Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Dec 6, 2011 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,282
(Click on photo to enlarge.)

The headphone world is brimming with activity, with new product releases happening almost daily nowadays. That barrage of headphone releases is filtered by Head-Fi'ers, with only one in many being of real interest to diehard headphone audiophiles. Here's one that'll make it through even the most stringent Head-Fi'er filters: Today, in Japan, Shure introduced two new open-back headphones:

1. The Shure SRH1440
  2. The Shure SRH1840

Shure SRH1440 specifications (below):

Transducer Type: Dynamic, Neodym-Magnet
Driver size: 40 mm
Sensitivity: 101 dB SPL/mW
Impedance: 37 Ω
Max. input power: 1000 mW
Frequency range: 15 Hz - 27 kHz
Net weight (without cable): 343 g
Cable length: 2.1 m
Type of cable: Dual-exit, detachable oxygen-free copper
Plug: Gold-plated 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo mini jack

Shure SRH1840 specifications (below):

Transducer Type: Dynamic, Neodym-Magnet
Driver size: 40 mm
Sensitivity: 96 dB SPL/mW
Impedance: 65 Ω
Max. input power: 1000 mW
Frequency range: 10 Hz - 30 kHz
Net weight (without cable): 268 g
Cable length: 2.1 m
Type of cable: Dual-exit, detachable oxygen-free copper
Plug: Gold-plated 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo mini jack

I've had a Shure SRH1840 prototype here since this past spring, and received a production version of it last week. It is a very impressive headphone, and I'll say more about it later. (It's the middle of the night here right now.)

I haven't heard the Shure SRH1440 yet, but I expect a production version of it to arrive next week.

If I understand correctly, final pricing is still to be determined.

Here are a few more photos we took, with more photos and impressions to be posted later.

(Click on any of the photos below to see a larger version.)​
 ​

​

​

​

UPDATE: Impressions Posted

1. My impressions of the SRH1840 were posted in this thread, and can be found by clicking here.

2. MuppetFace's impressions of the SRH1840 were also posted, and can be found by clicking here and here (the latter link in which he compares it to the Shure SRH940).

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 2,282
Can't wait!

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 2,282
Heya,

Very nice. One sensitive and ready to roll without an amp. One that will likely be best with an amp. Detachable cables. Velour padding. Both look great which is a change for Shure (heh). I absolutely adore closed headphones, but I'm excited to see what Shure can do with an open design.

Count me in for the 1840.

It looks like Beyer meets Sennheiser.

Very best,
basshead.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 2,282
crap, I can never make savings,lol.

1840, me voilà :)

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 2,282
Very interesting. It seems Shure is starting to get a little more interested in design than with their previous efforts. I'm quite impressed overall at how Shure managed to enter the HP world since their first headphones, by having just the right balance between ambition and pragmatism. Very clever company development IMHO.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 2,282
The SRH1840s look so very good indeed, i'm really interested to see how far Shure can get with open headphones, one thing though, that headband looks like something my hair would LOVE to get caught in. 
mad.gif
 Found this:

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 2,282
Oh no, says my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back