Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #2,176 of 16,010
the A16 will have a dedicated output.
I guess i can use BT too, but in my case it was easier with the jack
i didn't try the S2.
i chose the M2 because i don't use it on a chair and as told before i lay it down on my torso while seating in my couch

Thanks, will definitely look into it!

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #2,177 of 16,010
Would you recommend the S2 as well?
I have been using the S2 with my A8. I highly recommend it. The Realiser's tactile output is wired to the S2's input.

S2front.jpg

S2back.jpg

S2pillow.jpg

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,180 of 16,010
Ok, thanks.

Would be nice to leave the S2 simply in my seat and just wire an extra detachable cable to my PC.
I already have 3 active 5m USB extender cables running from the PS, Xbox and PC that I can tuck away or roll off to my seat as well as a power cord.
These are used to hook up my racing or flying rig to the PC or consoles that I can place before my seat.
So adding a mini-jack male to female extension cable from the Realizer to my seat isn't much extra.
Racing rig: customized Wheel Stand Pro + Fanatec CSL Elite + pedals + shifter + handbrake + a few rims
Flying rig: customized Wheel Stand Pro + Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + MFG Crosswind

Man caves ... :wink:

By the way, can anybody comment on the difference in feel and immersion beteen a Subpack and a Buttkicker?
But the buttkicker isn't battery powered I think.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,181 of 16,010
I was thinking about the M2X but since i am mostly watching movies on my couch, sometimes more or less lying on it, i'm wondering if it would not be uncomfortable...

About Buttkicker-like devices, the french company Immersit developped the Immersit Vibes and reviews were quite enthusiastic. I may take a look at that too...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #2,182 of 16,010
By the way, can anybody comment on the difference in feel and immersion beteen a Subpack and a Buttkicker?
I used to have a ButtKicker. It was attached to a platform that the couch sat on. The vibrations are transferred through the platform and the couch to any body parts that are touching the couch. The Subpac transfers vibrations directly to your back, so they feel closer and sharper. By the way, when I replaced the couch, I replaced the ButtKicker with Crowson actuators which sit under the couch legs and give a more direct feel. In any case, it blends well with the sound as you get used to it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #2,183 of 16,010
My A8 outputs to an external DAC and headphone amp, and my Subpac M2 is plugged into the A8's headphone jack. Works great. Like someone else mentioned, I also use the M2 on my torso, which to me is much more realistic because it simulates bass frequencies coming from speakers in front of you, which obviously would hit your torso first.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #2,184 of 16,010
I used to have a ButtKicker. It was attached to a platform that the couch sat on. The vibrations are transferred through the platform and the couch to any body parts that are touching the couch. The Subpac transfers vibrations directly to your back, so they feel closer and sharper. By the way, when I replaced the couch, I replaced the ButtKicker with Crowson actuators which sit under the couch legs and give a more direct feel. In any case, it blends well with the sound as you get used to it.

Not too much vibrations in the floor?
My man cave is on a wooden floor atop of a wooden ceiling upstairs.

My A8 outputs to an external DAC and headphone amp, and my Subpac M2 is plugged into the A8's headphone jack. Works great. Like someone else mentioned, I also use the A8 on my torso, which to me is much more realistic because it simulates bass frequencies coming from speakers in front of you, which obviously would hit your torso first.

Good to know thanks. That would reuire the M2X rather than the S2 then.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #2,185 of 16,010
I have been using the S2 with my A8. I highly recommend it. The Realiser's tactile output is wired to the S2's input.

I can't use it like this, it's too painful for the back. And feeling the vibration in my back doesn't seem natural at all.

i let it rest on my torso: doesn't hurt my back and the effect is a LOT better (when i listen to my sub wich is in front of me i feel the bass coming from the front not from the back)

5850192332478385312.jpg

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,186 of 16,010

How do you wire the A8's tactile output to the S2's input? I tried this with an RCA/3.5mm adapter and got no signal. As a result I'm using the A8's headphone output, which works except that the signal strength varies with volume, which isn't ideal for the Subpac.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #2,188 of 16,010
How do you wire the A8's tactile output to the S2's input? I tried this with an RCA/3.5mm adapter and got no signal. As a result I'm using the A8's headphone output, which works except that the signal strength varies with volume, which isn't ideal for the Subpac.

I have first tried with an headphone output but didn't like the result at all: the subpack wasn't filtering the bass low enough. For example i was getting vibration when people were takling with a low pitch voice.

now i'm connected to the center/sub output of my pc motherboard (number 5) and i have disabled the center channel in windows settings

main-qimg-caf23df319bd4849f37c6c7e63711ab7-c

and i'm using this:

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

to enable two sound outputs at the same time as the main sound is going out via hdmi

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,190 of 16,010
I use an RCA/3.5mm adapter. Maybe your tactile menu settings are misconfigured. The tactile output varies with volume, which seems preferable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back