SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 22, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #256 of 408
Sep 22, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #257 of 408
Is that going to replace Moonlight? Be cost-reduced version of it? or just complimentary?

Look like there are some differences looking at measurement, also it lacks information on Moonlight compared to Umi product page.

Moonlight

Moonlight_3.png

Umi

umi.png

1695415578897.png

1695415520452.png

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #258 of 408
Is that going to replace Moonlight? Be cost-reduced version of it? or just complimentary?
It is a different driver 92mm/25 ohms/90db vs 82mm/23 ohm/87db. The tuning is more relaxed up top, with extended sub bass and a wider sound stage. His projects have been limited runs up to this point though, so I would guess that Moonlight and Umi sales will overlap for a time. Just like Starry Night v2 and moonlight are right now.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #260 of 408
The one thing that drew me to the SN initially was the amazing coloured woodwork, that is completely missing with the Umi. I hope he'll bring that back. Now we have a headphone that competes almost 1:1 with the Sundara (which will be extremely hard to beat in terms of sound). In short: Interesting, but not for me.

There's beef already going on in the Caldera thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...gnetic-from-zmf.964836/page-344#post-17743414

Zzzzzz, i own a ZMF, i own a SJY. I think there are enough differences which DMS also pointed out.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #261 of 408
The one thing that drew me to the SN initially was the amazing coloured woodwork, that is completely missing with the Umi. I hope he'll bring that back. Now we have a headphone that competes almost 1:1 with the Sundara (which will be extremely hard to beat in terms of sound). In short: Interesting, but not for me.

There's beef already going on in the Caldera thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...gnetic-from-zmf.964836/page-344#post-17743414

Zzzzzz, i own a ZMF, i own a SJY. I think there are enough differences which DMS also pointed out.
My first impressions of the umi was also hey this looks like the sundaras a bit.... but to say sundaras sound good I completely disagree with in my opinion they were a complete waste of 350$ which is how much I paid for them. But yes they do look very similar

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #262 of 408
When I was talking to him in person, I think he wanted to stop making the moonlight and starry night. So these are the final headphones before umi. It's been a while so don't quote me and his plans might've changed.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #263 of 408
My first impressions of the umi was also hey this looks like the sundaras a bit.... but to say sundaras sound good I completely disagree with in my opinion they were a complete waste of 350$ which is how much I paid for them. But yes they do look very similar
yeah the sundaras were pretty trash, I find the 560v4 to be superior in every way

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #264 of 408
When I was talking to him in person, I think he wanted to stop making the moonlight and starry night. So these are the final headphones before umi. It's been a while so don't quote me and his plans might've changed.
And he mentioned he has a flagship coming too which he’s excited about.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #265 of 408
Posted some short Moonlight impressions on another forum, copying them for people who might be interested and aren't active there, too.

So far so very good, after more listening i’d sum up the Moonlight as an excellent allrounder without glaring weaknesses and with obvious strengths in balance, control, detail and imaging.
Amp choice matters quite a bit, on my Burson C3R wider soundstage, heavier bass and generally smoother sound made an audible difference to my E70V / A90D stack. Said stack on the other hand has the advantage in detail, control, seperation and imaging. One word on the bass quality: The Moonlight are indeed not the optimal choice for bassheads if the pure amount of bass and punch are the deciding factors. They do however - as stated earlier somewhat dependent on the amp choice - offer a really well controlled and textured bass.
All in all, this is a through and through enjoyable headphone if a balanced tuning is something compatible with your taste. Very enjoyable to look at and to listen to with pretty much any kind of music. Imo a great package for the price.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #268 of 408
Just a couple pics of the ones I just got today I have not tested them much yet will post a follow up after running them through a few of my amps etc
Some initial impressions

Soundstage is extremely good in terms of depth and width...

Detail retrieval imo is the star here for these headphones it is extremely good in my opinion.
Now they are difficult to drive I tested them on my topping dx5 and they sound enemic even at full blast... with the xduo xa-10 it is way better and very nice pairing for these .. I need to burn them in a little more..

As far as tonal quality
They are extremely neutral and slightly warm the bass has a definite roll of that's noticeable but easily fixable with a little eq .
Mids are very well balanced and very good.
Treble is also very well done no spikes or sibilance.

All in all well worth price.

My personal opinion so far is they sound best on my xduo xa-10 the cayin hybrid tube amp kinda muffles the low end a bit and makes the soundstage a bit more narrow. Could be the tubes I have.

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #270 of 408
Debating on bitting the bullet and saving up for a higher tier tube amp to drive Moonlight and the rest of my headphone collection. https://headphones.com/products/woo-audio-wa22-2nd-gen?_pos=9&_fid=9b434dbe9&_ss=c
Any thoughts? That amp seems to play well with Planar headphones.
I don't know much about that amp specifically however the tubes you use at least in my experience have a huge impact on tone, detail, etc so it's very difficult to say for sure if it would be a good pairing or not. Definitely has enough power I think. What I can tell you is that the tubes I have for my cayin hybrid tube amp don't pair well I might need to look around for something different. You most likely could run them fine with a brunson soloist or something possibly a schitt magni or higher end schitt could work. It probably comes down to preference.
Sorry if I'm not much help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back