Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2,206 of 15,988
Maybe those who get a demo in 3 weeks in L.A. may check how it's plugged or simply ask the Smyths about it.
When i got the demo in Paris, i don't remember that they played a disc for the sweeps (but it was nearly a year and a half ago, so my memory about this detail may not be very fresh or accurate anymore !)

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,207 of 15,988
Maybe those who get a demo in 3 weeks in L.A. may check how it's plugged or simply ask the Smyths about it.
When i got the demo in Paris, i don't remember that they played a disc for the sweeps (but it was nearly a year and a half ago, so my memory about this detail may not be very fresh or accurate anymore !)
If someone can simply ask them if sweeps over all 7 + 1 LPCM HDMI channels are possible?

About the demo with the prototype:
1. I assume they had the active Yamaha speakers connected to the analog outputs of the Realiser, so no sweeps over HDMI needed, only sweeps over analog outputs.
[Edit: 7.1.4 you can not do as PCM over HDMI anway (in the future yes, but not now)]
2. I assume the prototype they used didn't have the new HDMI board, that's where the HDMI limitations come from.
3. It is still possible the production ready version can do 7.1 LPCM sweeps over HDMI, because the limitations hold only under certain conditions (looping through video and/or(?) decoding bitstream, one good question would be: exactly what conditions?)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #2,208 of 15,988
Looking at the documentation, it seems your speculation is correct. In fact, it seems likely that no sweeps are available over HDMI directly from the A16 (even 2 channel). In other words, the HDMI output is strictly for passthrough, and sweeps are only over analog, which is the same as the A8.
How did you get to that conclusion?

Mike Smyth wrote the limitation is that not more than 2 channels of LPCM can be "injected" into the HDMI output under certain conditions, so 2 channels is always possible it seems.
Originally they certainly intended to do sweeps over HDMI, see for example from the kickstarter comments page:
Stephen Smyth Collaborator on February 8 @Jose Luis Gazal - Yes. Furthermore, measurements using the single or stereo loudspeaker mode will have the option of sending their sweeps to either the tactile, ch1-2 line, Out HDMI PCM ch1-2, headphone B analog or headphone B SPDIF outputs
(February 8: 2017 that was.)

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2,210 of 15,988
No need to buy the Mobius if you’re buying the A16 ... they do something very similar so there would be massive duplication of investment. But of course ... buy it if you want.

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #2,211 of 15,988
Anyone is getting this headphones?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mobius-immersive-cinematic-3d-audio-headphone-headphones#/

Hopefully the A16 arrives before them, anyway still a great price $259.
the customization for HRTF seems limited to the Waves NX app(please tell me if I missed something), which asks for 2 measurements of your head, and off you go. so sure it's much better than nothing, and it's real easy to set up as you don't have to calibrate much of anything or require a nice room and speaker setup. but it's also a far cry from custom simulation like with the Realiser.
to me the Waves NX experience(not with that headphone) was like a cool crossfeed(as in easy to set up even with multichannel input on the pro version of the app), to which you add some reverb and head tracking. real cool compared to nothing at all, but the furthest I've ever felt a sound source was less than a meter away. again cool, but not speaker simulation with HRTF kind of cool.
someone with a different head might have more success, as always, how close to the average guy we are, will totally change how effective default processing can be. so I'm not saying nobody will get a good result with this, just that it's not a given. when it pretty much is with the A16.

TBH I'm not sure we're doing a service to any of those gears when we put them all in the same basket. they're all pretty sweet compared to nothing at all IMO, but if people start thinking they're getting a Realiser+ a great headphone for 300bucks, they're in for a massive disappointment.

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,212 of 15,988
No need to buy the Mobius if you’re buying the A16 ... they do something very similar so there would be massive duplication of investment. But of course ... buy it if you want.
I am getting the Mobius just to use on the go or at home. I am not getting it to use it with Realiser A16, for that i will be using a high end open back headphone.

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #2,213 of 15,988
Anyone is getting this headphones?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mobius-immersive-cinematic-3d-audio-headphone-headphones#/

Hopefully the A16 arrives before them, anyway still a great price $259.

I am getting the Mobius just to use on the go or at home. I am not getting it to use it with Realiser A16, for that i will be using a high end open back headphone.

I got in yesterday at the $249 price. I travel a fair amount, and I am getting the Mobius as my on the go media consumption headphones for my laptop. At home it will always be the A16 with my HD 800.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #2,215 of 15,988
Question... I am currently using the AKG 712 Pro headphones and a 20 year old Musical Fidelity XCAN v2 amp. I am wondering if buying the Senn 800 or 800s and a new amp might be worth it with the A16?
If you go with 800 it has some limited bass compared to the 800s and has that high end that needs trimmed a bit. Does the A16 have the ability to increase the bass or help out with the highend issue of the 800?
Not sure on amp either

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #2,217 of 15,988
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #2,218 of 15,988
There was OSSIC X. Now the X-Fi and Audeze Mobius. This year is full of surprises :) Very intresting how they will compare, e.g. Audeze Mobius vs OSSIC X vs X-Fi?
Anyway Smyth A16 cannot be portable. So I am very glad to see those new alternatives upcomming!

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #2,219 of 15,988
Nope, I already ordered a gimmick like that with the Ossic, I don't see the use when I have a Realiser and I don't like planars.
And yes, I watched and read the reviews.

Plus, something that only costs $250 (planars no less) with all of those ostensible features is highly suspect. They might be a good portable alternative, but I'd argue you're more than likely going to get better from an X7 or even Mixamp, both of which are going to be more expensive and still likely not come close to what the A8/A16 sounds like.

Then again, we're still waiting for a product that hasn't gone beyond the prototype phase yet too, and is coming up on missing its initial release date by a year, so...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #2,220 of 15,988
Plus, something that only costs $250 (planars no less) with all of those ostensible features is highly suspect. They might be a good portable alternative or solution, but I'd argue you're more than likely going to get better from an X7 or even Mixamp, both of which are going to be more expensive and still likely not come close to what the A8/A16 sounds like.

Then again, we're still waiting for a product that hasn't gone beyond the prototype phase yet too, and is coming up on missing its initial release date by a year, so...

Indeed!
The price, amount of features and extremely favorable reviews (performs just too well in every area) make me wary as well.
I bought one too many FotM and am careful when I smell hype.
Not saying the thing will be bad but I'd put it in the quality gaming category together with the Ossic, GSX1000, X7 and that new thing from Creative, forgot the name.
Pretty sure it's going to be nowhere close to a Realiser with a HD8X0(S) or even HD700 when it comes to surround.
This technology is going to evolve more and more and there's a lot more to come. The Realiser is the most future-proof IMO.
I'm sticking with Sennheiser and see what they will do. Looking forward to their sounbar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back