Shure SRH940, a subjective opinion-based analysis subject to scrutiny (Review)
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #18 of 60

Quote:
I was thinking more Edition 9, but just a wild guess.

Shouldn't be making wild guesses like that... Almost fell into cardiac arrest. :) 

If the SRH940s were anything like the ED9's, minus the bass, people wouldn't be raving so much about them. They DO have ears, I hope...

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Thanks for that - exactly what I wanted to know.  I listened to "Clapton Unplugged" on my Alessandros last night, and it was audio nirvana.  Went back to my 840's afterwards (still getting used to the comfort issues with the MS1i) - and after a couple of minutes I switched back again.  I know I'm now going to be looking for a step up from the 840's.  They're still very enjoyable cans - but suddenly I've become more aware of their short-comings.

I need a closed can to complement my MS1i - so looks like the 940 might be the one to go for.

Probably worth holding out until they get compared in depth to a k701 or dt880 though, they might just wipe the floor with the 940. I'm really interested to see how they stack up.

edit: and these bright. Not Grado or Ultrasone bright, but still.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #21 of 60
Heya,

So I now have both the SRH940 and the AKG K701. I'm comparing them with the same music samples at the same volume to get an idea of what's going on with these two headphones. I'm A-Bing them on several tracks over and over. So far here are my first impressions of the two compared.

And just to note, I own both of these headphones, these are not loaners or anything, so owning one or the other and justifying the purchase is not a bias here. I have them. Done deal. Now it's all about which one does the overall job better.

Primarily focusing on listening to Ani Difranco and Dian Krall here at first.

The SRH940 is more forward in the mids/highs than the K701. I'm finding the K701 to sound more like there's a veil over female vocals compared to the SRH940. And they're both supposed to be great for this, yet I think the SRH940 simply does vocals more justice, they are projected more forward and sound full. I think the problem with the K701 for this is due to it's more artificial spaced out sound stage. Quality is very similar in sound here, but the sound stage makes a big difference. The K701 simply has a huge sound stage, and it's down right artificial sounding and it really pulls me out of the music compared to the SRH940 which puts me right up under the female vocalist like I'm getting a solo. The K701 makes me fee like I'm sitting a few tables away, trying to see over other peoples' heads, if that makes sense.

The SRH940 has more bass, a bass guitar in some Dian Krall has a lot more oumph and presence. Again, I think this is simply due to sound stage and closed/open differences. Overall, I like the SRH940 better in this department too, as I like more bass. Both have neutral natural bass, but the SRH940 is able to give me a punch when it's supposed to be there without hurting the mids/highs. The K701 does well here too, but I feel like the bass rolls off very quickly as well as still having this veil over the mids/highs that is making the female vocal sound too distant and less projected. SRH940 wins in the bass department (as it should, it's closed, so it makes sense).

Instrument separation is great on both. The sound stage on the K701 is superior, it's so superior that it's down right artificial and doesn't sound right to me. It sounds like the music is being spaced out and that you're not up next to the source but instead sitting in the crowd. This might be good for some, but I think it's too unnatural. So a superior sound stage doesn't actually mean a better sound here.

On some piano music, Ludovico Einaudi, both sound wonderful. The SRH940 is more lush here, more full, and very generous with the notes from the piano. The K701 sounds wonderful, however, there's again that veil. I feel like I'm missing out on the energy and harmonics of the piano when I'm wearing the K701 because I'm too far away from the actual piano and in a huge room, so I'm loosing the dynamic. The SRH940 puts me right up next to it, so I get the feel.

Both are very detailed. But so far, the SRH940 really just is the better sound. It's more energetic, the mids and highs are more forward without sibilance and I don't feel like I'm in a fog listening to everything. The K701 feels like there's a fog, something between me and the music, taking away it's brightness and fullness. I think it's probably the artificial sound staging of the K701 being way bigger than it needs to be, and it's detracting from the sound in a negative way (for my tastes at least, others may love this.)

For fun, I just ran some Sabaton (WWII) through both of them to compare. The SRH940 was more energetic, aggressive and forward with the mids. The K701 sounded like there was a cloud between me and the music. The SRH940 hands down is better for metal (not their strong points for either headphone, but I like to mix it up too). I'm also testing with some Buckethead, again, for fun, to see what it can do with some really mid-heavy guitar work. Again, the SRH940 is more energetic, more forward and just sounds better for this stuff. The K701 just makes the sound stage too artificial for me, it's not as in your face.

For more fun, tested some Dub, Rusko - Everyday, it's a great track to show off details, gorgeous mids and some serious bass that is subwhoofer class low end sub-bass. The SRH940 is able to produce that low sub-bass, it's not forward (not like my Pro 900), but it's there and it's full. The mids are forward. It makes you want to dance. The K701 sounds good here, but again, there was less of a rich musical sound to the mids. It sounds more like there's an artificial veil of some kind. The K701 is also able to drop some serious sub bass here. It's also not forward. It's very comparable to the SRH940 here on both of them. I think they both do very well for low end bass. But the overall sound during the track the SRH940 was more enjoyable, it's all about the mids, and the SRH940 has better mids hands down than the K701. The K701 just has a veil or fog about it.

Comfort wise, both are great. I don't see how people complain about the K701, I don't even feel the bumps on top, but then again I don't strap it on tight of pull it down. It just floats on your head. Feels a lot like some AudioTechnicas of similar design. The pads of the K701 are very nice, I like the material of the K701 pad over the SRH940 pad right away, it's velour compared to velvet. Velour is my favorite material for a cup. The K701 has firm foam though, it's not as squishy, but it's still very comfortable. I really like the leather strap and velour of the K701, it's a very sleek and stylish headphone. I honestly think I like the look of the K701 better than the SRH940. It just looks like a nice headphone. Both are comfortable, so I can't fault one or the other in this area. I think the SRH940 is a little more sturdy in construction. I like the look and pads of the K701 better than the SRH940 though. It's a snazzy looking headphone. Obviously this is completely subjective though, some hate the white, I love the white. The headphone is leather, metal and plastic. The SRH940 is all plastic. I like the K701's frame structure and materials a lot more than the SRH940. And it's just as comfortable. I think the K701 feels lighter on my head, though it may simply be positioning.

Overall, the SRH940 is the winner on my journey between these two headphones from my original thread that lead to me buying both of them. It just has a more energetic forward sound that I find superior to the K701 in every application. The K701 sounds laid back to me, artificially large sound stage to the point of fault. It's a fantastic headphone, I'm sure I would be in love with it had I not tried the SRH940. It's a very good headphone. But again, the SRH940 just bests it in sound. If you like the laid back kind of sound of a headphone, the K701 is it between the two. But if you want something with forward mids that really is energetic by comparison, the SRH940 just takes it and runs. Plus the K701 is not a portable headphone at all, it doesn't swivel and can't just lay on your neck. It's also not isolated, so cannot be a great portable. The K701 is strictly a home headphone. The SRH940 is a home headphone and portable. Again, it's just the winner in my book.

That concludes my journey. The K701 is not for me. It will now be looking for a new home, so anyone interested, it will be in the FS forum soon after I do a full review on the K701 for my own pleasure before letting it go to the next owner.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #22 of 60
Some of your impressions of the K701 are the same as mine. Pretty much spot on. I have a love/hate thing with the K701, but they're still a headphone I like a lot. What kills it for me is it's goofy soundstage. After trying the K501 yesterday it just doesn't feel right. I don't know why, but at times the mids on the K702/K701 felt a bit recessed at times. I don't know how this is possible. At least not the upper mids. Maybe it has something to do with the soundstage. Some people say the K702 is great for female vocals, but I don't know about that. They are somewhat, buIt seems to make everything sound as if I'm sitting too far away from everything. The treble is also another reason I sold it. I never got it's treble to smooth out after lots of burn-in.

The K601 and K501 fix the issues with the K702. With the K601 you have more forward sounding mids and the soundstage isn't as huge. The K501's soundstage feels way larger than that of the K702 but at the same time you don't feel as if you're sitting 4-5 rows back. Of course it also depends on the recording. The K501 is even more forward in how it presents music. Loving the K501 right now.

I can see how people can love the K702. It's a good headphone. I always felt if it fit my music preferences more I'd have kept it.

Sounds like you may love the K501 since it seems to fix many of the issues you had with the K702. I've only had my K501 for a day and it's already one of the best headphones I've heard. Same for female vocals too. I'll probably need to compare it to my HD-598, because the K501 might have it beat. K501 does makes the HD-598's soundstage seem tiny. It's even larger than the K702 and maybe the AD700.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #23 of 60
Heya,

I'll keep an eye out for some AKG K501's. I'm interested to see how they stack up to the SRH940.

As it is, I've already got a Hifiman HE-500 on the way next week. It should stomp the SRH940. But... we'll see, technicalities aside, how something sounds and if it's pleasing is the ultimate determiner. I figure that would be a quick test right there. They're not even in the same league at all. I'm going to put it up against something high end and make it a definitive answer for me. So far, the SRH940 has just been the best headphone I've had so far for overall everything.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #25 of 60

Quote:
MalVeauX, sorry for being off-topic, but do you mind telling me what monitors you are using? 

Heya,

No worries hah, they're Acer X233H's (3x) and (1x) S231HL. I have a 5th panel, that I haven't set up yet. I recently switched to portrait mode on all my panels so I had to get a bunch of stands that would let me do it since they don't have natural ability to swivel. They're not special monitors at all. Just 1080p 23" LCD's that I flipped into portrait mode because I like it a lot better for reading and generally just using the web and doing all the stuff I do since I have a ton of stuff running at the same time. I like the Acer S231HL better than my others, it's the newer one I bought, it's so much thinner and has HDMI and has a very small equal bezel and is better for a set of monitors. I'd replace them all, but it would be an expensive way just to change the uniform look, so I haven't done that. It's a little different in color, I find it more `blue' and less warm than my other monitors though which is kind of annoying (you can change it with color options though of course).

I bought a bunch of these LCD arm stands since they were inexpensive and they ended up being perfect for what I was doing. I just have to get one more for my 5th panel so I can set it up and get back to having a centered setup.

Very best,

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 60
Thanks for sharing this! I'm looking into buying two widescreen monitors that are 21" minimum and can flip in portrait mode too. I recently tried dual-monitor and am definitely going to get it because it will help me get a lot more work done quicker.

The food in your picture is making my stomach growl. Time for me to eat dinner! 

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #27 of 60
Heya,

Just throwing this out there.

I'd really like to do a side by side comparison of the K701, SRH940 and the HD598. I don't currently have the HD598, as I have the HD580.

Anyone willing to let me burrow their HD598 for a week or so? I'll pay shipping both ways with insurance of course.

Very best,

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 60

Quote:
As it is, I've already got a Hifiman HE-500 on the way next week.

WOW! I'd love to see a comparison of the HE-500 to the SHR-940 ... as that was also a headphone i was considering before buying the 940.
I also considered just going all out and go straight to the T5p. The T5p was the first highend headphone I heard which got me into this headphone addiction. I thought it was so good at vocals I can still hear it in my head ... will be back to hong kong to try it out again at the end of the year just to compare it to the SHR-940 if it's really 5 times as good.

I also have the DT880 250ohm which I have sold since buying the 940. In comparison to it, the  DT880 just lacks the liveliness or excitment. I think other than the more boomy bass, overall the 940 does everything else way way better especially with vocals/mids.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #29 of 60

Quote:
WOW! I'd love to see a comparison of the HE-500 to the SHR-940 ... as that was also a headphone i was considering before buying the 940.
I also considered just going all out and go straight to the T5p. The T5p was the first highend headphone I heard which got me into this headphone addiction. I thought it was so good at vocals I can still hear it in my head ... will be back to hong kong to try it out again at the end of the year just to compare it to the SHR-940 if it's really 5 times as good.

I also have the DT880 250ohm which I have sold since buying the 940. In comparison to it, the  DT880 just lacks the liveliness or excitment. I think other than the more boomy bass, overall the 940 does everything else way way better especially with vocals/mids.

Hi, i'd be very interested in a HE 500 to SRH 940. I think I'm satisfied (after 7 years) with SRH 940... fingers crossed.  :)

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #30 of 60
I hope to do a 4-way comparo between the K702s + K501 + SRH940s + T1.  I only have the T1s and the K702 right now running out of matrix m-stage.  I am expecting the SRH940s this week and the K501s next week hopefully.  Some may say that the m-stage isn't enough amp for the T1s, but it's all I've got for now. 

As of now the T1s are significantly better than the K702s, but there's no surprise there.  The T1s are clearer, the separation of the instruments is fantastic and the lows are quite nice.  It's funny though, I have heard that the SRH940s are better than the K702s in exactly those categories.   So, I am very interested to see how the T1s and the SRH940s sound head-to-head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back