SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 19, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #226 of 434
As someone that has yet to try a ZMF headphone could you take pictures of them side by side (SJY and ZMF)? I'd love to see the differences. ZMF has some of the best finishes IMO
Yes, I'd be happy to upload some tomorrow.

Sep 19, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #227 of 434
I personally had a pair of zmf Atticus that I ended up getting rid of because they were far inferior to the SJY starry night v2 but meh again I'm not an expert here on all headphones or all zmf models.... I have demoed several models such as the caldera and the atrium and wasn't super impressed for how much they cost. The meze elite, emperyean or however it's spelled I thought sounded way better. Then either of the zmf mentioned. My point is that every one has different opinions and preferences on what they like or don't. Case in point two people in this forum say the starry night v2 is bright another said it's very dark... personally I think it's warm neutral.. I expect based on what I've heard about the moonlight it's probably more neutral possibly a tad brighter than the starry night. With a larger sound stage and better imaging and detail. Which would be pretty awesome... as far as design elements I have not seen anything close to the color ways and choices in any other brand. Do they share some similarities with other brands sure.... but to say they are knock offs is completely off base. Imo.

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #228 of 434
I personally had a pair of zmf Atticus that I ended up getting rid of because they were far inferior to the SJY starry night v2 but meh again I'm not an expert here on all headphones or all zmf models.... I have demoed several models such as the caldera and the atrium and wasn't super impressed for how much they cost. The meze elite, emperyean or however it's spelled I thought sounded way better. Then either of the zmf mentioned. My point is that every one has different opinions and preferences on what they like or don't. Case in point two people in this forum say the starry night v2 is bright another said it's very dark... personally I think it's warm neutral.. I expect based on what I've heard about the moonlight it's probably more neutral possibly a tad brighter than the starry night. With a larger sound stage and better imaging and detail. Which would be pretty awesome... as far as design elements I have not seen anything close to the color ways and choices in any other brand. Do they share some similarities with other brands sure.... but to say they are knock offs is completely off base. Imo.
I realise this is a SJY forum and I'm only here because I will end up getting a pair of Moonlights and love the discussion. Digressing a tiny bit (we all seem to have done), I have all low z planars at the moment. I have recently tested Auteur, Atrium O and Caldera in a shop in QLD Australia using a ferum stack amongst other things. Just quickly, Auteur sounded laid back very similar to my (wonderful) Sendy Peacocks , AO were a huge technical step up and lovely HPs, but just like the Peacocks, they couldn't handle technical, superfast speed metal (it all muddied a tad). The Caldera's...........now they were AWESOME imo!!!!!!!!! ANd as high-end planars, they handled speed metal with ease. I will definitely get a pair of them at some stage in my HP journey. But my Hifiman HE1000 Stealths to me are sublime, as are my new JM Audio xtc 2.5 closeds. My next purchase will definitely be a pair of Moonlights - keep sending thoughts/reviews please, both good and constructive. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #229 of 434
I realise this is a SJY forum and I'm only here because I will end up getting a pair of Moonlights and love the discussion. Digressing a tiny bit (we all seem to have done), I have all low z planars at the moment. I have recently tested Auteur, Atrium O and Caldera in a shop in QLD Australia using a ferum stack amongst other things. Just quickly, Auteur sounded laid back very similar to my (wonderful) Sendy Peacocks , AO were a huge technical step up and lovely HPs, but just like the Peacocks, they couldn't handle technical, superfast speed metal (it all muddied a tad). The Caldera's...........now they were AWESOME imo!!!!!!!!! ANd as high-end planars, they handled speed metal with ease. I will definitely get a pair of them at some stage in my HP journey. But my Hifiman HE1000 Stealths to me are sublime, as are my new JM Audio xtc 2.5 closeds. My next purchase will definitely be a pair of Moonlights - keep sending thoughts/reviews please, both good and constructive. Thanks!!!
Now you know why they have hearts in my sig 😂. Probably the best all in one headphone I've ever heard.

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #230 of 434
Now you know why they have hearts in my sig 😂. Probably the best all in one headphone I've ever heard.
Yes it was my first ever (and only) ZMF experience. I'm getting into tube amps and only haven't gone down ZMF path as I need otl amp (i have a eufonika otc). But Calderas are 60ohm so i will no doubt get a pair of those (the red in them look stunning!!). But I have to say though, My Sendys look amazing (bloody good Chinese TOTL wood cups), as do the JM Audios, and the Moonlights (on website now) are nothing short of stunning imo! Hifimans look boring but sound sensational!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1 hps.jpg
    1 hps.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #231 of 434
Yes it was my first ever (and only) ZMF experience. I'm getting into tube amps and only haven't gone down ZMF path as I need otl amp (i have a eufonika otc). But Calderas are 60ohm so i will no doubt get a pair of those (the res in them look stunning!!). But I have to say though, My Sendys look amazing (bloody good Chinese TOTL wood cups), as do the JM Audios, and the Moonlights (on website now) are nothing short of stunning imo! Hifimans look boring but sound sensational!!!!!!!
I still have my set of og Sendys. They do make a nice wood cup.

Once you go the otl tube route you will be very pleased. I used to be all about solid state, until I got a really good tube amp. Now that is all I have with the exception of my 2 channel amp.

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #232 of 434
Using my Burson Soloist 3XP to drive Moonlight right now, and it might actually sound better than the mono blocks. I have the Soloist in high gain, and due to Moonlight having a low sensitivity there is not a noise floor issue (noticeable on my Arya). A solid 2.5 watts + is what I would recommend (in my opinion) to get a decent presentation out of the Moonlight. I will also try them with my Topping L70, currently using it as a preamp for my TV setup though, lol. Unfortunately I won't be able to try it with my Asgard 3 any time soon since I loaned it to a friend, but given the fact that it was able to drive the Starry Night V1 comfortably I would say that it should do the trick. As with Starry Night V1, Moonlight will scale with equipment to a point so everyone will get a slight different experience. As I listen to Moonlight more, it makes me wonder how Umi will sound once he finalizes the tuning (we shall see). For the time being I won't be kicking my Arya off my desk (I only keep 3 there at a time), but my 3 desk headphones are now Arya Stealth, Starry Night V1, and Moonlight.

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #234 of 434
The Topping A70pro seems to make sense to pair with Moonlight provided that the A70pro sounds good, lol. TOPPING A70 Pro Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifier – Apos Audio
Between 12 and 17 watts of power (32 ohms & 16 ohms) should due the trick, but I have not listened to the A70pro. I would recommend buying it from a retailer with a good return policy just in case it doesn’t pair well with the Moonlight. If anyone with experience with the A70pro wants to chime in it would be much appreciated! Having another sub $500 option for an amp to power the Moonlight well would be nice.

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #235 of 434
The Topping A70pro seems to make sense to pair with Moonlight provided that the A70pro sounds good, lol. TOPPING A70 Pro Fully Balanced Headphone Amplifier – Apos Audio
Between 12 and 17 watts of power (32 ohms & 16 ohms) should due the trick, but I have not listened to the A70pro. I would recommend buying it from a retailer with a good return policy just in case it doesn’t pair well with the Moonlight. If anyone with experience with the A70pro wants to chime in it would be much appreciated! Having another sub $500 option for an amp to power the Moonlight well would be nice.
I can say that the starry night v2 pairs well with my xduo xa-10 and my cayin but sounds better on the xduo as far as the moonlight since it has better sensitivity I would guess it should be fine on the xduo but I want to try it on my hybrid tube amp... ill let you know once I get it which one it pairs better with.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #236 of 434
I can say that the starry night v2 pairs well with my xduo xa-10 and my cayin but sounds better on the xduo as far as the moonlight since it has better sensitivity I would guess it should be fine on the xduo but I want to try it on my hybrid tube amp... ill let you know once I get it which one it pairs better with.
I have the Starry Night v1 and the Moonlight seems to need more juice than the SN (from what I have experienced thus far). Yeah, let me know what you think once you get your pair. In my case I am preferring the Moonlight on my Soloist, and my SN v1 on my Gjallarhorn mono blocks. Different drivers and tuning between the two headphones, so not not a huge surprise. As I have said before I will be getting a hybrid tube amp as well in the new year. I hope you enjoy your pair of Moonlight Headphones. :wink:

Sep 20, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #237 of 434
I spent some time with a D70 + A70 Pro stack and found the two to be a capable setup. I did not try them separately, but note that together they are very clinical.

No SJY cans at the time, but the amp easily drove options from Senn, Hifiman, DCA, and ZMF.

Big positives for the A70 Pro are power output, that gorgeous screen, and the price point. At the end of the day, the sound was too clear for my preference. The sound was beautiful through warmer cans, but was a little too honest through neutral and bright leaning ones.

Sep 20, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #238 of 434
I spent some time with a D70 + A70 Pro stack and found the two to be a capable setup. I did not try them separately, but note that together they are very clinical.

No SJY cans at the time, but the amp easily drove options from Senn, Hifiman, DCA, and ZMF.

Big positives for the A70 Pro are power output, that gorgeous screen, and the price point. At the end of the day, the sound was too clear for my preference. The sound was beautiful through warmer cans, but was a little too honest through neutral and bright leaning ones.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the A70 Pro. So it sounds like it might pair better with an R2R DAC or a Multibit DAC when pairing it with some headphones (similar to most of Topping's lineup). Depending on the person it might fair well.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #239 of 434
Thanks for sharing your experience with the A70 Pro. So it sounds like it might pair better with an R2R DAC or a Multibit DAC when pairing it with some headphones (similar to most of Topping's lineup). Depending on the person it might fair well.
Hi guys, I have a sparkos Aries and although it’s a wonderful amp, it’s only 2,8w-do you think it would power the moonlight? I also have an otc tube from eufonika which I’m unsure of power but it seems to have plenty. It should be ok. Thanks

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #240 of 434
Hi guys, I have a sparkos Aries and although it’s a wonderful amp, it’s only 2,8w-do you think it would power the moonlight? I also have an otc tube from eufonika which I’m unsure of power but it seems to have plenty. It should be ok. Thanks
The sparkos Aries should be able to power Moonlight. Not all watts are created equal, but that unit seems fairly robust. Which headphones do you normally use it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back