SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 27, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #271 of 434
Omg I'm so excited! I just got my new SJY headphones in the mail! They sound amazing! Full bodied, robust, and the fit and finish is amazing! Wood quality is superb. I can't believe these were only $600.

1000023850.jpg
1000023851.jpg

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #273 of 434
I don't know much about that amp specifically however the tubes you use at least in my experience have a huge impact on tone, detail, etc so it's very difficult to say for sure if it would be a good pairing or not. Definitely has enough power I think. What I can tell you is that the tubes I have for my cayin hybrid tube amp don't pair well I might need to look around for something different. You most likely could run them fine with a brunson soloist or something possibly a schitt magni or higher end schitt could work. It probably comes down to preference.
Sorry if I'm not much help
As this would be my first tube amp, any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #276 of 434
Sep 27, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #278 of 434
Omg I'm so excited! I just got my new SJY headphones in the mail! They sound amazing! Full bodied, robust, and the fit and finish is amazing! Wood quality is superb. I can't believe these were only $600.

1000023850.jpg1000023851.jpg
Love the colour!!!!!!!!

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #279 of 434
While you are here, any thoughts on the WA22 2nd gen for Planar headphones?
It's fully balanced, so it should do fine if you have a good dac, power, and cables. I prefer Chord Dacs as I feel like they are fairly neutral and allow me to customize the sound in other areas, such as silver cables for energy or copper for a more laid-back sound. The biggest upgrade I ever did besides Mscaler (and people will fight me on this) was Chord Music XLR cables. They were hideously expensive, but man, did it make everything cleaner/brighter, etc. And I had a set of Cardas Clear XLR before them. Next would have been cleaning up the power, running dedicated lines and Niagra power conditioners.

The reason for me saying al this is that don't expect just the amp to make a total impact. It's all about synergy and what sounds good to you.

From what my ears have heard, the SJY headphones like a lot of power. If you look at their specs (low impedance, 10 ohm) it's easy to see why.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #280 of 434
It's fully balanced, so it should do fine if you have a good dac, power, and cables. I prefer Chord Dacs as I feel like they are fairly neutral and allow me to customize the sound in other areas, such as silver cables for energy or copper for a more laid-back sound. The biggest upgrade I ever did besides Mscaler (and people will fight me on this) was Chord Music XLR cables. They were hideously expensive, but man, did it make everything cleaner/brighter, etc. And I had a set of Cardas Clear XLR before them. Next would have been cleaning up the power, running dedicated lines and Niagra power conditioners.

The reason for me saying al this is that don't expect just the amp to make a total impact. It's all about synergy and what sounds good to you.

From what my ears have heard, the SJY headphones like a lot of power. If you look at their specs (low impedance, 10 ohm) it's easy to see why.
While I have not done much cable swapping etc I do have aftermarket cables for everything usually go with hart but that's my preference. Personally Im somewhat treble sensitive and I find bright headphones very fatiguing. I prefer warmer lush headphones more than anything. Most of my chain helps accentuate or bring out a little more warmth. Same can be said for most of my dacs and amps they are a bit on the warm side.

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #282 of 434
Debating on bitting the bullet and saving up for a higher tier tube amp to drive Moonlight and the rest of my headphone collection. https://headphones.com/products/woo-audio-wa22-2nd-gen?_pos=9&_fid=9b434dbe9&_ss=c
Any thoughts? That amp seems to play well with Planar headphones.

The WA22 does okay with planars. It tends to make the mids fuller, the bass slower, and impact softer. There's also a comparative blurring of instrument separation and woollier, less resolving sound. It's not unpleasant, but I typically avoid using my harder to drive planars, like the LCD-4 and Arya, with the tube amp. A better pairing IMO is a class A amp. A good one will give that fuller warmer sound but without losing resolution and actually increasing the bass impact.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #283 of 434
My Moonlight in Rose Grey arrived yesterday.

Buildquality is decent and they wear absolutely comfortable.
Soundwise i have to listen more, but so far i like them a lot.
1695890214482.png

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #284 of 434

1000023850.jpg1000023851.jpg
Not sure if anyone noticed, but these are Calderas. Not SJY Audio. Posted to show a point, that the designs are too similar.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #285 of 434
Not sure if anyone noticed, but these are Calderas. Not SJY Audio. Posted to show a point, that the designs are too similar.
I noticed it 👮‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back