Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #2,116 of 16,050
[Post modified by Mod]
You seem to place me in this Group 1 you call "The Enablers" (for whatever that means, my english may have some holes because i don't see the meaning in the context...) but you forgot to give a name to the Group 3 you place yourself into... i suggest "The Whiners" :cry:
The Smyth often use Sennheiser HD800 for their demos indeed and they said that it's mostly because they are comfortable. But they are not telling people to buy it. They made it clear that the A16, as well as the A8 before that, will work with any pair of decent headphones. I will wait to get my A16 and to experience my headphones with it first and then i may consider upgrading for a better pair.

Are you not exagerating a tad ? Yes the A16 is late, but even though it goes slower than we'd like, the progress is real and the final product is announced to be demoed in a month. So, shipping should come rather soon after, let's say before the end of first semester (may 2018 sounds realistic to me)

If you like being CanJammed, that’s your own business. But calling people whiners for expecting accountability is just silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #2,117 of 16,050
I'm sooo sorry.
:wink:
I’m sorry too, because I didn’t make myself clear... I highly doubt that one change would have delayed the process by more than, like, three extra months. I bring it up, because that was the first thing Smyth said would be causing a delay. Wasn’t trying to single you out or anything, my foggy memory ascribes a few people to being concerned about this.

IF the A16 could’ve been released on target, as it seemed it was just getting polished up with a functional model at CanJams, then yeah I am still a few years out from investing in an OLED with HDR and more goodies and I would’ve liked to have a year enjoying the A16 and recommending the next batch to others. But, at this point, I think the A16 would’ve been quite delayed anyway, so I might as well have the more future-proof HDMI.

Nothing is never done, it’s just due. Getting caught in a feature creep loop was what I was afraid of way back then, but I do think they’re pushing towards their goal now.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,118 of 16,050
Nah, I read your post and got the point. I'm just pointing out that it was probably yet at least one reason that contributed to the delay pile is all. Plus, some here didn't believe it was something that should be seen as necessary. In hindsight, yeah, it was going to have some major delays regardless though.

Also...I'm not really sorry for wanting that implemented, and I ended up getting an Oppo-203 anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,119 of 16,050
One of the problems is that the Kickstarter initial videos show the product as already working, then a year later you find out that at best the reactions of listeners was based on some model running on a PC and the product shots were concept art.

Is there any basis for this?

Looks like a prototype to me:
https://imgur.com/a/yHzUy

Where's the PC?
https://imgur.com/a/5Uaq9

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #2,120 of 16,050
So, this Smyth Realizer is still unrealized....? :ksc75smile:

(...) In addition to the $1800 I spent for Smyth Unrealized, I paid $1800 for overpriced Sennheiser headphones based on the recommendation of Smyth Unrealized. (...)

@wink, you gave the idea, it is your fault, now come back here and restore humor in this thread.

@TedTimmis, thank you for explaining the meaning of “enabler”. I agree accountability is important. I believe people only disagree with the intensity of your reaction and words. I think I can wait at least until May.

@Evshrug, welcome back! The US video game industry generated a record $36 billion in revenue in 2017. In 2016, global recorded music revenues totalled US$15.7 billion. I also bet methods for quick and discreet calibrations and virtual sound reconstruction of real sound fields will have more demand in gaming products.

Where's the PC?

I also believe Smyth had a 16 channel prototype since the beginning. What really enabled proprietary filters in DACs, bass management/enhancement in audio equipment and virtualization of sound fields was not theoretical innovations. The theory was already well developed. The difference is that now companies can buy affordable programmable chips. So in order to verify which chipset had computing power to jump from 8 channels to 16 channels they necessarily had to prototype a new circuit with newer programmable chips. Does it make sense?

The problem is that devices such as the A16 are not simple projects, they have a lot of components from several suppliers/partners and need a lot of coding. No matter how good you are in project management and how conservative is your schedule, things not always happen in the time they were expected.

So IMHO I am not an enabler for the moment.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #2,121 of 16,050
As an Ossic - former - development backers I am facing the reality that Ossic seems not to have the funds to even produce the units they promised to the Kickstarter backers https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rst-3d-audio-headphones-calibrated-t/comments
So there is where my fear comes from.
Thanks for that! Still waiting for my pair, too - ordered in July of 2016.
Smyth Research is perhaps the one and only project I will ever back on Kickstarter. They have a track record, they've always been extremely transparent on what their processor does and doesn't, it was a no brainer. Of course, their are many backers annoyed because they want it yesterday but for me, I have no doubt this is just a matter of time, let these guys do their job.
But, 2.7M backed for this vaporware headphone that will never come out, this is sick! I would particularly be dubious of projects that look too good to be true, like those headphones that even the largest players in the field today could not dream of designing...
One of the problems is that the Kickstarter initial videos show the product as already working, then a year later you find out that at best the reactions of listeners was based on some model running on a PC and the product shots were concept art. The Smyth isn’s bad from that point of view (though let's be blunt: it wasn't good); the Ossic video was basically sci-fi.

Where's the PC?
pcfi, looking at the context (the messages before) I assume Sordel was talking about Ossic not Smyth.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,122 of 16,050
Thank you for the welcome. Although officially new to Head-Fi, I have followed this thread for a very long time. The posts have started to aggregate around three groups: Group 1 are the enablers; Group 2 are those debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin; I can summarize the first two groups as blah, blah, blah. Group 3 are those wondering what the hell is going on with Smith Unrealized. After they took our money, we’ve never heard from them. The only communications I’ve seen are rare Kickstarter posts.

Don’t you think it’s odd that Smyth Unrealized has NEVER posted on this forum even though it’s really the only active forum for its product? Odd and/or insulting. It’s time we start demanding accountability or start shopping for class action attorneys.

You basically say we should give them more time. Fair enough. So, how much time, Mr. Sander, would you be willing to wait? Another year? Two years? Five Years? I would also be interested in hearing how much time others will wait. And if another year goes by with no product, what will you do?

Barges in here with nothing but negativity, tries to rally people for a class action suit and divides the people in here into categories.
Nice piece of work we have here!

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2,123 of 16,050
pcfi, looking at the context (the messages before) I assume Sordel was talking about Ossic not Smyth.

Oops, quite right, my mistake.

Some chill pills needed around here. I get that people are annoyed at the delays, but It's a Kickstarter. Smyth gave explicit warning about the possibility of delays from day zero. If delays were going to make you so unhappy, you shouldn't have invested money in a product that didn't exist yet.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2,125 of 16,050
Oops, quite right, my mistake.

Some chill pills needed around here. I get that people are annoyed at the delays, but It's a Kickstarter. Smyth gave explicit warning about the possibility of delays from day zero. If delays were going to make you so unhappy, you shouldn't have invested money in a product that didn't exist yet.

It was a Kickstarter. After the Kickstarter campaign concluded, Smyth Unrealized sold hundreds, if not thousands, of preorders by misrepresenting its product as market ready.

Moreover, even though this IS the forum for Smyth Unrealized, why hasn’t Smyth Unrealized posted ANYTHING? Do you like being CanJammed?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #2,127 of 16,050
@wink, you gave the idea, it is your fault, now come back here and restore humor in this thread.

(snip)
I realise that the Realiser has not been realised yet, so reality dictates that the reality in this thread has been suspended or shifted to another reality in the multiverse.

I've drug this on too long, so, it's time to take my alternate-reality pill.........:ksc75smile:

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #2,128 of 16,050
It was a Kickstarter. After the Kickstarter campaign concluded, Smyth Unrealized sold hundreds, if not thousands, of preorders by misrepresenting its product as market ready.

That's a serious allegation. I'm a pre-order customer and I never read or received any guarantee on shipping date. Can you share the one you received?

Moreover, even though this IS the forum for Smyth Unrealized, why hasn’t Smyth Unrealized posted ANYTHING? Do you like being CanJammed?

Maybe they're very busy trying to finish development/production. While some more regular updates would be nice, I'm glad my pre-order funds aren't being used for flashy internet marketing and forum troll warfare.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #2,129 of 16,050
I haven’t forgotten about the money. In addition to the $1800 I spent for Smyth Unrealized, I paid $1800 for overpriced Sennheiser headphones based on the recommendation of Smyth Unrealized. If I had $3600 back in my pocket, I might have considered the Denon 8500H or the Unity Atom. These are real products made by grown-ups and engineers with business plans and deadlines, not a bunch of nutty professors who make grand promises and then disappear with your money.
I really don't think you can blame Smyth for your decision to buy the Sennheisers. Not a bad steer in any case. A lovely pair of headphones, no? As for the rest I think you are choosing to characterise things in the worst possible light.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #2,130 of 16,050
"Smyth Unrealized", "The Enablers", "CanJammed"... please, enlighten my day and make up some more of these hilarious games of words They give so much more sense to your sentences...
I had a demo of the A16 in Paris, the device is real and does the job. I wish it was here already but it's not. C'est la vie...
Latest news from the French dealer, the plastic parts are still missing but since they are small and light, they will be sent by plane rather than by boat to save time.
Eventually they decided to assemble unit once the 1.0 firmware is ready. It will require then less manipulations of the units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back