Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Mar 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,263 of 2,283
Yeah but I can still prefer one to the other, geeze. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,264 of 2,283

Quote:
my office rig is reasonably neutral.  but tends toward a brighter presentation.  and that is the peak/volcano's sound signature, mostly.

yes, i owned the nuforce amp for a few days.
it was too bright for my tastes.  i can't imagine it would pair well with some headphones out there. 
biggrin.gif

Yep... I quickly noticed it! LOL!

So which of your setup do you think works the best for these Shure's and or bright headphones in general?

Thanks.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #1,265 of 2,283

Quote:
I need to hear them so I can join one camp or the other. 

No you don't, you know your mind is already made up.  Otherwise, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what you think.  
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #1,266 of 2,283
My mind isn't made up, I just have a strong suspicion as to how they will sound.  But when I listen to headphones, I'm always completely open minded about them.  I liked the W3000anv much more than I thought I would and said so in the thread. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,267 of 2,283

Quote:
My mind isn't made up, I just have a strong suspicion as to how they will sound.  But when I listen to headphones, I'm always completely open minded about them.  I liked the W3000anv much more than I thought I would and said so in the thread. 

Oh I think the W3000 makes more sense for you than the 940 or 1840, not surprising.  "Bass is present enough to propel the music."  Hehe, RD.  
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,269 of 2,283

Quote:
I didn't say that...

No you didn't, everyone else did.  Sort of...

Besides, I can't think of any Shure that would give you the low end you like irrespective of what's going on up in the treble.  Maybe, something just less than a 750DJ and more than am 840.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #1,270 of 2,283
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I like tons of bass.  I think the M50 has too much, and the HD800 clearly has too little.  I like it balanced with the rest of the spectrum.  The W3000anv has too little lower bass, but it isn't bothersome, it's only troubling when you listen with something you know and realize "hey there's supposed to be more notes down there".  I havne't heard the 840 recently or for long enough to say more than that I thought they were pretty good.  Not sure about the bass...

Anyways, OTx10

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #1,271 of 2,283
I'm not sure what exactly is going here... but here's a little suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/digiZoid-zo-2-ZO-2/dp/B00747N5ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332918669&sr=8-1

Whether one's a bass lover or not.. this little monster is small, but POWERFUL. 

I've hooked up my Shure 440's to it and played some electronic Dance track. This little amp has about 20+ settings and 2 or 3 different EQ settings for each... which makes it about 40+ presets..
And trust me, I went all the way up in terms of bass.  And the shures... well let's just say that they didn't sound like Shure SRH440's anymore, rather some Hybrid of 440's clarity and precision with Sony MDRXB1000's Bass signature.  It was unreal..  And the best part, no distortion what's or ever.  And I think it holds its own as far as 300ohm of impedance headphones.

Just in case someone wants his Neutral Analytical sound Sig with MegaBass without compromising the spectrum... there ya go..

As for the 840's, bassier than the 440's and extend slightly better in the lower sub-bass FR. Not as neutral though. 440's are regarded as the most balanced of the SRH lineup (less the new ones). 
And the HD800 don't have too little bass, they're simply geared for different music Genre's. They're definitely not Neutral Sounding headphone. However they are natural sounding, very laid back, power hungry and very very spacious. I can't see them doing justice to Metal, Rock, Alternative or anything grungy that has that in your face forward sound. And don't even think of putting Pop or any Electronic or remotely electronic based music, including Rap/HipHop or R&B. Oldies, Blues, Jazz, Soft Acoustics and Soft music and Classical... that's where the HD800 belong. And yes, properly amped, they will do better for these types of music than any other headphone that I have heard.   Though I will say that the SRH940 weren't too far behind... which is saying a LOT about a $300 pinned against a $1500 monster.  

Peace
L3000.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,272 of 2,283
Mar 28, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #1,273 of 2,283

Quote:
[size=medium]Hope you guys don't mind if I share some early impressions[/size]
[size=medium]Here goes nothin':[/size]

There is something else about this headphone that is altogether more difficult to describe.  And, not being as fluent in audiophillia as others, I am remiss to try too much to explain it.  However, my ears tell me that the headphone is quite musical.

[size=medium]Very well done, Shure![/size]

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Wuss.

I find your 7th point intriguing. Upon first listening I similarly felt at a loss to describe the subtle charm of the SRH1840, though now I'm inclined to identify the effect as the simultaneous combination of their involving detail level, yet overall laid-back presentation. There's a tendency to view "analytic" and "musical" as diametrically opposed, but I think plentiful detail can in fact contribute to a sense of immersive musicality provided the overall balance and presentation is right for certain individuals.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #1,274 of 2,283
I guess mine have been burning in for around 70 hrs.  Unfortunately, they are too bass-light for me.  Sure, they go deep but there isn't enough of it.  The upper-mid is possibly emphasised a bit too much as well.  Shame because they are super-comfortable and are great in other areas of performance.

I prefer the bass of my Beyer DT150.

All this is with an Eximus DP1 dac/amp.

Will carry on burning till the end of the week but they may be going back to Germany 
redface.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,275 of 2,283

Quote:
I guess mine have been burning in for around 70 hrs.  Unfortunately, they are too bass-light for me.  Sure, they go deep but there isn't enough of it.  The upper-mid is possibly emphasised a bit too much as well.  Shame because they are super-comfortable and are great in other areas of performance.

I prefer the bass of my Beyer DT150.

All this is with an Eximus DP1 dac/amp.

Will carry on burning till the end of the week but they may be going back to Germany 
redface.gif

Or you could send them to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back