Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 12, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #2,164 of 16,005
That and the center of your whole A/V system. Or computer system in my case. :)
I'm glad they took a bit longer to provide us with the latest and greatest HDMI boards.
I'm thinking the same thing.

I'd like to watch YouTube music videos and Apple TV with Realizer contacted to my Hugo 2. Now that would be just swell!

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #2,165 of 16,005
I'm thinking the same thing.

I'd like to watch YouTube music videos and Apple TV with Realizer contacted to my Hugo 2. Now that would be just swell!

Imagine this:
PS + Xbox + PC connected to Realiser via HDMI.
HDMI out to 65" OLED with a Yarra beneath it connected to the RCA headphone out on the back.
PC is connected via Displayport to 35" ultrawide monitor with a second Yarra beneath it connected to the second RCA headphone out on the back.
Both Yarras are connected to a B&W DB4S sub.
And of course most of the time a nice pair of Senns will be used instead of the Yarras.
The Yarra below the TV might be replaced by the upcoming Sennheiser soundbar, also connected to the sub.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #2,166 of 16,005
Would the Realiser be powerful enough to power the HD800S or wouild it be better to route the signal through another amp?

Edit: corrected the brand new model. :wink:

Not only powerful enough - it's one of the recommended models:

http://smyth-research.com/A16Q&A.html
Q19: I see the A16 demonstration in Munich used the HD800 headphone whereas the Stax 2170 had previously been recommended for the A8. What are your recommended headphones?

A19: We judge headphones in a number of ways. How comfortable are they to wear for an extended period of time, can they faithfully reproduce virtualised loudspeakers and how cost effective they are. For example the entire range of Stax headphones are comfortable and can reproduce virtual loudspeakers with stunning accuracy. Hence we continue to use the Stax 2170 for our own internal use due to its cost effectiveness. Sennheiser HD800s on the other hand have the same performance, are almost as comfortable, but are physically more robust, don’t require an external amplifier and they go louder. Hence we have moved over to using these headphones for demonstrations. These are two headphones we use every day and can vouch for their performance and comfort.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #2,167 of 16,005
Imagine this:
HDMI out to 65" OLED with a Yarra beneath it connected to the RCA headphone out on the back.
PC is connected via Displayport to 35" ultrawide monitor with a second Yarra beneath it connected to the second RCA headphone out on the back.
And of course most of the time a nice pair of Senns will be used instead of the Yarras.
The Yarra below the TV might be replaced by the upcoming Sennheiser soundbar, also connected to the sub.
No! I don't want to imagine that, I want to have that!

But seriously, this seems like a total replacement for speakers. Yes, even for movies, which I think will actually benefit more than music, because now you have both surround sound and a high quality DAC which is producing the sound! While with music, you pretty much still only have the 2-channel experience.

Also, games would be other worldly. I haven't played anything for a couple of years now, but wouldn't mind giving a try to a new FPS like Battlefield with this. As a matter of fact, I might just do that.

Thanks for giving me the idea! :D

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #2,169 of 16,005
Imagine this:

Quite close to what i'll have (only have a 55" lg OLED, yarra is ordered).
But i have added the Subpac M2 Sound System Tactile wich is great to "feel" the bass ! (i have been using it for 3 weeks now and i love it)
(for information i don't use it on my back but on my front torso, it feels a lot more natural)
http://subpac.com/subpac-launches-the-m2-wearable-tactile-audio-system/

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,171 of 16,005
No! I don't want to imagine that, I want to have that!

But seriously, this seems like a total replacement for speakers. Yes, even for movies, which I think will actually benefit more than music, because now you have both surround sound and a high quality DAC which is producing the sound! While with music, you pretty much still only have the 2-channel experience.
Also, games would be other worldly. I haven't played anything for a couple of years now, but wouldn't mind giving a try to a new FPS like Battlefield with this. As a matter of fact, I might just do that.
Thanks for giving me the idea! :D

Yep. I have a 5.1 system in the living room but can't imagine ever setting up an 11.1 system, impossible to get all the cables into the walls without a total rebuild.
Nope, I'd rather add a Realiser there as well.

Quite close to what i'll have (only have a 55" lg OLED, yarra is ordered).
But i have added the Subpac M2 Sound System Tactile wich is great to "feel" the bass ! (i have been using it for 3 weeks now and i love it)
(for information i don't use it on my back but on my front torso, it feels a lot more natural)
http://subpac.com/subpac-launches-the-m2-wearable-tactile-audio-system/

I have beenm looking into a Buttkicker but I can't mount one in my seat without cables lying around.
That subpac might be worth looking into it ...

Are there many changes between the M2 and MX2?
I see they're batter powered, that's another cable less.
How do you connect them? 1 single RCA cable to a small portable amp where the battery is built-in?
Is everything included like the cables and charger?
Can these be found in Europe?

Sorru about all the questions but you peeked my interest here! :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #2,172 of 16,005
Not only powerful enough - it's one of the recommended models:

http://smyth-research.com/A16Q&A.html

I know, long time ago I got an message from Smyth they chose the HD800 mainly for comfort and sthe huge soundsatge.
But as I found many lower priced amps or amps integrated into other gear like Dacs or gaming surround devices to struggle to drive 600 Ohm phones at higher volumes I was wondering if the amp built into the Realiser was plenty powerful.

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #2,173 of 16,005
Yep. I have a 5.1 system in the living room but can't imagine ever setting up an 11.1 system, impossible to get all the cables into the walls without a total rebuild.
Nope, I'd rather add a Realiser there as well.

I have beenm looking into a Buttkicker but I can't mount one in my seat without cables lying around.
That subpac might be worth looking into it ...

Are there many changes between the M2 and MX2?
I see they're batter powered, that's another cable less.
How do you connect them? 1 single RCA cable to a small portable amp where the battery is built-in?
Is everything included like the cables and charger?
Can these be found in Europe?

Sorru about all the questions but you peeked my interest here! :)

I don't know the differences with the mx2.

it's connected via a 3.5mm jack cable. I have connected it to my pc lfe output.
Everything is included.
i have bought it on Amazon france:
https://www.amazon.fr/Subpac-Sound-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SW0KQXQ05PX5TKDEQ19B

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,174 of 16,005
I don't know the differences with the mx2.

it's connected via a 3.5mm jack cable. I have connected it to my pc lfe output.
Everything is included.
i have bought it on Amazon france:
https://www.amazon.fr/Subpac-Sound-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SW0KQXQ05PX5TKDEQ19B

Amazon, sweet!
I suppose I will ba able to connect it straight to the realizer, I belive it had a dedicated tactile output that can be used for that?
I see they have Blutooth as well, or wouldn't you recommend that? But the Realiser doesn't uuse Bluetooth I guess.
Would you recommend the S2 as well?

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #2,175 of 16,005
Amazon, sweet!
I suppose I will ba able to connect it straight to the realizer, I belive it had a dedicated tactile output that can be used for that?
I see they have Blutooth as well, or wouldn't you recommend that? But the Realiser doesn't uuse Bluetooth I guess.
Would you recommend the S2 as well?
the A16 will have a dedicated output.
I guess i can use BT too, but in my case it was easier with the jack
i didn't try the S2.
i chose the M2 because i don't use it on a chair and as told before i lay it down on my torso while seating in my couch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back