Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 15, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #2,221 of 16,005
Thoughts?:

Headtracking on the Mobius could work with tracks recorded from the A16 with the appropriate settings, allowing a version of the A16 surround experience while on the go?

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,222 of 16,005
What would be great is if somehow any of these new products could work with a Realiser PRIR (or could work with impulse responses derived from a Realiser PRIR).

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,223 of 16,005
The Realiser is the most future-proof IMO.

I agree, and unlike a headphone with an integrated DAC/amp it doesn't become redundant the moment you buy a new headphone. That said, I can't resist pointing out that the best way to future-proof something is never to release it! [j/k]

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #2,224 of 16,005
Crucial advancements like HRTF modeling and, in that case, the adoption of AES HRTF standard file format, can be upgraded via firmware.

HRTF modeling can be integrated into the web based app or they could also use a third party app for HRTF modeling, with such HRTF files being stored at the Exchange site for better personalization of studio RIR or BRIR.

New dsp with higher computing power (or two A16 units) may allow higher order ambisonics. But I don’t think we will find content for that yet.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #2,226 of 16,005
Any A8 owners, those that have tried the A16 prototypes, or more experienced heads in general around here, do you think the new Massdrop Focal Elex would work with the A16? Warrent enough possible improvement to be worth the investment over my current choices of AKG K702 65th Ani (converted to balanced) or Massdrop Senn HD6xx (also balanced) or Shure 1540 balanced cable in the rare cases I need a closed headphone. Anyway use the 702's the most so far, but would the A16 effect be much more pronounced and resolved on the Focal Elex (or any other suggestions in that $500-800 range that can hang near the $1xxx+ crowd in this realm? Or maybe a HiFi Man Planar Magnetic?) Thoughts?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #2,227 of 16,005
@mikemav: I don't have much experience with expensive headphones, but I just wanted to say: don't forget to pay (a lot of) attention to comfort. You don't want to end up with something you can't bear to have on your head for more than 10 minutes. Hence buying something online without feeling how it fits first is tricky, unless you don't mind the hassle of having to return it if it should come to that.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2,228 of 16,005
Keep in mind that if you plan to use the Audeze Mobius for watching movies in surround sound, the playback device has to have USB output (or Lightning with an adapter). That means no surround sound for users of Apple TV and many similar devices. It does not support wireless multi-channel.

(I bought one anyway. I want a two channel wireless headphone and the Mobius looks like it will be fun to play around with.)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,230 of 16,005
So it turns out the Mobius can only do multichannel from a computer or some Android phones, but not from any iOS/tvOS device. I guess that is why they are marketing it primarily for gaming.
because it's the Waves app that is turning multichannel into stereo signal which is then sent to the headphone. I don't think the headphone can do much of anything in an autonomous way.

edit: 100% assumption, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #2,231 of 16,005
because it's the Waves app that is turning multichannel into stereo signal which is then sent to the headphone. I don't think the headphone can do much of anything in an autonomous way.

I don't think that is correct. If it is, I'll see if I can cancel my order. There is something called the Creator Edition that has Waves for people creating VR content. However, the text certainly sounds like it has some version of Waves built-in as well ("Mobius integrates Waves Nx technology for real-time 3D processing in hardware."). If hardware means your computer or phone and not the headphones, they are being dishonest; I really hope that is not the case. It can do 3D/Ambisonics from a two channel Bluetooth or an analog source, so it must have a DSP in the headphones. I believe it also has built-in EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,232 of 16,005
I don't think that is correct. If it is, I'll see if I can cancel my order. There is something called the Creator Edition that has Waves for people creating VR content. However, the text certainly sounds like it has some version of Waves built-in as well ("Mobius integrates Waves Nx technology for real-time 3D processing in hardware."). If hardware means your computer or phone and not the headphones, they are being dishonest; I really hope that is not the case. It can do 3D/Ambisonics from a two channel Bluetooth or an analog source, so it must have a DSP in the headphones. I believe it also has built-in EQ.
You can cancel your oder if you didn't pay more then 10 days ago.I believe the Mobius is a good headphone for what it can do, but other than that everything is exaggerated, where for my the A16 is the real deal.
Hopefully after 8 April CanJam Los Angeles we can have a realistic shipping date.

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #2,233 of 16,005
You can cancel your oder if you didn't pay more then 10 days ago.I believe the Mobius is a good headphone for what it can do, but other than that everything is exaggerated, where for my the A16 is the real deal.
Hopefully after 8 April CanJam Los Angeles we can have a realistic shipping date.

I don't disagree about the A-16. I'm getting two. :)

I'm not going to cancel my Mobius order because I want a good wireless headphone and I'm fairly sure that it really does have built-in EQ and Ambisonics for two-channel Bluetooth.

Edit: Found this informative post...

With the same driver technology as our LCD series, ultra thin diaphragm, extremely low distortion drivers, linear response and fine control we have over the diaphragm, with AAC and LDAC support, one will be hard pressed to find a better sounding (not just tonally, but also in clarity, speed and detail retrieval) wireless headphone.

Linear response and extremely low distortions allow the use of DSPs not just for 3D audio but also to add transparent Cipher DSP presets. On a PC/Mac setup, 3D can be turned of and it is also possible to turn off the inbuilt DSP preset by setting the preset mode to 'Flat', then use Audeze Reveal plugin or your favorite plugin to personalize the tonal response. We anticipate most will like the default tuning built through Cipher DSP presets but i understand we head-fiers like to tinker. Though we are currently not offering a EQ app, the hardware supports it and we are not rejecting the possibility if we see the demand.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2,234 of 16,005
I don't disagree about the A-16. I'm getting two. :)

I'm not going to cancel my Mobius order because I want a good wireless headphone and I'm fairly sure that it really does have built-in EQ and Ambisonics for two-channel Bluetooth.

Edit: Found this informative post...

I'll test my first and was planning to get a second for the living room as well.

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #2,235 of 16,005
I have to confess, I assumed the worst and imagined the headphone with only the head tracking sensors while everything else was handled by the Waves app or whatever 3D processing included in games or whatever. but I have no evidence of anything so please pretty please don't do anything rash based on my previous post. I'm going to edit it right away not to sound so damn sure of myself, as I really wasn't. :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back