Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,191 of 15,986
I have first tried with an headphone output but didn't like the result at all: the subpack wasn't filtering the bass low enough. For example i was getting vibration when people were takling with a low pitch voice.
The Realiser lets you choose a low-pass frequency for its tactile output. That way you can filter out voices.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,193 of 15,986
How do you folks think a wireless subwoofer would work with headphones and the A16? I don't have an AV receiver (well, I do, but I'd rather not use it if I don't have to, since it wouldn't be driving any speakers, not to mention the space it would take up), so there would have to be a way to connect the sub directly to the A16.

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #2,194 of 15,986
The platform had rubber feet. This increases vibrations on the couch and reduces them on the floor.

Indeed, I looked into the buttkicker before and I would have built into the frame of the seat and put the legs on rubber.
But still, I think it might still resonate on a total wooden cosntruction.
Maybe a Subpack would be handier for me. Choices ...

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #2,195 of 15,986
Nice isn't it? But the way it sounds is nicer.:smile_phones:
smyth.jpg
:)

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #2,197 of 15,986
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2,199 of 15,986
Thank you for the PDF though, didn't see that one yet.
By the way: everyone beware that this (http://smyth-research.com/downloads/additional_KS_info.pdf) is an older document and that there have been changes in the design since.
For example:
-guitar input was dropped to save space
-25 watt amplifier for tactile output was dropped (only rca/cinch tactile outputs remain)
-specifications of the headphone amplifiers have been changed (in this document they had planned two different amplifiers for user A and B, now there will be identical amps, I don't know the specs)
-(as I aready mentioned some time ago) when inputting (over HDMI) and decoding bitstream surround formats only 2 channels of audio can be output over HDMI.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2,201 of 15,986
But when in standby mode the HDMI output passes through everything as far as I was informed, right?
Yes. And I assume it should also still be possible to send the measurement sweep signals over all 7 + 1 HDMI PCM channels for easy PRIR measurement of an existing 7.1 setup (because Mike Smyth said the limitation is only during decoding bitstream surround sound, and that is not happening during a PRIR measurement).[Edit: I could be wrong though, but then there is always the sweep disk method to solve the problem]
(https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-84#post-13774755)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #2,202 of 15,986
Yes. And I assume it should also still be possible to send the measurement sweep signals over all 7 + 1 HDMI PCM channels for easy PRIR measurement of an existing 7.1 setup (because Mike Smyth said the limitation is only during decoding bitstream surround sound, and that is not happening during a PRIR measurement).[Edit: I could be wrong though, but then there is always the sweep disk method to solve the problem]
(https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-84#post-13774755)

I certainly hope that 7.1 sweep signals can be output over HDMI PCM, and one doesn't have to resort to a DVD player. What would be the configuration in the latter case? Is the DVD input to or bypasses the A16 (on way to AVR)? The prior would present the same problem, and the latter would seem to have some additional synchronization issues (probably not significant although from easiest to hardest would be sweep signals from A16, from DVD input to A16, from DVD bypassing A16). What exactly are the limitations to two channels over HDMI output: with video plus bitstream, video plus PCM, bitstream only, PCM only ? It would be useful to clear this up. I thought that the point of the DVD generated sweep was to avoid connecting the A16 into the audio system for purpose of calibration, not to be the only way to generate 7.1 sweep signals over HDMI

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #2,203 of 15,986
+1 for subpac m2. i compared it to the s2 before buying and surprisingly the effect was better on the m2. i tried strapping it to the torso several times like camillem, but for me the effect was too weak. before the subpac i used a ibeam vt-200. Performancewise and regarding user-friendly setup the subpac is miles ahead.
I use a rca to 3.5mm cable without a Problem on a a8, but it is important to raise the tactile volume, set the crossover and mix-block.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,204 of 15,986
I thought that the point of the DVD generated sweep was to avoid connecting the A16 into the audio system for purpose of calibration
Yes, surely that was the main intention.
not to be the only way to generate 7.1 sweep signals over HDMI
But things don't always go according to plan. Anyway, about these sweeps over HDMI I am just speculating. Maybe it's these kind of unexpected complications that play a role in all the delays in the development process.
and the latter would seem to have some additional synchronization issues
They say the A16 will automatically synchronize to the sweep signals in that case. (Maybe using some initial extra signal on the disk?) And on the disk will be spoken instructions concerning head position.
By the way, sweeps over the 16 analog outputs are also possible of course. But with almost all AV Receivers that would mean bypassing all their digital processing, in particular any room correction/eq.

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #2,205 of 15,986
Yes, surely that was the main intention.

But things don't always go according to plan. Anyway, about these sweeps over HDMI I am just speculating. Maybe it's these kind of unexpected complications that play a role in all the delays in the development process.

They say the A16 will automatically synchronize to the sweep signals in that case. (Maybe using some initial extra signal on the disk?) And on the disk will be spoken instructions concerning head position.
By the way, sweeps over the 16 analog outputs are also possible of course. But with almost all AV Receivers that would mean bypassing all their digital processing, in particular any room correction/eq.

Looking at the documentation, it seems your speculation is correct. In fact, it seems likely that no sweeps are available over HDMI directly from the A16 (even 2 channel). In other words, the HDMI output is strictly for passthrough, and sweeps are only over analog, which is the same as the A8. I hope the blu-ray/DVD method works properly, as I need the DSP in the AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back