Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #4,411 of 16,011
The other thing I'm wondering about, is now that they've jacked up the price to $4k USD is whether they have any orders whatsoever for the product at that price?

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #4,412 of 16,011
The other thing I'm wondering about, is now that they've jacked up the price to $4k USD is whether they have any orders whatsoever for the product at that price?
Of course they do for such unique product. People pay more then that for just some in ear monitors, or music players. Look at the new Walkman ,for example :
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/dmp-z1
£8000 !!!
And would not even last as long as the Realiser A16, as in few years it will be outdated.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #4,413 of 16,011
whether they have any orders whatsoever for the product at that price?

Hasn't been available to order since the pre-orders closed, so no, there won't be any orders at the RRP yet.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #4,414 of 16,011
Of course they do for such unique product. People pay more then that for just some in ear monitors, or music players. Look at the new Walkman ,for example :
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/dmp-z1
£8000 !!!
And would not even last as long as the Realiser A16, as in few years it will be outdated.

Ahh a commonly made mistake. As long as a piece of audio gear is built right there is no such thing as outdated. Think EMT, Fairchild, Tannoy. Those 3 companies built their gears to such a high standard that sixty years later their gears still make most modern summit-fi gear look like toys. Only time will tell on the Sony Walkman. I personally can not stand Sony post late 1990's but only time will tell on the Sony Walkman.

I'm going to ask the moderator(s) a second time. Can this thread please be locked? The January update was a big deal for most the people on this thread and nothing. If I were the Smyth's I would never release the A16 as it already has generated a 300 page hype thread with no end in site and no product in the wild.

Just my own 2 cents but this reeks of Single Power.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #4,415 of 16,011
Don't ask anyone as we like this thread, it gives us strength while we wait.:)
I don't think that you understand what I wrote above....and please do not compare speakers with a portable music player. The later will always fail soon or later, but speakers will last long time like a good bycicle. People will buy anything at any price if they believe is worth it !
Now let's get back to the main topic.
When do you guys think we will receive for real the A16?

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #4,416 of 16,011
I'm going to ask the moderator(s) a second time. Can this thread please be locked?
Why on earth would you want this thread be locked? If you are not interested don't go here. If you are bothered by notifications turn them off. There are people who like to post and read in this thread. And to the people who complain that the thread is not about the technical ins and outs anymore, but mainly about delays and progress and possible delivery dates etc.: the latter is what's of interest now. The technical ins and outs been discussed a 100 times in the older part of the thread: seek and you will find.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #4,417 of 16,011
Don't ask anyone as we like this thread, it gives us strength while we wait.:)
I don't think that you understand what I wrote above....and please do not compare speakers with a portable music player. The later will always fail soon or later, but speakers will last long time like a good bycicle. People will buy anything at any price if they believe is worth it !
Now let's get back to the main topic.
When do you guys think we will receive for real the A16?

I can ask whoever I want to and what are you even talking about with portable player and speakers. I never made such a comparison and I think it is you who does not understand but to each their own. And what main topic? This thread is 300 pages of hype period.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #4,418 of 16,011
Why on earth would you want this thread be locked? If you are not interested don't go here. If you are bothered by notifications turn them off. There are people who like to post and read in this thread. And to the people who complain that the thread is not about the technical ins and outs anymore, but mainly about delays and progress and possible delivery dates etc.: the latter is what's of interest now. The technical ins and outs been discussed a 100 times in the older part of the thread: seek and you will find.

There is not going to be a delivery date.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #4,420 of 16,011
There is not going to be a delivery date.
Aha, you have inside information from Smyth, the project is canceled? They are going to throw away all the hardware they already have, and that worst case could be delivered without dolby-, dts- and auro 3D decoders but only working with a stripped down user interface, only inputting multichannel pcm and analog? Whahahaha. Most likely there will be a delivery date. But I don't expect that in the next update if that's what you were thinking.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4,421 of 16,011
I'm wondering where the Smyth Bros are getting funds for continuing R&D, not to mention delivery costs. I fear an outcome similar to the Yarra 3dx - running out of cash and unable to deliver ever after raising over a million dollars.

Feb 3, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #4,422 of 16,011
Best this would be fun to wear with virtual reality glasses on if you can have both on at once...

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4,423 of 16,011
Best this would be fun to wear with virtual reality glasses on if you can have both on at once...
Not really ... with VR a sound at the left [or right] gets -centered- when you turn your head to the left [or right, respectively] to center your eyesight on it.

With this, you turn your head to the left [or right] and the head tracker pans the sound to -right- ear [or left ear, respectively].

This is the same deal with the Mobius. Audeze themselves explain this as the inappropriateness of the Mobius with VR to us in that thread when the same idea was posted there.

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #4,424 of 16,011
The last update was 21st Dec 2018. The Friday before Christmas. They probably did not return to work until the Monday 7th Jan 2019. As reported in the Dec update Dolby may not have even looked at the results or done their tests yet. I know that it is frustrating waiting for James to write an update, but there may be nothing new to report.

21st Dec 2018 Update:
Dolby are now reviewing them. Once they’re happy with them they’ll allocate us a ‘test’ slot, but this is unlikely to happen until the New Year."

Dolby may not have returned to work until 7th Jan 2019 either, and not got round to completing the Dolby Atmos Certification tests on the A16 yet.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #4,425 of 16,011
The last update was 21st Dec 2018. The Friday before Christmas. They probably did not return to work until the Monday 7th Jan 2019. As reported in the Dec update Dolby may not have even looked at the results or done their tests yet. I know that it is frustrating waiting for James to write an update, but there may be nothing new to report.

21st Dec 2018 Update:
Dolby are now reviewing them. Once they’re happy with them they’ll allocate us a ‘test’ slot, but this is unlikely to happen until the New Year."

Dolby may not have returned to work until 7th Jan 2019 either, and not got round to completing the Dolby Atmos Certification tests on the A16 yet.

Then there should still be an update of nothing new to report. No update at all is not good. A monthly update is not asking for much at all considering how far behind this project is and how much hard earned cash people forked over to get in line for one of these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back