Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #2,266 of 2,282
I owned these early in my journey only to find a offer I couldn't turn down, now they have a long list of headphones I've owned that are a higher tier, my main one being my Susvara, yet here I am in my 2nd system, truly enjoying these 1840's. They habe a very clear midrange and when paired with a warm amp like my thr1 they are really something with how they image. Don't think I'll let these go again even after all these years

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,267 of 2,282
Are you shure you clicked well, otherwise no issue is possible.
It seems to be a bad cable. There was a constant crackle in the left channel whenever anything was playing (nothing when it was silent, so it took a while to notice). Then, the randomly cutting out if I slightly moved my head or touched the cable (but not if I headbanged, somehow?).

Anyway, I forgot there was a second cable included in the case. I swapped and haven't had any problems since, thankfully. I'm still planning on getting a cable from LQi, but at least it's not necessary to have right now. Love these 'phones.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #2,268 of 2,282
I've been trying to find any other pads made specifically for the 1840 and it's been surprisingly difficult. Dekoni had some leather ones that are out of production and impossible to find. I stumbled upon this eBay listing, bought them, and they arrived yesterday. I finally tried them out a little while ago and, to be blunt: they're awful.

Bass is increased substantially, but it's not good bass. There isn't much texture or detail. On top of that, the entire stage collapsed. Everything feels very closed in. Mids are congested and compressed, and cymbals turn into a kind of faint, distant mess of static and highs in general don't have much detail or sparkle at all. They're very laid back and background sounds, across the spectrum. So many little synth, percussion, or other layers in NIN songs were almost inaudible with those pads on. They reminded me of listening to the HD6XX through a crappy, low-end DS DAC with that kind of glare over everything.

I didn't last even 10 minutes with those pads on. Changing back to the stock velour pads, the sound was definitely thinner due to the dramatic reduction in bass, but the stage was instantly wider, and everything sounded more alive and lifelike. Pretty disappointing, but at least they were only $25. I wasn't a fan of any of my ZMF pads (Ori suede, leather; Universe suede, leather; Auteur leather; Eikon leather) using the Dekoni attenuator discs for Fostex pads either. I guess I'll just find a way to be happy with the stock velour pads and stop wondering about what could've been.

May 31, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #2,270 of 2,282
Hello

I am curious, can anyone recommend cans that are like the SRH1440? Its difficult to beat the detail that they give, but stage could be larger, bass better, and comfort more, along with a few other things. This said, I dont know what comes close to beating them as I keep hearing that these are one of the few headphones where you have to spend 1000+ with to get better sound. Suggestions?

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #2,271 of 2,282
Hello

I am curious, can anyone recommend cans that are like the SRH1440? Its difficult to beat the detail that they give, but stage could be larger, bass better, and comfort more, along with a few other things. This said, I dont know what comes close to beating them as I keep hearing that these are one of the few headphones where you have to spend 1000+ with to get better sound. Suggestions?
only from what you write: large stage, good for competitive fps games, more comfort, light weight, bass is there, but not ultimately heavy or super punchy - sennheiser hd560s, plus: cheaper.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #2,273 of 2,282
Better imaging, soundstage, refinment, seperation and sound quality. More etheral and kind of thin sound. Sound concept is different. Feeling style sound rather than touching. Ear fatigue free and nice with gaming.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #2,275 of 2,282
So... It's April 2024, and I have just purchased my second pair of Shure SRH1840's. About 6 years ago exactly, I started looking for my first pair of "hi-fi" headphones. I spent the better part of my 20s and 30s and even into my early 40s using Sony MDR-V6's or MDR-7506's almost exclusively.

Well, I purchased the SRH1840's in 2018 and quickly returned them after having a little buyers' remorse. There was nothing wrong with them. No, what happened is that I did what I typically do when I get a new piece of a/v or computer gear – I read reviews. And, unfortunately, when I read some reviews there was a lot of mention of THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). Not knowing much about this or what it meant to my average listening experience, it frankly kind of spooked me.

Since 2018, I have had probably over a dozen pairs of headphones. Including the Sennheiser HD 600, 650, 660S, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, 880 Pro, 990 Pro, 1770 Pro, 1990 Pro, the Audeze LCD-1, AKG K702, K712 Pro and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

And, after all that, I couldn't stop thinking about the SHR1840. There was something about the looks, the lightness of being and (most importantly) the sound that kept me intrigued after all this time. So, I purchased another pair recently and have been driving them (as I do with all of my headphones in recent years) off of the Apogee Duet 3. Well, I don't claim to be a headphone aficionado or an audiophile. I am, however, someone that desires the most neutral and "un-colored" sound I can get out of a pair of headphones. I want to experience the music as it was mastered from the source as I procure specific pressings of CDs and SACDs for just that reason. I feel like, after trying all the "mid-fi" phones I have over the years, the SRH1840 is just that. The most neutral and "un-colored" headphones I have yet tried.

In a review or two online that I have read, the word "ethereal" was used to describe their sound. I think that might be the best adjective to describe them.

And the THD that is so often mentioned as a detriment? I've yet to experience it, that I can tell. In one YouTube review, the fellow was clearly into EDM (I'm most certainly not) and he had a visceral reaction to the SRH1840's, saying that the THD was immediately audible to him. Most of the music I listen to is classified as Pop/Rock/R&B/Mainstream Jazz from about 1955 to 1995. Not a lot of "bass heavy" music there, admittedly. However, perhaps I just don't know what to listen for, or maybe I just simply cannot hear it as I am near 50 years old.

I'm happy I decided to go back to the beginning of my headphone "journey" and get my first love back. This time, I don't think I shall part with them. In fact, they are now my daily driver.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #2,276 of 2,282
So... It's April 2024, and I have just purchased my second pair of Shure SRH1840's. About 6 years ago exactly, I started looking for my first pair of "hi-fi" headphones. I spent the better part of my 20s and 30s and even into my early 40s using Sony MDR-V6's or MDR-7506's almost exclusively.

Well, I purchased the SRH1840's in 2018 and quickly returned them after having a little buyers' remorse. There was nothing wrong with them. No, what happened is that I did what I typically do when I get a new piece of a/v or computer gear – I read reviews. And, unfortunately, when I read some reviews there was a lot of mention of THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). Not knowing much about this or what it meant to my average listening experience, it frankly kind of spooked me.

Since 2018, I have had probably over a dozen pairs of headphones. Including the Sennheiser HD 600, 650, 660S, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, 880 Pro, 990 Pro, 1770 Pro, 1990 Pro, the Audeze LCD-1, AKG K702, K712 Pro and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

And, after all that, I couldn't stop thinking about the SHR1840. There was something about the looks, the lightness of being and (most importantly) the sound that kept me intrigued after all this time. So, I purchased another pair recently and have been driving them (as I do with all of my headphones in recent years) off of the Apogee Duet 3. Well, I don't claim to be a headphone aficionado or an audiophile. I am, however, someone that desires the most neutral and "un-colored" sound I can get out of a pair of headphones. I want to experience the music as it was mastered from the source as I procure specific pressings of CDs and SACDs for just that reason. I feel like, after trying all the "mid-fi" phones I have over the years, the SRH1840 is just that. The most neutral and "un-colored" headphones I have yet tried.

In a review or two online that I have read, the word "ethereal" was used to describe their sound. I think that might be the best adjective to describe them.

And the THD that is so often mentioned as a detriment? I've yet to experience it, that I can tell. In one YouTube review, the fellow was clearly into EDM (I'm most certainly not) and he had a visceral reaction to the SRH1840's, saying that the THD was immediately audible to him. Most of the music I listen to is classified as Pop/Rock/R&B/Mainstream Jazz from about 1955 to 1995. Not a lot of "bass heavy" music there, admittedly. However, perhaps I just don't know what to listen for, or maybe I just simply cannot hear it as I am near 50 years old.

I'm happy I decided to go back to the beginning of my headphone "journey" and get my first love back. This time, I don't think I shall part with them. In fact, they are now my daily driver.
Glad your happy, I have had the SRH1440 for over a decade now, and my only complaint is the headband does not go well with my head shape, but I made a custom band, so its good now. From all that I heard, the 1840 wasnt far off from the 1440, and both can be modded a little to sound like each other, which is what I did in the end by taking off the steel mesh at the back of the 1440 driver and modified the to have the cans be at an angle to my ears like sennheisers. Ya they are very hard to beat for what they are, but few seem to take notice of them. From what I heard though, you have to spend something in the range of 1000+ to get cans that will actually start to beat out the 1440/1840, but I havent tried those since spending that much isnt particularly high on my priority. This said, if anyone is aware of a particular cans that will outdo the 1440 for the price, I would be curious.

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #2,277 of 2,282
I've been trying to find any other pads made specifically for the 1840 and it's been surprisingly difficult. Dekoni had some leather ones that are out of production and impossible to find. I stumbled upon this eBay listing, bought them, and they arrived yesterday. I finally tried them out a little while ago and, to be blunt: they're awful.

Bass is increased substantially, but it's not good bass. There isn't much texture or detail. On top of that, the entire stage collapsed. Everything feels very closed in. Mids are congested and compressed, and cymbals turn into a kind of faint, distant mess of static and highs in general don't have much detail or sparkle at all. They're very laid back and background sounds, across the spectrum. So many little synth, percussion, or other layers in NIN songs were almost inaudible with those pads on. They reminded me of listening to the HD6XX through a crappy, low-end DS DAC with that kind of glare over everything.

I didn't last even 10 minutes with those pads on. Changing back to the stock velour pads, the sound was definitely thinner due to the dramatic reduction in bass, but the stage was instantly wider, and everything sounded more alive and lifelike. Pretty disappointing, but at least they were only $25. I wasn't a fan of any of my ZMF pads (Ori suede, leather; Universe suede, leather; Auteur leather; Eikon leather) using the Dekoni attenuator discs for Fostex pads either. I guess I'll just find a way to be happy with the stock velour pads and stop wondering about what could've been.
I think you can try making new pads using foam rubber and damping plastic (if any) from the old original pads. I did this with Denon and got the original sound

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #2,278 of 2,282
I donno, maybe Im missing something here. Sure the subbass is recessed yet noticably wet sounding like those home thetre subwoofers but thats like under 40hz and honestly not that much of note lives there. Personally I find the SRH1840 a very fun headphone for electronic generes like psytrance, heavy industrial and hard style.

Damn slam and general physicality of the headphone is quite something. Interestingly I find that class D or THX based amps work best in showcasing how well controlled the driver actually is. Sure there are good class A/AB amps but those come at quite the premium.

@LincolnNE I would say the Fiio FT3 350ohm with the perf lether pads if anyone is willing to let go of theirs.Hmmm looks like Ali still have some left.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back