Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 17, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,236 of 15,986
I have to confess, I assumed the worst and imagined the headphone with only the head tracking sensors while everything else was handled by the Waves app or whatever 3D processing included in games or whatever. but I have no evidence of anything so please pretty please don't do anything rash based on my previous post. I'm going to edit it right away not to sound so damn sure of myself, as I really wasn't. :sweat:
The 3D effect (including head tracking) works on all inputs. So the processing has to be in the headset - the 3.5mm input for instance is one way only, i.e. the tracker data can't be sent back to some software to be processed there. They have a DSP onboard, quite similar to what Ossic is doing.

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,237 of 15,986
Sorry if this is an obvious answer, but it's not something I actually thought too much about until recently. Will you be able to use existing PRIRs for other sound formats that exceed the number of speakers you recorded, or can you copy and edit your own existing PRIRs?

ex. I have something recorded for 7.1 and like the way it sounds. Later, I want to add height speakers for Atmos but don't want to have to rerecord the initial 7.1 speakers. Can I copy that PRIR to the Atmos setting, then edit in the additional speakers? Also, could I do something similar with the default Atmos BRIR that the A16 is supposed to come with? Essentially for the short term, record a 7.1 setup of my own and use that within the Atmos format, yet also use the height speakers that come with the setting out of the box?

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #2,238 of 15,986
Sorry if this is an obvious answer, but it's not something I actually thought too much about until recently. Will you be able to use existing PRIRs for other sound formats that exceed the number of speakers you recorded, or can you copy and edit your own existing PRIRs?

ex. I have something recorded for 7.1 and like the way it sounds. Later, I want to add height speakers for Atmos but don't want to have to rerecord the initial 7.1 speakers. Can I copy that PRIR to the Atmos setting, then edit in the additional speakers? Also, could I do something similar with the default Atmos BRIR that the A16 is supposed to come with? Essentially for the short term, record a 7.1 setup of my own and use that within the Atmos format, yet also use the height speakers that come with the setting out of the box?

According to the document:
http://smyth-research.com/downloads/additional_KS_info.pdf
(Not everything in this document will be "realised", but I can't imagine - certainly don't hope so - that they will not do the following: )

You can create presets, one preset can contain speakers selected from different PRIRs, see:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-138#post-14065693

So initially you can create a preset combining the speakers from your measured 7.1 PRIR with height speakers from one of the out-of-the-box BRIRs, and later you can seperately measure height speakers and combine those in a preset with that same 7.1 PRIR you used before.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #2,239 of 15,986
Anyone is getting this headphones?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mobius-immersive-cinematic-3d-audio-headphone-headphones#/

Hopefully the A16 arrives before them, anyway still a great price $259.
Hiya Levi,
thanks for the link. Looks a fascinating project. Because it's Indiegogo I'm out. I'm tired of spending money and not getting anything for it and not knowing when I'm gonna get it or even if I'll ever get it. The business model sucks and is very much in the favour of the manufacturer rather than the consumer. We shouldn't be encouraging Indiegogo and the rest of them. It will end up with all new projects being done this way which is not good for us. These early bird perks etc prey on our wanting to get a bargain. In the end they cause more anguish than they're worth. Just my opinion no facts here of course

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,240 of 15,986
Here is a quick update coming from the french dealer of the A16 :
Since the A16 comes with many features, the software is a big piece of work and the Smyth team is very small so it takes time.
The idea is to be fully functional for the L.A. CanJam in three weeks. They should make there a nice announcement and according to him, he cannot tell yet what it is but it will be a big thing "that will make [us] even prouder of [our] forthcoming A16 !"

It doesn't give much news other than "they are still working hard on it", but it makes me wonder what will be announced on April, 7-8th !

Mar 18, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #2,241 of 15,986
Here is a quick update coming from the french dealer of the A16 :
Since the A16 comes with many features, the software is a big piece of work and the Smyth team is very small so it takes time.
The idea is to be fully functional for the L.A. CanJam in three weeks. They should make there a nice announcement and according to him, he cannot tell yet what it is but it will be a big thing "that will make [us] even prouder of [our] forthcoming A16 !"

It doesn't give much news other than "they are still working hard on it", but it makes me wonder what will be announced on April, 7-8th !
Thank you for this. Sometimes is hard to stay positive but i know is well worth it, as the Realiser A16 will revolutionise the way we watch movies and listen to music.
The big news, probably will be that more features are added?
Not long until April and we will find out.

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #2,243 of 15,986
The tracker being wireless would be probably be something that I would hope for - otherwise the feature set pretty much ticks all the boxes I can think of.

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #2,244 of 15,986
If they were giving us the possibility to customize ourselves any BRIR, injecting our own HRTF, that would be great. Because for what i understood thus far, turning a BRIR into a PRIR-like with our HRTF might be done via the Realiser Exchange, and for a fee, which restricts the experimentations we may want to do with that. If i can do it myself, i may try it on many different BRIRs until i find the one that suits me best, but if i have to pay for every BRIR customization, i'll think twice before doing it...

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,245 of 15,986
Oh, I can think of many other improvements (just wishfull thinking here) for example
-full atmos 9.1.6 decoding (similar for DTS, and 15.1 Auro 3D)?
-something specific for Ambisonics?
-sophisticated room correction for AV Amp mode, like Dirac Live

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #2,246 of 15,986
Hiya Levi,
thanks for the link. Looks a fascinating project. Because it's Indiegogo I'm out. I'm tired of spending money and not getting anything for it and not knowing when I'm gonna get it or even if I'll ever get it. The business model sucks and is very much in the favour of the manufacturer rather than the consumer. We shouldn't be encouraging Indiegogo and the rest of them. It will end up with all new projects being done this way which is not good for us. These early bird perks etc prey on our wanting to get a bargain. In the end they cause more anguish than they're worth. Just my opinion no facts here of course
I would totally agree with you if Audeze wasn't behind this. Indiegogo or not, I think they're a reputable company and will live up to their commitments, so they don't represent a consumer risk imo. Having said that, I would still wait for the A16...

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #2,247 of 15,986
The tracker being wireless would be probably be something that I would hope for - otherwise the feature set pretty much ticks all the boxes I can think of.
you dont want to mess around with batteries because they wouldnt be interchangeable by ourselves. thats why im glad that theres is a chance for a8 owners only getting the new cabled tracker

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #2,249 of 15,986
Audeze is a good company and the Mobius headphones will be good for the price, but i don't think personally, that anything at the moment on the market will move you and bring so much 3D surround sound realism like the A16.
Anyone planning to use Stax 009 with it?
What will be your headphones of choice.
I am wondering how Ether Flow will work as for me they were more comfortable then HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back