Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Apr 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,322 of 2,274

Quote:
I find the bass of the SRH1840 to be very unique. It has a certain timbre that differentiates it, an almost growling, snarling quality. It may lack impact compared to bassier headphone, but it has presence.

I agree.  Compared to the bass of my DT150's, the 1840's were tighter with a certain texture. They made the Beyers sound a bit boomy in comparison.  Ultimately I returned them because the balance wasn't quite to my liking but it took a lot of A-B ing to finally reach that decision.

I find it weird that these are marketed as 'monitors' for professional use because their bass output seems a bit down on what it would ideally be in a studio setting.  

Both the SRH1440 and SRH1840 succeed in providing a reference sound comparable to near field studio monitors, allowing you to achieve the best possible mix and audio quality

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,324 of 2,274

Quote:
Everything w 'Studio Monitor' stamped on the side of the box is, didn't you know?  

come to think of it a lot of monitor speakers are not full range.  But there are plenty of monitors with a fuller response or with accompanying subs.  But with headphones you cannot add a sub of course.

Maybe someone who does music production could comment.  Would you use the 1840's to achieve 'the best possible mix'?  Surely you'd end up with bass light mixes?

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #1,327 of 2,274

Quote:
Everything w 'Studio Monitor' stamped on the side of the box is, didn't you know?  

actually, concering headphones... it's the other way around:

AKG K240s, K240MKII, Beyerdynamic dt770 (every Beyerdynamic for studios), ATH-M 50s, Shure 940 .etc

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,328 of 2,274
Well normally as a engineer when you get a new monitor you generally get to the know the monitors ins and outs and know where to compensate before you trust them to mixing.  Also checking back and forth through many speakers helps the mix not be affected by what flaws your monitors have.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,329 of 2,274
well, after a couple weeks with the SRH1840, i can now give my endorsement.

it's a really great headphone. 
not earth-shattering, but very capable, especially for the price.

in some ways (not all) it hangs with the T1s and whatnot.
in other ways, it has a few shortcomings.

but, on the whole, it is a really likable headphone.

right now, being used in my work rig, it is a very satisfying listening experience.
sometimes you just hear a setup, and you're afraid to change anything or upset the balance.
well, the SRH1840 has had the distinction of making me feel that way today.

here's the rig i'm using it in:

J River Media Center >  Hiface EVO w/ battery  >  Wyred4Sound DAC2  >  Apex Peak/Volcano  >  SRH1840

beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,330 of 2,274
Interesting that both you and Shahrose use the Apex Peak/ Volcano.   I'm wondering whether that amp might flesh out the sound a bit compared to my solid state amp?

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #1,333 of 2,274
Apr 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,335 of 2,274
Ok the pair I will be reviewing arrived today and I am having an initial listen. I won't go into to much detail at this stage as I want to let these burn in for a a couple of days before getting to serious but here are a few nuggets to start in comparison to the SRH-940.

• The mids of the 1840 are much more neutral, so if you didn't like the forward nature of the 940 you may like the 1840 alot more and vice versa if you liked the forward mids of the 940 you might not enjoy the 1840 as much.
  • The sound stage is definitely bigger than the 940 being more in line with other full-size open headphones.
  • The bass is much more present than the 940 and is definitely richer sounding. I am not sure about which is punchier yet.
  • I definitely feel the 1840 is more balanced than the 940.
  • I prefer the travel case of the 940 more as it holds all the accessories and extras but other than that one thing they are very similar in quality.
  • I like the thinner cable of the 1840 in regards to using it with a portable source. Bothe cables seem to be well built though and I have no skills to tell if the cable is "up to standard" according to hi-fi afficianados.
  • I actually find the 940 more comfortable at this point but let's see how I feel about the 1840 once the earpads soften up a bit. Like the 940 I have the headband of the 1840 more forward and find this potion very comfortable on the top of my head, I also am wearing the headphone much lower on my ears than traditional like the 940.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back