Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jan 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #496 of 2,282

Quote:

Quote:
By "new flagship," I thought ones like the T1 and HD800s were included.  My mistake.  

They were included. They were initially raved about, then began to suck when the LCD-2 came along, and now the LCD-2 sucks because the LCD-3 has arrived in town. And everything sucks because the Stax 009 exists. For $5000, you can find out if you too agree with a handful of others. If you follow the pattern, the high opinions have gone down but the price has not. So some of the $300-$500 dollar 'phones now sound like they now compete with these failing flagships. And these new Shures will compete with the best for two weeks then gradually become worse than the SRH940, which some hate, so for those folks, gradually become worse than the SRH840. You get the picture.

Too funny not to quote. 
k701smile.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #497 of 2,282

Quote:
Did I miss something? Where was the price announced?

The UK Shure site shows the SRH1840 @ £ 598.80

http://www.shure.co.uk/products/headphones/srh1840

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #498 of 2,282
Also about 4 other countries posted prices, all the equivalent of $900 +- a few dollars.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #499 of 2,282

Quote:

The UK price for the HE300 is £289 and they sell for $249.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #500 of 2,282

Quote:
What?  SRH840 are overhyped, overrated, and hated now?  I just bought a pair off Ebay 30 minutes ago!  Where are these reviews of SRH840 being terrible?  I was quite excited to grab a pair for $120 as I need a closed pair for work.

From dictionary.com..

[size=small]The essential feature of [/size][size=small]irony [/size][size=small] is the indirectpresentation of a contradiction between an action or expressionand the context in which it occurs. In the figure of speech,emphasis is placed on the opposition between the literal andintended meaning of a statement; one thing is said and itsopposite implied, as in the comment, “Beautiful weather, isn't it?”made when it is raining or nasty. Ironic literature exploits, inaddition to the rhetorical figure, such devices as characterdevelopment, situation, and plot to stress the paradoxical natureof reality or the contrast between an ideal and actual condition,set of circumstances, etc., frequently in such a way as to stressthe absurdity present in the contradiction between substance andform. [/size][size=small]Irony [/size][size=small] differs from [/size][size=small]sarcasm [/size][size=small] in greater subtlety and wit. In[/size][size=small]sarcasm [/size][size=small] ridicule or mockery is used harshly, often crudely andcontemptuously, for destructive purposes. It may be used in anindirect manner, and have the form of irony, as in “What a finemusician you turned out to be!” or it may be used in the form of adirect statement, “You couldn't play one piece correctly if you hadtwo assistants.” The distinctive quality of [/size][size=small]sarcasm [/size][size=small] is present inthe spoken word and manifested chiefly by vocal inflection,whereas [/size][size=small]satire [/size][size=small] and [/size][size=small]irony, [/size][size=small] arising originally as literary andrhetorical forms, are exhibited in the organization or structuring ofeither language or literary material. [/size][size=small]Satire [/size][size=small] usually implies the useof irony or sarcasm for censorious or critical purposes and is oftendirected at public figures or institutions, conventional behavior,political situations, etc. [/size]

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #501 of 2,282

Quote:
What?  SRH840 are overhyped, overrated, and hated now?  I just bought a pair off Ebay 30 minutes ago!  Where are these reviews of SRH840 being terrible?  I was quite excited to grab a pair for $120 as I need a closed pair for work.

Does anyone know what facetious means? Ah-Ha! Then "ha-ha-ha-ha".
blink.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #502 of 2,282

Quote:
It's not like Jude is going to write a bad review about them.  I'm not sure what you guys are so excited for. 

Someone posted a comment in response to one of the Head-Fi TV episodes that said...

Quote:
AlbzAbert said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it just me or does jude practically recommend every single set of headphones he comes across?

...to which I responded:  That would suggest that the headphones I discuss in the videos or forums represent every headphone I come across. More headphones and other audio gear come through here than I could ever cover in the videos--*far* more. Different things motivate different people; but what motivates me to step in front of the camera more than anything is sharing my feelings about (and experiences with) products I think sound great, products that excite me.

Anyone who has been to my office and home knows that there is far more gear around than I'm likely ever to be able to review. FAR more.  What I do decide to talk or type about is what I listen to or use that interests me, and/or what I like or am excited about. The things I don't much care for don't usually get used enough for me to have much to say about them.

Quote:

I have grave reservations about them given how the presenter in the YouTube video brought to attention in the FR graph the bass, lower mids, and extended treble while conveniently ignoring that upper mid / lower treble mess.

I've spent far more time with the SRH1840 than the SRH1440, and I did see the Shure graphs you're talking about (the ones shown in Shure's Tokyo presentation).

Measurements vary from measurer to measurer. Other measurements that Shure might produce for other headphones (using their gear and methodology) wouldn't look like Tyll's which don't look like yours which don't look like others I've seen from other manufacturers. Some manufacturers have shared with me their measurements of their products and their measurements of their competitors' products, and they also don't look like each other's, or Tyll's, or yours and probably not Shure's.

In other words, it's hard (for me anyway) to take Shure's measurements, compare them to yours or Tyll's and extrapolate much. There's greater value, of course, in comparing Tyll's to Tyll's (or yours to yours) for various headphones--for me anyway. The measurement instruments may be different from measurer to measurer, as may be the environment and, of course, the methodologies.

That said, the SRH1840 has more treble than neutral, but doesn't sound, to my ears, the way their graphs look (with how graphs look to me being established primarily by HeadRoom's graphs and Tyll's graphs (Tyll also does HeadRoom's graphs).

Quote:
I think Jude just get's a kick out of watching us squirm.  It's been almost a month since the initial post, and we've reached 33 pages filled with, for the most part, meaningless bickering and wild speculation.

Just picture him, sitting in his comfy chair, 1840s on his head, listening to whatever genre the 1840s excel at portraying, hitting F5 on this bloody thread and just cackling......  Cackling the night away.

LOL. No, that's not it at all. There was CanJam @ RMAF, then Tokyo, then the Gift Guide, and all of that combined with the last quarter of the year and the holidays, which is always the busiest time of year for me, at work and at home--and now CES is pretty much here. Around the holiday, I took some much needed time away from computers and the web, to be with my family and friends.

will say more about the SRH1840 (and maybe the SRH1440) before I leave for CES.

Quote:

Expect U.S. pricing to be as follows (accompanied by the existing Shure over-ear line prices for the sake of comparison):

1. $699 for SRH1840
  2. $399 for SRH1440
  3. $299 for SRH940
  4. $199 for SRH840
  5. $99 for SRH440
  6. $59 for SRH240

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #505 of 2,282
Jude:

Thanks for the sneak peak at the prices.  $699 is certainly better than $899. 

Also thanks for comparing the FR graphs and the treble level - I/we/humanity hope that more detailed performance and ergonomic info is coming soon???

Quote:
Expect U.S. pricing to be as follows (accompanied by the existing Shure over-ear line prices for the sake of comparison):

1. $699 for SRH1840
  2. $399 for SRH1440

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #506 of 2,282
Now your cooking with GAS baby! My ears are all the measurement devices I require.....$699.00 for starters with discounts (maybe) added....yup, maybe-maybe!

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #507 of 2,282
  Well Jude, you like the "on-the-go" M-80's. I found them bass heavy, midbass thick and the treble very closed in. Not particularly good for Acoustic Music, but "fun" for instruments that plug into a wall.

I imagine that "flat"-er would be more appealing for me, I don't have to hide from treble artifacts and LOVE the 940!

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #508 of 2,282
Thanks for the update!

Price at $700 in the US is good to hear (for those of us in the US I guess) versus what was looking like $900. I suppose it does make some sense that Shure prices it lower in the US, especially since Shure is a US company. In any case $700 is an interesting price point, and if it sells for less in sales, then this could be very interesting price/performance... but of course this all hinges on the upcoming reviews and its actual... performance :)

Interesting that it's a bit treble leaning - maybe like the SRH940. I must say an improved comfort SRH940 is exactly what I've been looking for for months anyway :)

Can't wait to hear more about these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back