Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Dec 27, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #466 of 2,283

Quote:

I'm aware of the FOTM mentality but the flagships still seem to be well regarded.  Nobody claims the LCD 2 sucks and the T1s and HD 800s are still well regarded.  The more picky consumers will go for STAX but those dynamics are far from the worthless pieces of crap which you make them out to be.  

Not worthless....just highly anticipated then (for the most part) some are initially over-rated. Like when CD came out in late 82 (the vaunted CDP-101). First, I heard everything it did right...and it took a while to hear the early digital flaws. Then the flaws became overwhelming. 

The moral of the story is trust your own ears, garner your own experience and develop your own instincts.

Beagle offered the the proper cynicism of both past actions and future experiences that new folks are bound to face (if they leave their face hanging out here
wink.gif
). It was stark because He wanted to drive the point home. The latest might be greatest...but time will tell all.  

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #470 of 2,283

Quote:

I'm aware of the FOTM mentality but the flagships still seem to be well regarded.  Nobody claims the LCD 2 sucks and the T1s and HD 800s are still well regarded.  The more picky consumers will go for STAX but those dynamics are far from the worthless pieces of crap which you make them out to be.  

There were a few early on that said the LCD2 sucked, but those voices were drowned out. I do feel that people are more circumspect about new products now. A look at the LCD3 thread and you see a wider gamut of opinions than in the past.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #472 of 2,283

Quote:

There were a few early on that said the LCD2 sucked, but those voices were drowned out. I do feel that people are more circumspect about new products now. A look at the LCD3 thread and you see a wider gamut of opinions than in the past.

It's good that the community as a whole is becoming more forthcoming about the flaws of equipment but the flagships like HD 800 and T1 are still very regarded and far from what Beagle described them as.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #473 of 2,283
Whatever, you guys. I want to hear these Shures. Until then, I'll continue to tell everyone that properly EQ'd K171 and K142 are pretty much tops unless you want to pay more for color. Everyone who hears new things in other phones puts these on and hears the same details. Just because they don't stand out to grab your attention doesn't mean they're gone. It just means they're less colored. I heard new things in some awesome Grados, then I went back to the AKGs and they were there to.

I'm hoping the Shures are super good without EQ... like L-series speakers from JBL (+/- 1.5dB from 30Hz - 20kHz, +/-3dB from 20-25). They freak people out and get highly criticized because it dawns on them that they never really wanted to hear reality anyway. Unlike them, I do.

The problem is that most recordings don't care enough about it because the microphones are colored. The effects are colored. The studio monitors are a little colored. When they burn the track, they often clip a little with too much amplitude. How are we supposd to deal with that? Fortunately, hearing adapts. So now that I crushed my own hopes, I still want to hear these Shures.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #474 of 2,283

Quote:
Whatever, you guys. I want to hear these Shures. Until then, I'll continue to tell everyone that properly EQ'd K171 and K142 are pretty much tops unless you want to pay more for color. Everyone who hears new things in other phones puts these on and hears the same details. Just because they don't stand out to grab your attention doesn't mean they're gone. It just means they're less colored. I heard new things in some awesome Grados, then I went back to the AKGs and they were there to.

I'm hoping the Shures are super good without EQ... like L-series speakers from JBL (+/- 1.5dB from 30Hz - 20kHz, +/-3dB from 20-25). They freak people out and get highly criticized because it dawns on them that they never really wanted to hear reality anyway. Unlike them, I do.

The problem is that most recordings don't care enough about it because the microphones are colored. The effects are colored. The studio monitors are a little colored. When they burn the track, they often clip a little with too much amplitude. How are we supposd to deal with that? Fortunately, hearing adapts. So now that I crushed my own hopes, I still want to hear these Shures.

You complain about coloration yet you have to EQ the AKGs?  The T1 and HD 800 are considered relatively neutral and do in fact have more resolution than the AKGs.  If you're uncomfortable accepting that because you refuse to spend the money on them, that's fine.  Just realize that the truth is not quite as you described it.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #476 of 2,283
Harman employee or massive troll?

Quote:

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #478 of 2,283

Quote:
Whatever, you guys. I want to hear these Shures. Until then, I'll continue to tell everyone that properly EQ'd K171 and K142 are pretty much tops unless you want to pay more for color. Everyone who hears new things in other phones puts these on and hears the same details.

So..from my understanding, you are implying that the <$200 closed-back/semi-open-back AKG headphones are the best headphones in the world. Oookay then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back