SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #286 of 434
All designs come from somewhere, even ZMF has probably had inspiration from other models out there also.
And its no denying ZMF has some excellent designs, and as long its not a hard copy I don't see the any problem with using it as inspiration. I admit this is very close.
Not sure if anyone noticed, but these are Calderas. Not SJY Audio. Posted to show a point, that the designs are too similar.

Doubt many believed your joke here :beyersmile:

Anyway I look forward to get my Moonlight, should arrive mid next week. First planar in some years, last ones I had was Audeze LCD 3 and SASHA Tres. Didn't use them more so sold them, kinda regret now. But its fun trying something new, this also seem like the first headphone truly worth trying from Sjy Audio.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #287 of 434
I thought the troll post was exactly that. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I don't think they look overly similar, and, having received my set, there is no way any hobbyist would hold (or wear) the Moonlight and mistake it for a ZMF set. Laypersons would absolutely be confused, but I don't think the consumer that considers all TWS to be "airpods" is the intended audience for these custom 'phones.

With that, some quick thoughts on the Moonlight. Note that these observations do not include the stock cable. I found the stock cable to be thin in sound and immediately replaced it with a Hart Audio cable.

Sound
I find them engaging, but I don't feel they really stand out in any particular way. The sound is very vanilla in the best and worst ways possible. The tuning reminds me of Hifiman - slightly bright and with a decent stage size.

Instrument separation is not as distinct as I prefer, which can sound at odds with the nice staging. Vocals are very pleasant and though high tenor / female vocalists are slightly forward, the highs are not exhausting. Mids and bass are both there. Yep, that's my take, they are just there. Sub bass is audible, but do not expect to feel any heft.

Comfort/Build
My set weighs in at 466g and feels lighter on the head. The headband does an excellent job of spreading this weight. The grills on my set could use a good smoothing/polishing as the cutouts are rough and will snag on fabrics.

Clamping force is non-existent. They do not shift or move during a listening session but they never feel secured to my head. Others have mentioned that the headband could probably be smaller and I concur. I wear a 7 1/2 hat, so my head is considered XL and I have the adjustments set to the smallest setting. Smaller headsizes take note.

Pads are comfy and soft, but I find they run warm. Swapping in a set of ZMF pads (hybrid) helped but I still found the set to be warm while listening. This won't matter as much to some, but I am hypersensitive to ear warmth and I have to take breaks while listening to the Moonlight. I only trialed the ZMF pads on this set, and switched back to the stock ones.

Conclusion
These really have a nice sound to them. Once I replaced the stock cable, I enjoyed an extended listening session. Vocals and clean tones sound especially good. I took several breaks attempting to increase the clamping (to no avail) so the heat was given time to dissipate and was mostly a non issue.

Overall, I think these are a solid offering for the price. Would I buy them again? Yes as my plan was always to buy them to be passed to my youngest son. He actually picked the color for 'me'. He's not an audiophile but these are a huge step up from the ATH-M50x he is currently gaming with. I plan on spending a few more sessions with them before handing them over.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #288 of 434
I managed to break and repair my Moonlight. The 3.5mm cable jacks are only glued and fit into place. My left jack broke free. A few drops of ca adhesive (and cure time) and we were back in business. The textured chassis provides the ideal surface for adhesion.

I'm blaming the failure on my use of aftermarket cables. The Hart Audio cable connectors are more robust than the stock ones which puts extra pressure on the jack during insertion/removal.

While waiting for the ca to cure, I was finally able to increase the clamping force by bending the headstrap. This greatly improved fit and comfort.

Sound seriously improved after a few listening sessions. I think my ears needed a while to adjust. What, at first, seemed bright now sounds light and airy and balanced. Instrument separation resolves clearly. Bass and lower mids are present though sub bass does roll off. My go-to cans are darker/warmer in texture and the presentation of the Moonlight is more open and free. A welcome contrast, but one that took my brain a while to translate.

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #289 of 434
Sjy Audio Moonlight landed. Just some photos for now.

DSCF3675.jpg

1696434496986.png

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #291 of 434
So beautiful. What style connectors does that have?
Double 3.5mm same as Hifiman, I have a headphone cable that is under construction. My friend is just waiting for some parts to arrive. Type 6 litz copper with AECO hardware :beyersmile:

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #292 of 434
Double 3.5mm same as Hifiman, I have a headphone cable that is under construction. My friend is just waiting for some parts to arrive. Type 6 litz copper with AECO hardware :beyersmile:
Ohh that is beautiful. 😻. Show pics when it comes!

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #294 of 434
Interestingly i'm not tired of the Starry Night. I'm having a listening session after i mostly abandoned everything except the Susvara since i got the Envy.
Its more forward upper mids / lower treble are really good for some albums. Female vocals do really shine. Listening to Blues Pills right now and it sounds really really good. This headphone sounds awesome on the Envy.
By the way, the thread should maybe be renamed to include the Moonlight and other SJY products. I think making new threads is not necessary regarding the lower numbers of buyers / people in here.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #295 of 434
Interestingly i'm not tired of the Starry Night. I'm having a listening session after i mostly abandoned everything except the Susvara since i got the Envy.
Its more forward upper mids / lower treble are really good for some albums. Female vocals do really shine. Listening to Blues Pills right now and it sounds really really good. This headphone sounds awesome on the Envy.
By the way, the thread should maybe be renamed to include the Moonlight and other SJY products. I think making new threads is not necessary regarding the lower numbers of buyers / people in here.
I still like my SN v1, and I will most likely hook it up again sometime soon. It is just new toy syndrome (aka Moonlight). Loving Moonlight, but I also really like my SN v1 powered by my speaker amps.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #296 of 434
Peaking my head in here but met Jeffrey at the SoCal CanJam and had a chance to try out both the Umi and the Horizon aka the Flagship.

Umi tuning has since been updated a bit from my understanding but the bass and planar detail is top notch. Horizon are going to be amazing with their bass.

Attachments

• PXL_20231001_175717376.jpg
    PXL_20231001_175717376.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231001_174108179.jpg
    PXL_20231001_174108179.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 12, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #297 of 434
Peaking my head in here but met Jeffrey at the SoCal CanJam and had a chance to try out both the Umi and the Horizon aka the Flagship.

Umi tuning has since been updated a bit from my understanding but the bass and planar detail is top notch. Horizon are going to be amazing with their bass.
Any comparisons you can make about the Horizon against other high end cans? Just to get an idea of where they fall flavor and detail wise. I currently have an Arya Stealth, SN v1 and Moonlight on my desk. So I am considering skipping Umi and waiting on Horizon.

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #298 of 434
Any comparisons you can make about the Horizon against other high end cans? Just to get an idea of where they fall flavor and detail wise. I currently have an Arya Stealth, SN v1 and Moonlight on my desk. So I am considering skipping Umi and waiting on Horizon.

I didn't have the chance to spend as much as I wanted as I didn't want to hog a spot at the Headphones.com booth. But I did spend a bit of time with both Horizon and Umi. Umi felt like the spacious planar that did everything well but made it so that you didn't have to EQ for better bass which was already there.

Edit/update: Umi felt like it does what my Aeon does super, super well just with more natural/fun bass.

Horizon had a more warm signature and the bass reminded me a lot of the Arya Organic or like an Audeze based on impact, air. Still maintained a lot of space, detail, image layering but the bass was close to reaching my JM Audios and was great for an open back. I'm thinking about picking both the Umi and the Horizon up, honestly, at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back