Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #4,441 of 15,986
For those who may not get it :
February 2019 Update
Publié par James Smyth (collaborateur)

We are aware we haven’t provided an update since December 21st 2018. Since early December we have been pursuing compliance and certification and this process is still on-going. We appreciate how frustrating this is, especially when the final product is within touching distance and we have assembled and tested A16s ready for shipping.

We will be exhibiting at the AES European Convention in Dublin on March 21-23 2019, where we will be demonstrating the A16 and answering any questions.

So, no news for now, except, still, that some A16s are ready for shipping... I suppose with Christmas holidays, the certification process was on hold for a while at Dolby's...

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #4,444 of 15,986
At least some units have been assembled.

FTFY

They should have at least mentioned what stage of compliance and certification they are up to - did it pass the internal checklists and waiting on the window from Dolby? Has the final product been sent to Dolby yet, are they still at the stage they were at in the December update, or have they been sent back for more changes/delays from the initial testing checklist?

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #4,445 of 15,986
Not really ... with VR a sound at the left [or right] gets -centered- when you turn your head to the left [or right, respectively] to center your eyesight on it.

With this, you turn your head to the left [or right] and the head tracker pans the sound to -right- ear [or left ear, respectively].

This is the same deal with the Mobius. Audeze themselves explain this as the inappropriateness of the Mobius with VR to us in that thread when the same idea was posted there.

Would you please explain the "inappropriateness" of the A16 with VR?

If you warch VR content at YouTube for instance the VR headset inputs head rotation data and the ambisonics algorithm already allows to rotate the soundfiled. Even without VR headsets soundfields are rotated when you scroll the image in your monitor (note that in that case your head stays stationary).

On the other hand, if you want the A16 to deal with soundfield rotation, one would use the slave in port, if compatible with your source.

So are you really sure the A16 cannot be used with VR? Are you sure the A16 won't be using an standard to acquire head rotation data from VR headsets?

Please refrain from using inappropriate terms like the one in post n. 14758878. Thank you very much.

p.s.: YouTube is limited to first order ambisonics...

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #4,446 of 15,986
FTFY

They should have at least mentioned what stage of compliance and certification they are up to - did it pass the internal checklists and waiting on the window from Dolby? Has the final product been sent to Dolby yet, are they still at the stage they were at in the December update, or have they been sent back for more changes/delays from the initial testing checklist?

Indeed they could have been a bit more explicit about the stage they reached in the certification process. However, i doubt they've been "sent back for more changes/delays from the initial testing checklist". They are not rookies at that, and they have already been delayed for a long while all through summer and autumn, so that the A16 could pass all the self tests. So if Dolby allows companies to make the tests before sending their product for certification, i don't think that Dolby would afterwards block certification for some issue, otherwise it would mean that the self-tests they propose are unefficient.
I believe that it's still going towards the right direction, slowlier than i'd like, but we'll get there eventually...

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #4,447 of 15,986
So if Dolby allows companies to make the tests before sending their product for certification, i don't think that Dolby would afterwards block certification for some issue

I'd imagine that the A16 does a lot beyond and above what's required under the Dolby Certification.
Dolby have been locking down what hardware is allowed to do while still qualifying for Certification over the last year or so.
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dolby-non-native-upmixing-atmos

There may be a process the unit does or can do (eg upmix Dolby 5.1 to DTS-X 7.1.2) that they put their foot down on.
(not saying that would be a block, just that there may be some things that the "Self Test" doesn't check for that Dolby won't certify a unit with, or that Smyth interpret differently to how Dolby does)

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #4,449 of 15,986
Would be great to hear directly from them about a possible real shipping date.

Would be great to hear, but remember the last time they were pinned down and asked point blank they had zero issue saying "4-6 weeks"

If they haven't posted a definite date by March I wouldn't put much faith in what they say.

If the units aren't available to order at the show in March, I'd put in even less.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #4,450 of 15,986
By the way: I did not yet receive the last update as an e-mail. (Lately I did receive most of the update e-mails, in the beginning I did not.) So they are still struggling with the mailing list(s).

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #4,451 of 15,986
By the way: I did not yet receive the last update as an e-mail. (Lately I did receive most of the update e-mails, in the beginning I did not.) So they are still struggling with the mailing list(s).

Same here, used to not get them, then lately got them but usually a bit later. Maybe this one will arrive a bit later as well?

These things have to travel across the canal to us, you know. If British internet is anything like their Royal Mail it can take a while. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back