Shure SRH940, a subjective opinion-based analysis subject to scrutiny (Review)
Sep 12, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #46 of 60
Good review.... Persoanlly I found the Shure 840's to be very detailed but overall I just didn't enjoy listening to them very much.... I think they are good for what they are made for, pro monitors.... I swapped them for these denon d2000 and although they are not as accurate or detailed I enjoy them more... I agree that the shures are outstanding for accoustic music and things like that though.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #47 of 60

Quote:
Heya,

Just throwing this out there.

I'd really like to do a side by side comparison of the K701, SRH940 and the HD598. I don't currently have the HD598, as I have the HD580.

Anyone willing to let me burrow their HD598 for a week or so? I'll pay shipping both ways with insurance of course.

Very best,

Wow wanted to know these results so much!! Most of it is the one im aiming now.... Mind if you add some beyers in the comparison too? 
beyersmile.png

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #48 of 60
very long and detailed as your 940, review.
thanks for sharing...however,
id like to ask sir, if you find your can fun and engaging or flat and boring.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #49 of 60

Quote:
very long and detailed as your 940, review.
thanks for sharing...however,
id like to ask sir, if you find your can fun and engaging or flat and boring.

Heya,

Quite fun, engaging and bright for the genres that they're good for (as listed in the review). They're less fun for bassy music, since they are bass lite, mostly lite on the mid-bass, it has sub-bass presence surprisingly, just not a huge footprint of bass, so for EDM, I wouldn't call it fun and engaging. But for acoustic, classical, jazz and indie, it's very engaging with things with instruments and female vocals.

Very best,

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #51 of 60
Can anyone compare/contrast the 940s to Denon D2000? I expect they are almost opposite but just curious.

I'm also interested in a mid-high detail showdown between the 940s and Audio-Technica A900X.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #52 of 60

Quote:
Can anyone compare/contrast the 940s to Denon D2000? I expect they are almost opposite but just curious.

I'm also interested in a mid-high detail showdown between the 940s and Audio-Technica A900X.

If the SRH940 had more impact and presence of bass in general, it would actually be very similar to the D2000. The treble is better on the SRH940 and mids, but it's quite similar in sound stage, and overall sounds quite similar other than the bass department. Treble is a little harsher to me on the D2000, and mids are less forward, compared to SRH940. But again, if you really listen, they're just not that different. Though I'm sure that can/will be argued.

My understanding from a friend with the A900X is that the A900X is basically hands down better than the SRH940 in every way. I'm gonna get one soon to find out.

Very best,

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #53 of 60

Quote:
If the SRH940 had more impact and presence of bass in general, it would actually be very similar to the D2000. The treble is better on the SRH940 and mids, but it's quite similar in sound stage, and overall sounds quite similar other than the bass department. Treble is a little harsher to me on the D2000, and mids are less forward, compared to SRH940. But again, if you really listen, they're just not that different. Though I'm sure that can/will be argued.

My understanding from a friend with the A900X is that the A900X is basically hands down better than the SRH940 in every way. I'm gonna get one soon to find out.

Very best,

I just tend to hear alot that the D2000 makes most music sound good but may not be that accurate or hyper detailed (compared to something like the Shure). But then the D2000 is often modded so I expect a fair amount of variance. I almost always hear how great the bass is but many people seem to think the mids are a bit recessed and the treble rough, so that's why I was curious. I am very curious about the A900X, not many reviews yet. All I recall is that it is supposedly amazingly detailed in the upper range but still have a fun amount of bass.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #56 of 60
 Just like to share with 940 owners that I finished my first Objective 2 amplifier today (O2) and I was trying it with some of my headphones and it worked out good for all of them but let me tell you as soon as I put the SRH-940 on my head (it's been over an hour already) I really like the sound of this combo. One thing for sure is that the bass get a good bost and it's got a good punch. Listening to Porcupine Tree and it just sound amazin IMHO. Cheer 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #57 of 60
Hi,  Mal, 
Great review!

I am a newbie in higher end headphone area, so please excuse my stupidity if there's any.  lol

Currently I own a pair of
dt770 (80ohm)---------------- listening to R&B hip-pop + action Movies
panasonic htf660 ----------- Competitive gaming
esw9a -------------------------- female vocal, jazz
a900x -------------------------- classical music

I'm interested in Ultrasone hfi 2400, pro 900 and srh 940.

Would you please do a quick comparison between hfi2400 and srh 940 in terms of sound quality? 
Is it more of a side-grade than upgrade if I choose pro900 over hfi 2400 (I noticed you had hfi before) ?
I am thinking about selling my esw9a (I really enjoy the "tubed sound" however) and then buy one of the three above. (I see you got rid of your esw9a due to comfort issue, what other factors might contributed to the decision you made?)
I really enjoy listening classical musics from the a900x, very clear and detailed (mids&highs), Should I keep them just for now and compare them with the three above later on?
I got the a900x {used} ridiculously cheap, only cost me $85. My question is would the $000 difference between these a900xs and pro 900/ hfi2400 be justified?

estimated time I would spend on listening music
Jazz (50%)
Classical (20%)
R&B/Hip pop (20%)
Bandari (10%)

Other audio gears I own:
xona DG 5.1 sound card (I would connect the headphone to it while gaming)
sony 5.1 receiver
pair of polk audio tsi300
pair of polk audio m40 as surround sound

Thank you~

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:
I'm interested in Ultrasone hfi 2400, pro 900 and srh 940.

Would you please do a quick comparison between hfi2400 and srh 940 in terms of sound quality? 
Is it more of a side-grade than upgrade if I choose pro900 over hfi 2400 (I noticed you had hfi before) ?
 My question is would the $000 difference between these a900xs and pro 900/ hfi2400 be justified?

Heya,

The HFI2400 is one of the better Ultrasones to me, the treble is less piercing due to being open, the mids are decent, and bass is very warm, it's bassy, but not over the top like the PRO900. The SRH940 has more detail, better mids, brighter in general, but way less bass response in all aspects. Also the SRH940 is built less durable than the HFI2400. The PRO900 over the HFI2400 is not an upgrade or side-grade, just another flavor. I consider the HFI2400 the better headphone to me, but that's because I prefer a balanced sound, and the PRO900 is so unbalanced and wonky with it's mega-mid-bass and mid-hole with super-treble that it's hard to really enjoy music on. The A900X is like the SRH940, but with bass response. I consider the A900X superior to the HFI2400, and vastly better as a complete headphone than the PRO900. I think at this point, if you wanted something open air, I would explore the Hifiman HE-400 and/or Beyer DT880.

Very best,

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #59 of 60
Hey, Mal

Thank you for the information and advises.
I agree with you on a900x being a pair of more enjoyable cans when it comes to sound signature and quality. However, to me, they are not that comfortable. I can wear esw9a for couple hours, but not with a900x. (The 3d wing they have make me want to adjust the position every 20 mins)

Have you every heard of srh1440?  I have read some posts, many users claimed that srh1440s' mid is more forward and clearer comparing to srh940? What about transparency and instrument separation?
I listen to female jazz more than any other genres these days, and based on what I heard, it seems that I might benefit more from a pair of srh1440s than srh940s?
Which one do you think would perform the best in female jazz :  dt880 (250/600 ohms?), dt990, srh1440

Bought a tube amp, qinpu a3, would it be enough to drive high impedance headphones like dt880 600 ohm?

(I like to feel like im sitting at the front row, if this helps~)

Thank you ~!

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Heya,

The HFI2400 is one of the better Ultrasones to me, the treble is less piercing due to being open, the mids are decent, and bass is very warm, it's bassy, but not over the top like the PRO900. The SRH940 has more detail, better mids, brighter in general, but way less bass response in all aspects. Also the SRH940 is built less durable than the HFI2400. The PRO900 over the HFI2400 is not an upgrade or side-grade, just another flavor. I consider the HFI2400 the better headphone to me, but that's because I prefer a balanced sound, and the PRO900 is so unbalanced and wonky with it's mega-mid-bass and mid-hole with super-treble that it's hard to really enjoy music on. The A900X is like the SRH940, but with bass response. I consider the A900X superior to the HFI2400, and vastly better as a complete headphone than the PRO900. I think at this point, if you wanted something open air, I would explore the Hifiman HE-400 and/or Beyer DT880.

Very best,

If you still have the srh940, try this song:

I've been through meets, heard sr009, he500, lcd2, memes like hd600/650 and I own a dozen plus headphones (including hd800 and hd700) and the srh940 "decimates" them all with regards to accuracy and transients. The srh940 drags you right into the position of the mic and gives you insight into every single filter used in the mastering and aberrations/teansients of the recording mic. They do need a good amp that can push a lot of current (else they sound softened). I own the srh1540 instead of 940 coz 940 is fragile but they are technically same with different tuning (srh1540 is a little more contrasty/oversaturated). I often eq my srh1540 to 940 curve when I desire accuracy, especially for songs like the binaural one i linked above.

The bass on srh1540 is extremely potent, very tactile physically rumbles the earpads onto your cheeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back