SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 24, 2022 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 408

admiralnorman

New Head-Fier
The SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone from Jeffrey Yin is live on a crowdfunding site. Not sure about rules to linking so you'll have to Google. They are an over ear closed back wooden planar magnetic headphone. Zeos reviewed them on YouTube. You'll need some serious power to drive them, but I am also seriously intrigued. I believe he intends to ship even without hitting the goal and has delivered on his previous campaigns.

f2ng7wmgqy8lohgiltlo.jpg
l0xu0pg3ppwau909npmt.jpg
nr2zjs0udrrazz6jwenr.jpg
ofyrt1r1qpghkv8bmp7e.jpg
pbft3cidwiufh9cijxjt.jpg
vttf4gssmfxr5xn1kp7c.jpg
w2wq1qyzbwjtexzjidei.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 408
https://www.sjyaudio.com/

10 ohm :thinking:

It looks like it has a lot of bass, from the graphs. I wonder what the sensitivity is. I’m guessing you need a speaker amp to drive it.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 408

It looks like it has a lot of bass, from the graphs. I wonder what the sensitivity is. I’m guessing you need a speaker amp to drive it.
• Certainly with a 10-ohm impedance, albeit largely resistive, tube amplifiers are out. My guess is that, in current-drive mode, the Bakoon HDA-5210 MK-4 would be really up to the task.
• Warranty & service follow-through?

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 408
• Warranty & service follow-through?
I am not a representative or anything, but he answered a question on his campaign page with "The driver has warranty for free fixing, but the shipping cost of sending it back will be paid by customer. I will cover shipping it back to the customer. The packaging is just a simple box with foam and wraps."

Oct 25, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 408

In the Zeos review, he uses a Topping LA90 speaker amp and a Geshelli Archel 2.5 headphone amp in high gain and he reported that they were both good.

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 408
Update: This thing needs a speaker amp. Even if your headphone amp has "enough" power, the speaker amp is required to unlock the magic.

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 408
Update: This thing needs a speaker amp. Even if your headphone amp has "enough" power, the speaker amp is required to unlock the magic.
How magical does it get with a speaker amp? Is the sound reward huge?

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 408
How magical does it get with a speaker amp? Is the sound reward huge?
I would guess that some would say "better bass" "cleaner vocals" "improved imaging" type of thing. It all boils down to increased resolution. It effects every part of the sound profile. Most headphone amps I have also distort at a higher volume, but even if they don't they are missing that detail that makes these good. The only exception I have is the Douk Audio U5 with upgraded opamps. It does still distort at about 40% volume, but it puts out so much power you're practically deaf at that point anyways. So the starry nights at least sound okay on it.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 408
I would guess that some would say "better bass" "cleaner vocals" "improved imaging" type of thing. It all boils down to increased resolution. It effects every part of the sound profile. Most headphone amps I have also distort at a higher volume, but even if they don't they are missing that detail that makes these good. The only exception I have is the Douk Audio U5 with upgraded opamps. It does still distort at about 40% volume, but it puts out so much power you're practically deaf at that point anyways. So the starry nights at least sound okay on it.
Thanks for the reply. I also dm someone on the sound profile for the Starry Night and was informed it has fun mid-bass and treble that keeps to the Harmon target. That description was enough to get me interested. Unfortunately, I am currently saving up my funds for something else, so I can’t buy them now. Since the Starry Night need a speaker amp to unlock the magic anyway, I’ll try to remember to pick these up when I finish my 2 channel speaker setup.

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 408
I found a amazing review on the Starry Night in Reddit. The Starry Night sounds like a beast of a headphone! The reviewer the Starry Night modded the headphone with internal cotton dampening and it seem to fix his treble peak issues. In the review, it seem the new Starry Night will be adding the internal cotton dampening to all the new Starry Night headphones.

Reddit Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 408
I found a amazing review on the Starry Night in Reddit. The Starry Night sounds like a beast of a headphone! The reviewer the Starry Night modded the headphone with internal cotton dampening and it seem to fix his treble peak issues. In the review, it seem the new Starry Night will be adding the internal cotton dampening to all the new Starry Night headphones.

Reddit Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
I am using a tube amp as a pre-amp to cut the sibilant treble peak, but i thought it would be unique to me since i also get it from the meze 109 pro and it seems like i am the only person in the world who has that issue with the 109 pro. So i will likely have to attempt this mod. I also used a btr7 like the OP on reddit that tried the btr5. It did not distort and had enough power for decent volume, but it looses all the resolution that makes it great and makes the cans uninteresting. Very similar experience as with my Diana TC.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 408
I am using a tube amp as a pre-amp to cut the sibilant treble peak, but i thought it would be unique to me since i also get it from the meze 109 pro and it seems like i am the only person in the world who has that issue with the 109 pro. So i will likely have to attempt this mod. I also used a btr7 like the OP on reddit that tried the btr5. It did not distort and had enough power for decent volume, but it looses all the resolution that makes it great and makes the cans uninteresting. Very similar experience as with my Diana TC.
You could probably message SexyToasterArt on Reddit for more detail on the mods to do it yourself or it’s probably be better to send a email to Jeffrey (his email is in the official web page) to see if he could probably tweak it for you.

Feb 9, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 408
I wonder if it is compatible with ZMF's earpad! In ZEOS' review, the pad looked so SOFT that it looked really good when I replaced it with ZMF's earpad.

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 408
How often are new inventories added?
Not sure, but the Sexytoasterart did say this in his review, “Jeffrey Yin the maker, still crafted a complete product for every backer and then some, which are available directly through his site.” So the headphones in the website now is probably extras from their kickstarter campaign. Looking at the websites, their was about 45 available. After that, it seem Jeffrey will have to make new ones and the website said it will take about 3-4 weeks.

45C307F8-AD52-4807-BE43-EC1D34716A50.jpeg

67EA637D-9F3A-4045-8D31-77C16B95B019.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back