Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 5, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #4,458 of 15,986

February 2019 Update
Posted by James Smyth (Collaborator)
We are aware we haven’t provided an update since December 21st 2018. Since early December we have been pursuing compliance and certification and this process is still on-going. We appreciate how frustrating this is, especially when the final product is within touching distance and we have assembled and tested A16s ready for shipping.

We will be exhibiting at the AES European Convention in Dublin on March 21-23 2019, where we will be demonstrating the A16 and answering any questions.

Comment on Kickstarter
utility-spacer.png

Don't want to receive updates from this project? That's okay, you can unsubscribe.

Kickstarter, PBC · 58 Kent St, Brooklyn NY 11222
Contact us We're hiring
Subscribe to our newsletters
o.gif

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #4,459 of 15,986
The big question related to possibly using the A16 is: does the system only output audio that has already been binauralised (with compensation for head movements)? If that is the case then the A16 won't be of much use. If the system can output audio intended to be played over speakers - in that case the audio has not been binauralised - then you can use the A16 (with head tracking). There may be more possibilities regarding the exact nature of the audio from the system, depending on that there may be limited use for the A16 with or without headtracking.

Perhaps a 2 channel PRIR free from crosstalk may work with audio that has already been binauralised? I mean "work" at least with frontal localization...

The source would still be rotating the soundfield. With A16 headtracking off, the A16 filter would only externalize channels.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #4,460 of 15,986
I think the full multi speaker setup should work with tracking on.

Does the Vive move the sound through a fixed 5.1/7.1 setup OK?

With the A16 you'll be using the virtual speakers - not headphones - those virtual speakers will still need to be fixed in space, not turn with your head

Feb 10, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #4,465 of 15,986
I have been using the S2 with my A8. I highly recommend it. The Realiser's tactile output is wired to the S2's input.

Regarding the tactile setup, I recently replaced the pillow with a Flexound Humu. Now I can feel bass on the back of my head/neck and top of my shoulders. I can also use the full-range Humu for left/right surround channels when I'm not wearing headphones.

humu_front.jpg

I added a belt to hold the Humu in place. I partially unzipped the Humu on each side and fed the belt through it.

humu_back.jpg

humu_wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #4,466 of 15,986
Regarding the tactile setup, I recently replaced the pillow with a Flexound Humu. Now I can feel bass on the back of my head/neck and top of my shoulders. I can also use the full-range Humu for left/right surround channels when I'm not wearing headphones.

I added a belt to hold the Humu in place. I partially unzipped the Humu on each side and fed the belt through it.

Looking at that it seems to me that when listening to the Humu full range then cross talk will be limited. (Limited to sound that bends forward and upward around your head). So first thing I would try is: make a HPEQ of the Humu and listen what happens if you use it instead of headphones with your A8 supplying binauralised audio! Or did you already try... The result of course won't match that of using headphones but who knows, maybe it is good enough to enjoy when you don't feel like wearing headphones and can not make too much noise (late at night or for whatever reason).

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #4,467 of 15,986

Thanks for sharing. Could you only use the tactile element?

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #4,468 of 15,986

I attached tactile transducers to a board at the base of a recliner and I get a very even response on the whole chair, ottoman/foot rest, seat, armrests, back rest. Same on a desk chair attached to the frame. A bit more involved but significantly more immersive.
20190210_164249.jpg 20190101_160059.jpg 20190101_160119.jpg
The system uses a separate usb dac, 31 band graphic equalizer, active crossover, and amplifier.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #4,470 of 15,986
Looking at that it seems to me that when listening to the Humu full range then cross talk will be limited. (Limited to sound that bends forward and upward around your head). So first thing I would try is: make a HPEQ of the Humu and listen what happens if you use it instead of headphones with your A8 supplying binauralised audio! Or did you already try... The result of course won't match that of using headphones but who knows, maybe it is good enough to enjoy when you don't feel like wearing headphones and can not make too much noise (late at night or for whatever reason).
I made an HPEQ of the Humu, but when I select it, I sometimes hear clipping/distortion during louder sounds, maybe because the treble is somewhat rolled off on the Humu, and the A8 is overcompensating. When I select the HPEQ of my Stax headphones, the clipping/distortion goes away. Regardless of which HPEQ is selected, when I use a PRIR and listen to the Humu, I mostly perceive the sounds as coming from in front of me, even though the Humu is behind me. However, if I turn my head even just a little bit off-center, I can easily tell that the sounds are actually coming from behind me. When I don't use a PRIR, I always perceive the sounds as coming from behind me. Anyway, when I'm not wearing headphones, I can use my HyperSound speakers for the front pair which are highly-directional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back