Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 3, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #4,426 of 15,986
Aha, you have inside information from Smyth, the project is canceled? They are going to throw away all the hardware they already have, and that worst case could be delivered without dolby-, dts- and auro 3D decoders but only working with a stripped down user interface, only inputting multichannel pcm and analog? Whahahaha. Most likely there will be a delivery date. But I don't expect that in the next update if that's what you were thinking.

Nope

I'm wondering where the Smyth Bros are getting funds for continuing R&D, not to mention delivery costs. I fear an outcome similar to the Yarra 3dx - running out of cash and unable to deliver ever after raising over a million dollars.

Yep

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #4,427 of 15,986
Then there should still be an update of nothing new to report. No update at all is not good. A monthly update is not asking for much at all considering how far behind this project is and how much hard earned cash people forked over to get in line for one of these.

I agree with you but we have all come to realize that Smyth communications, especially with their updates never arrive on time.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #4,428 of 15,986
Not really ... with VR a sound at the left [or right] gets -centered- when you turn your head to the left [or right, respectively] to center your eyesight on it.

With this, you turn your head to the left [or right] and the head tracker pans the sound to -right- ear [or left ear, respectively].

This is the same deal with the Mobius. Audeze themselves explain this as the inappropriateness of the Mobius with VR to us in that thread when the same idea was posted there.

Have you tried VR content at YouTube?

Can you calibrate the image and sound origin in the beginning? Origin meaning 0 value to radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle?

What is the spatial orientation precision of your VR headset headtracking over time?

Is there a drift between the VR headset and the audio headtracking device?

With slave in port plugged, can the A16 be used in master or slave mode to synchronize origins?

Does the Mobius or Creative have headtracking syncronization?

Is there an standard for headtracking syncronization data for computers, video game consoles and VR headsets?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #4,429 of 15,986
? What ?

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #4,430 of 15,986
So basically my best bet is to just use my VR goggles with my HT surround system?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,431 of 15,986
I think I’m not understanding how this A16 will work after looking at the website. I assumed it kept the virtual audio room stable and you can move your head around in the room and the sound is fixed like your speakers would be in a HT setup. Not sure why it would be incompatible to use with VR goggles, since the sound is fixed on those as well. Sure, the VR image will shift as you move your head to look at other areas of the VR world, but the sound would still be anchored within that world. Not sure what I’m missing.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #4,432 of 15,986
I'll tell you if I ever get it. I have to stick by what the manufacturer Audeze said on the topic, drawing similarities to operation of this. The virtualization is already done in the VR software.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,433 of 15,986
I'll tell you if I ever get it. I have to stick by what the manufacturer Audeze said on the topic, drawing similarities to operation of this. The virtualization is already done in the VR software.

It would seem like they could just operate together independently with the A16 utilizing the PC sound output.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #4,434 of 15,986
It would seem like they could just operate together independently with the A16 utilizing the PC sound output.
But that pc sound output is already virtualized.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #4,435 of 15,986
But that pc sound output is already virtualized.

Yes, and it would seem that the A16 would then transfer that virtualization to a virtual HT setup. Not seeing why that would not work. If I would already be using something like the Vive, it’s outputting its sound algorithms to the PC audio drivers which would then output through the audio card/speakers. I’m not understanding why outputting this signal to the A16 instead for a virtual surround setup with headphones would be a problem.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #4,436 of 15,986
The sound out from the computer from VR software is already altered (portions time delayed, phased, etc) to give you an impression of a 3D space, is my under standing. There is no place for the A16 to be adding to that. It will just screw-up the already processed signal. ... is how Audeze explained it to us (as they communicate with their customers). If I am wrong that the A16 doesnt operate in similar fashion, I will be so so happy to be wrong.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #4,437 of 15,986
Followup ... perhaps, if the A16 is run WITHOUT the head tracker & head tracking processing added, it could work. (assuming here one can; would be surprised if one can't)

On the Audeze Mobius it is not possible to use their 3D processing, and turn head-tracking off. So there may be my mistake in equating the two.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #4,438 of 15,986
The goal for me would be to take the virtual audio signals from the Vive, and then have it transposed via the A16 into a larger virtual HT with different speaker signatures on a decent HP. I’d guess it would be possible to get the speaker signatures without tracking (if the A16 is designed to separate them), but emulating a larger acoustic space wouldn’t be possible then.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #4,439 of 15,986
Wish I had the A16 in hand to answer... grrr.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #4,440 of 15,986
@QueueCumber : I briefly looked at this Vive thing but am not completely sure what it does. It looks just like a set of VR goggles and what happens to audio just depends on the complete system that you use it with (software?). The big question related to possibly using the A16 is: does the system only output audio that has already been binauralised (with compensation for head movements)? If that is the case then the A16 won't be of much use. If the system can output audio intended to be played over speakers - in that case the audio has not been binauralised - then you can use the A16 (with head tracking). There may be more possibilities regarding the exact nature of the audio from the system, depending on that there may be limited use for the A16 with or without headtracking.
PS @m8o : Generally about the possibilty to use the A16 without head tracking: during my demo in Munich I asked if they could switch head-tracking off for a moment. They said something about that being difficult with the current set-up (with the old prototype) and then I suggested to simply disconnect the head-tracker. "That will work" they responded and so we did. (I had to make sure I was looking straight forward at the moment they disconnected). I assume that with the production version the same trick is always possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back