Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #11,042 of 22,946
Nice to see another Hotline Miami fan here, by the way. :)

Though the bass is faster, dryer and more precise than with over-ears, you won't "feel" it as much as with for example an Audez'e LCD-X (or propably the LCD-2 which I haven't heard though).

May 4, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #11,043 of 22,946
I've had quite a few bass oriented IEMS, none have the slam of my headphones though (th900). Difference to me is huge, almost to the point that I no longer truly enjoy my IEMS.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. The headphone with the most striking «bass slam» I own is the Grado PS1 (which I never use, though). But the slam is in fact an exaggerated 100 Hz region with resonant characteristic and prolonged decay. It doesn't sound natural.

They have got a very nice, deep, dry and precise bass slam. In general, good BA transducers are able to create a faster and more precise bass than over-ears.

I agree with this. Save for my (modified) HD 800, which has a (perceivedly) similarly precise and textured bass. But maybe there are dynamic headphones which additionally deliver some kind of «visceral impact» in the form of sensible vibration on the ears, particularly closed designs, which would increase the perception of «slam».

May 4, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #11,044 of 22,946
i have a question not related to the shure, but i thought i ask here, so i have cd by a band called clan of xymox, and i was watching the movie girl with a dragon tatoo and in the movie the song from clan of xymox album was played, and it sounded so dam good, so after the movie i went and grabbed my album and played it on the same system as my tv and computer are connected to my home audio speakers, i felt there is big difference in quality between the song version in the movie and the album version i have

and i noticed this many times when songs in movies get played compared to the same songs i have on albums why is that?

May 4, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #11,046 of 22,946
  i have a question not related to the shure, but i thought i ask here, so i have cd by a band called clan of xymox, and i was watching the movie girl with a dragon tatoo and in the movie the song from clan of xymox album was played, and it sounded so dam good, so after the movie i went and grabbed my album and played it on the same system as my tv and computer are connected to my home audio speakers, i felt there is big difference in quality between the song version in the movie and the album version i have

and i noticed this many times when songs in movies get played compared to the same songs i have on albums why is that?

Which one sounded better to you?  I'm guessing the movie version but you didn't say explicitly :wink:  And to be clear, you watched the movie at home on your TV using the exact same audio equipment you used to play the album version?  

There are a number of possibilities why the versions sound different but the most likely is that the movie used a different mix than what was used for the album.  I did see the movie about a year ago (we're talking about the US version?) but can't recall the song.  So guessing randomly, I would assume they boosted the bass for playback in a theater so it would have more impact, and withstand the audio dampening of a theater full of people.

May 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #11,047 of 22,946
  Which one sounded better to you?  I'm guessing the movie version but you didn't say explicitly :wink:  And to be clear, you watched the movie at home on your TV using the exact same audio equipment you used to play the album version?  

There are a number of possibilities why the versions sound different but the most likely is that the movie used a different mix than what was used for the album.  I did see the movie about a year ago (we're talking about the US version?) but can't recall the song.  So guessing randomly, I would assume they boosted the bass for playback in a theater so it would have more impact, and withstand the audio dampening of a theater full of people.

yes the movie version sounded so great compared to my album cd version, both played on the same speakers and home system

i did not hear it as a different mix, it just so dam better than my cd version

this happened many times, the thing i am not referring to listening to the song in the movie theater i am referring to comparing the same song in the movie played in home on the same audio system with my cd version

May 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #11,048 of 22,946
@JaZZ- From what I've heard, they don't come close and IMO IEMS that have more bass sound less real to me than the bass of the Th900. Just my humble opinion.

@hykhleif- I noticed that as well with movies as well.

i am sure clan of xymox has only the versions i have, and i tried all versions and still the movie version was much better

clan of xymox is a gothic synth band not very well known, as much as i love their albums but their recordings quality sucks, so i was surprised to hear that song played in the movie so well

May 4, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #11,049 of 22,946
  yes the movie version sounded so great compared to my album cd version, both played on the same speakers and home system

this happened many times, the thing i am not referring to listening to the song in the movie theater i am referring to comparing the same song in the movie played in home on the same audio system with my cd version

Well if it sounds different, there are two possibilities: 1) it is different, meaning the mix/master is different (otherwise, it wouldn't be different 
wink.gif
).  I suppose I said "mix" in my previous post when "master" would have been more on point--different sonic balance, not different instrumentation or arrangement etc.  The alternative to that is 2) the audio data isn't different, but there is some subtle psychological effect at play where you experience the music as better while hearing it as part of a movie, but that doesn't seem likely in this case since you're just watching credits roll by.

While watching a movie at home, you are of course not surrounded by 100-200 other people, but my theory is that the master for the movie soundtrack would have been optimized or tweaked for theater and audience acoustics, and thus different from the one used on the album.  It's possible, as you mentioned, that their album masters are dynamically compressed for "loudness" but the movie used a better master.

May 4, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #11,050 of 22,946
I've had quite a few bass oriented IEMS, none have the slam of my headphones though (th900). Difference to me is huge, almost to the point that I no longer truly enjoy my IEMS.

I have both the SE846 and the TH900, and I concur. And really, for me, as good as the SE846 is with regard to bass, the TH900 is most certainly better. But even then, the TH900 is no match for the visceral bass from good subwoofers and full range speakers.

May 4, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #11,051 of 22,946

Typically for a movie track the audio is dynamically compressed so the difference between loud and quiet passages are reduced. This is appropriate for movies but there is far less nuance and fidelity on these tracks than the audio only version. It seems to sound better because everything is thrown at the listener at a louder volume level, but has less dynamic range.

May 4, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #11,052 of 22,946
I have both the SE846 and the TH900, and I concur. And really, for me, as good as the SE846 is with regard to bass, the TH900 is most certainly better. But even then, the TH900 is no match for the visceral bass from good subwoofers and full range speakers.

Been a while since I've enjoyed my home speaker setup, but very true from what I remember. It's been a few years... Left my setup in my house in NY, while I enjoy this Florida heat...

May 4, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #11,053 of 22,946

I have found this to be true so many times. And what I really hate is when the movie version is different and is not available in any other form. I really, really, really hate wanting a copy but it is not available.

May 5, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #11,054 of 22,946
Good lord!! These are the best headphones I've ever heard. Wow! Don't know if I can keep em, don't know if i can send them back. Why are all the best iems either over ear or ciem? 

By the way, the bass on these are unmatched. If the sennheiser ie800 has similar bass, then I don't mind saving a few bucks to opt for a wear down cable iem (my preference).

May 5, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #11,055 of 22,946
By the way, the bass on these are unmatched. If the sennheiser ie800 has similar bass, then I don't mind saving a few bucks to opt for a wear down cable iem (my preference).

The Senns' have got a bit more bass, especially in the fundamental tone area. Additionally, they have more or less recessed mids and obviously raised upper highsm therefore you could definitely say that the Senns have got a v-shaped sound signature.

Quality-wise, the Shure's bass is more precise and dryer than the Senn's bass. 

Propably you will get used to that cable which is worn over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back