Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Apr 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,306 of 2,282

Quote:
Well I guess that is saying something about the Shures if every review looks like it is being payed for, except for Jude and Tyle's who destroyed all interest at the time.

What about Jule & Tyle paid by competitors ?
evil_smiley.gif

Ok, I do not think that seriously... It's just means that their taste do not match what Shure produce, or their taste shouldn't be the reference for everyone.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,307 of 2,282
Yup extrabigmehdi is correct, a negative review from two reviewers doesn't make them the only honest reviewers, if that was the case then all the positive reviews by Tyl and Jude must mean they were paid to write them as "advertisements" simply because they are positive. In fact I have seen people make that claim against both Tyl and Jude when they like something.

The thing to realize is we all hear things differently and even when we try to be impartial our enjoyment or the lack there of will reflect in our reviews.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #1,308 of 2,282

Quote:
What about Jule & Tyle paid by competitors ?
evil_smiley.gif

Ok, I do not think that seriously... It's just means that their taste do not match what Shure produce, or their taste shouldn't be the reference for everyone.

My taste/preference doesn't go well with the Shure SRH940 or Shure SRH1440, that is true. But I'm a big fan of the SRH440, SRH840, and SRH1840, as well as a few of their in-ear monitor models. My tastes and preferences are defined more on a per-model basis than a per-manufacturer basis.

extrabigmehdi, I know you were kidding, but I wanted to address the "paid by competitors" bit. The sponsorships do not have any impact on what I like and what I don't, which is exactly the same as what I post I like and don't like. Stax has never sponsored the site or bought an ad here, yet I've called their SR-009 the best headphone I've ever heard, in a Head-Fi TV episode, and in our first Gift Guide. (In that Gift Guide, I recommend two Shure products; and in the Lifehacker headphone article, I also recommended two Shure headphones. Shure is also not a sponsor, though they have been in the past.) I said I thought the Philips CitiScape Downtown was the best value of the new headphones I heard at CES 2012, and Philips is also not a sponsor (and never has been). The list goes on.

Actually, I just quickly scanned the Gift Guide, starting from the first page, and, of the 21 headphones I included in the guide's "over-ear headphones" category, only seven are made by sponsors.

Admittedly, when I do post about products, I tend to talk more about what I like than what I don't like. If I don't like something, (a) I won't listen to it for long, and (b) something I don't like doesn't motivate me to say much about it when I have the time to post about a product. And, again, what I like (or what I don't) is not in any way impacted by whether it's made by a sponsor or not.

Again, I know you were joking, but I've seen this hinted at (or strongly accused) before, and felt compelled to comment on it.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,311 of 2,282
I think it is good to be vocal about those sort of things Jude
beerchug.gif

Do you have anything more on the SRH1840 for us since you last posted about it?  Impressions?

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,312 of 2,282
I've seen a few comparisons to the k701 around, if it's like that I'm not really interested. Already have the AD900 (which I like more than the k702) and feel these may be a bit too similar. If they're not a 'better AD900' then I don't see the point in auditioning them.

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #1,313 of 2,282
No one can answer that but yourself. I know amazon allows 30 days hassle free returns.
I do not see what there is to lose, personally.
I owned the k702. And while the srh1840 has a similar sonic signature, it is not a foregone conclusion that an akg hater will hate these as well.
They are different in a few ways that are key. And must be heard to decide if those differences make them better or worse to your ears.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,317 of 2,282
MF did some impressions a few pages ago...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583950/shure-srh1840-and-srh1440-unveiled/1110#post_8177695

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,318 of 2,282
Initial impressions:

- Extremely comfortable earpads!! (after trying the NIGHTMARE that was the Audio Technicas A900X, these are heaven!!)
- Similar pressure on top (headband) as the SRH940 (please note though, I'm getting balder everyday!! lol!!)
- Definitely "treble-happy" or "bass-light" (whatever term you like...)
- Even though they lack QUANTITY on the lower region, the sound still sounds kind of "full",... it's a bit weird actually...
Listening to Kaskade - Room for Happiness, it sounds extremely well. Vocals up-front as expected, sound-stage is quite great,
effects are full of life and, again, even though they are bass-lite I love how songs are reproduced.
- Same track on the D5000s, sound way more fuller, more bass quantity and impact, vocals A BIT recessed but not by a lot actually
(yep, the D5000s are still my favorite it seems... :p)
- Same track on the HD600s, less highs, less sharp, similar soundstage, a bit more bass quantity and presence... and to be honest,
I'm liking sound reproduction on the SRH a bit more than the HDs... but just by a hair...

Need to try more genres/music but listening to something like this:

is too sharp for my taste on the SRHs...

Still, So far so good... but just like the SRH940s, it seems these guys will be more suitable for specific genres
(unlike the D5000s/HD600s which I usually enjoy every genre on them...)

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #1,319 of 2,282
Quote:
- Even though they lack QUANTITY on the lower region, the sound still sounds kind of "full",... it's a bit weird actually...

my impression as well.
since the bass is somewhat looser, and decays longer, then it seems to fill out the midrange more than if it were faster / fast decaying.
a good example is the K701.  a headphone with similar quantity of bass.
but one that feels lighter in the bass because of the quick decay and tightness to the presentation...

still enjoying the SRH1840.  and the soundstage seems to be coming together nicely.
certainly among the other flagships in this regard! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,320 of 2,282

Quote:

my impression as well.
since the bass is somewhat looser, and decays longer, then it seems to fill out the midrange more than if it were faster / fast decaying.
a good example is the K701.  a headphone with similar quantity of bass.
but one that feels lighter in the bass because of the quick decay and tightness to the presentation...

still enjoying the SRH1840.  and the soundstage seems to be coming together nicely.
certainly among the other flagships in this regard! 
beerchug.gif

That's a good description of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back