Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #1,247 of 2,283

Quote:
well, i don't need a hundred hours to say that i like these headphones -- a lot. 
biggrin.gif

got mine today, and so far, i'm really impressed. 

They're going to change quite a bit. Initially they were a bit bright and very lean. The bass fills-in, sound becomes warmer and treble smoother. Soundstage also becomes more coherent. I personally stopped noticing any changes after 60-70 hours, but the improvement was greatest in the first 20.

Quote:
What is  the conclusion on tape op review, did they like the bass of srh1840 ?
It's from a  tape op review that I've learned that the srh940  bass could be sensitive to the positioning.

Absolutely true. The position and resultant seal is crucial for bass SPL on the SRH940s. The ergonomics and comfort of the entire design is their Achilles heel IMO, not the sound. The former can (and often does) significantly degrade the latter.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,248 of 2,283
[size=medium]Hope you guys don't mind if I share some early impressions[/size]
[size=medium]Here goes nothin':[/size]

• [size=medium]Yes, this is a headphone with a “somewhat” similar presentation to a K701.  If you didn’t care much for the AKGs, then there’s a pretty good chance this headphone won’t be for you either.[/size]
  • [size=medium]But this headphone is just plain better than the K701 or Q701.  In fact, this might, and I reiterate might, be the best headphone at its price point.  I will confess that I’m quite interested in the $1000 HD700, but this headphone is just splendid sounding for $700.  I am, quite frankly, baffled that others have found these Shures overpriced.  [/size]
  • [size=medium]I am very pleased that some of the elements I really like in the SRH840 are indeed present in the SRH1840 ---  tonal balance aside, of course.  And those elements are the very specific imaging, and a particular way of separating instruments that seems to be unique to Shure headphones.  (And, no, I’m not saying Shures separate instruments better, just differently, to my ears anyway).[/size]
  • [size=medium]The treble is certainly there in spades.  However, so far I must disagree with all reports of there being a harshness to the treble.  On my office rig, the treble is clean, clear, resolving, and well extended.  (Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Apex Peak/Volcano amp)[/size]
  • [size=medium]There is bass.  Not abundant bass, no.  But enough to propel the music forward.  More importantly, my concerns about the lightness of bass are assuaged, as the overall sound of the SRH1840 is sufficiently warm.  Vocals and midrange instruments have body and weight.  The presentation here is not thin.[/size]
  • [size=medium]It’s a bit early to say for sure, but I think the detail level is also quite good for $700.  Coming quite close to the more expensive flagships out there (T1, for example).[/size]
  • [size=medium]There is something else about this headphone that is altogether more difficult to describe.  And, not being as fluent in audiophillia as others, I am remiss to try too much to explain it.  However, my ears tell me that the headphone is quite musical.[/size]
  • [size=medium]The comfort is just superb.  The headphone is light, and just supremely comfortable to me.  Among all the headphones I own, it ranks at or near the top, along with the HD800.[/size]
  • [size=medium]The build quality is very nice.  Materials are light and nimble, yet just rigid enough to inspire confidence.  [/size]

[size=medium]Very well done, Shure![/size]

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #1,249 of 2,283
@TheWuss

Thanks for your impressions!
They are definitely welcomed (since we don't want to start debating SRH 940s again! LOL!! :wink:)

Just wondering though, is your DAC/AMP combo pretty neutral?
Or do they accentuate any region most? Are they warm, analytic, cold?
I haven't had any experience with those which is why I ask.
I use a Nuforce Icon HDP DAC/Amp and it is pretty bright (to my ears) so it pairs
awesomely with my HD600s... but with my SRH940 I don't like it as much...

Now I'm just wondering if I should get a better amp at least....

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,250 of 2,283
my office rig is reasonably neutral.  but tends toward a brighter presentation.  and that is the peak/volcano's sound signature, mostly.

yes, i owned the nuforce amp for a few days.
it was too bright for my tastes.  i can't imagine it would pair well with some headphones out there. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,251 of 2,283
If it's like the 840 I know I won't like it. The 840 was junk.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,253 of 2,283
Seems lot of people regret buying the srh840 according to a thread.
I've been counting the "number of regrets" on this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/472745/headphones-you-regretted-buying-the-most/945#post_8233521

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,254 of 2,283
Yet, you own 5 headphones I do like, the PortaPro, HD800, HE-6, LCD2, and HD650 as well as 4 amps I like, the MKVI+, Liquid Fire, Darkstar, and Peak/Volcano. I'd be willing to give them another go on another rig. The rig I heard them on wasn't exactly stellar.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,255 of 2,283

Quote:
[size=medium]Hope you guys don't mind if I share some early impressions[/size]
[size=medium]Here goes nothin':[/size]

Hey Wuss, how much burn-in time did you give them? They kind of change from a bright/lean to a smooth/warm presentation over time.

Quote:
Yet, you own 5 headphones I do like, the PortaPro, HD800, HE-6, LCD2, and HD650 as well as 4 amps I like, the MKVI+, Liquid Fire, Darkstar, and Peak/Volcano. I'd be willing to give them another go on another rig. The rig I heard them on wasn't exactly stellar.

FWIW, I don't really like the SRH840 either. Sure, for the $100 or so price you can pick them up for, they're great. But, they can't compete with the 940 or 1840 IMO.

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,257 of 2,283

Quote:
Funny when you compare to  people that liked the srh840, and not the srh940 . Tyle in particular didn't  like the srh940.

FWIW, neither did I and Jude is on the record for not being a fan either of the 940s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back