smyth will not convert it, it is technically possible to convert it via software that captures and reproduces impulse responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back