Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #11,056 of 22,954

I have found this to be true so many times. And what I really hate is when the movie version is different and is not available in any other form. I really, really, really hate wanting a copy but it is not available.

Some of these home releases have a track of a song on the disc or an extra-features disc in the box.  One could rip the soundtrack from the disc(s) with a program like DVDAudioExtractor.  I do that for all DVDs since I don't need the video; and listen to them on my lovely SE-846s.
Back on topic?

May 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #11,057 of 22,954
By the way, the bass on these are unmatched. If the sennheiser ie800 has similar bass, then I don't mind saving a few bucks to opt for a wear down cable iem (my preference).

The Senns' have got a bit more bass, especially in the fundamental tone area. Additionally, they have more or less recessed mids and obviously raised upper highsm therefore you could definitely say that the Senns have got a v-shaped sound signature.

Quality-wise, the Shure's bass is more precise and dryer than the Senn's bass. 

Propably you will get used to that cable which is worn over the ear.

Id only like over ear from now on. Cable upgrade option paramount. Thats just me thou

May 5, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #11,058 of 22,954
Typically for a movie track the audio is dynamically compressed so the difference between loud and quiet passages are reduced. This is appropriate for movies but there is far less nuance and fidelity on these tracks than the audio only version. It seems to sound better because everything is thrown at the listener at a louder volume level, but has less dynamic range.

According to my ears, the audio in movies is of higher quality. The HD800 sounds wonderful with blu ray movies. Now take your average pop song and it doesn't sound as good. 

May 6, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #11,060 of 22,954
I'm kind of torn on whether or not to seek a replacement for my 846's. 

I'm having what seems like is the creaking people were describing a while back, but haven't discussed in a while, in my right monitor. The left doesn't really produce a creaking sound, but I can feel a little bit of give. 

Is there anyone who has had creaking in theirs for quite a while, but they have just considered it not an issue, and it hasn't become one? It doesn't seem like sound quality is affected once it's in my ears, but I get some creaking while putting them in, and just an occasional singular kind of metallic clink if I reposition the monitor. (I'm pretty sure the creaking is just those metallic clinks in rapid succession making it sound like one creak. So slight adjustments cause only one or two of those clinking sounds instead of a whole creak. At least that's how mine sound to me)

I guess the question I'm asking, in essence, is that is this just a thing that happens to the 846's, it doesn't affect sound quality, and I should just live with it because it's not a big deal? Or should I seek a replacement? I sure would hate to part with these! Any comments are much appreciated!

P.S. I'm about 99% sure it's not something I'm doing wrong. I have quadruple checked the nozzles are all seated correctly, and the nozzle covering ring (that part that screws on) is flush, and isn't going to get any tighter. I feel like once I get my sensaphonics it might remedy this issue since they cover much more of the IEM and I assume will require less force to put them in than my current triple flange sleeves which take quite a bit of manipulation and force to insert. I'll let you guys know when I get those. 

I had this same problem a couple of Months back after receiving my new 846's. Sent them in. Got Right Earoiece replaced. Got them back in less than a week. Best Service.

May 6, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #11,061 of 22,954

I'm having what seems like is the creaking people were describing a while back, but haven't discussed in a while, in my right monitor. The left doesn't really produce a creaking sound, but I can feel a little bit of give. 

Is there anyone who has had creaking in theirs for quite a while, but they have just considered it not an issue, and it hasn't become one? It doesn't seem like sound quality is affected once it's in my ears, but I get some creaking while putting them in, and just an occasional singular kind of metallic clink if I reposition the monitor. (I'm pretty sure the creaking is just those metallic clinks in rapid succession making it sound like one creak. So slight adjustments cause only one or two of those clinking sounds instead of a whole creak. At least that's how mine sound to me)

I guess the question I'm asking, in essence, is that is this just a thing that happens to the 846's, it doesn't affect sound quality, and I should just live with it because it's not a big deal? Or should I seek a replacement? I sure would hate to part with these! Any comments are much appreciated!

P.S. I'm about 99% sure it's not something I'm doing wrong. I have quadruple checked the nozzles are all seated correctly, and the nozzle covering ring (that part that screws on) is flush, and isn't going to get any tighter. I feel like once I get my sensaphonics it might remedy this issue since they cover much more of the IEM and I assume will require less force to put them in than my current triple flange sleeves which take quite a bit of manipulation and force to insert. I'll let you guys know when I get those. 

Have you been disconnecting the earpiece and putting other cables on? In my experience with Shure and other companies that use this connection has been if I remove and add cables often the connection will get loose. Also if the weather becomes very wet it will have connection issues. It can also be the connections needs to be cleaned.

May 6, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #11,062 of 22,954
I have a creaking issue with one of the monitors in my set, and while I have considered sending it in for replacement and may still do so before my warranty runs out, I can attest that it hasn't changed either for better or worse after about four months of fairly regular use, and there has been no impact on the rather excellent sound quality. The creaking in my case is due to there being a tiny bit of give in the plastic shell which allows a little bit of flexing and rubbing against itself, and it only occurs sometimes when I insert the monitor into my ear. It doesn't bug me anymore at this point and I hardly notice most of the time.

It's impossible to guess at what might be going on with your monitors without hearing the sounds myself, but I'd be more concerned by the sharper-seeming "clink" you described. Mine don't make that sound, it is a true creak like stepping on a loose floorboard and sounds entirely like plastic on plastic. A single sharp clink sound however implies to me that there might be a loose piece of something metal that is snapping into/out of position.

Anyway, the bottom line is, if it bothers you, just call Shure and get it replaced.

May 6, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #11,064 of 22,954

Same exact problem with my right monitor. For me sometimes I gather steam like I'm going to call Shure and do something about it, but then I put them in and listen and kinda just want to keep them for a little longer.

May 6, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #11,065 of 22,954
Same exact problem with my right monitor. For me sometimes I gather steam like I'm going to call Shure and do something about it, but then I put them in and listen and kinda just want to keep them for a little longer.

I have also heard this but very rarely. I assumed it was the cable connection. It never really bothers me as it does not effect the sound and it happens only if I fiddle with the monitor to position it in my ear. It is so infrequent I don't consider it a problem.

May 6, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #11,066 of 22,954
I also had the same problem months ago. What I did to solve this problem was to play with the metal ring on the cable connector. You can apply a little force on it and stretch the ring out a little wider. This made the connection part much tighter and the noise disappeared.

Quick update regarding my lost nozzle.
Shure is still unresponsive to my demands. I haven't posted a while coz I just got back to Taiwan and a friend or mine is the manager for their Taiwanese distributor. He just gave me an extra nozzle and my problem is solved

Apparently the nozzle fallin out of 846s is also a common issue according to Japanese headphone forums. Shure is very very bad with their afterservice and I will never spend a cent buying shure products ever after my 846s break. End of story.

May 6, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #11,067 of 22,954
Apparently the nozzle fallin out of 846s is also a common issue according to Japanese headphone forums. Shure is very very bad with their afterservice and I will never spend a cent buying shure products ever after my 846s break. End of story.

Time is a great healer. I remembered I had said I would never buy another Fender/Squire product again. Just after I bought a 60th Anniversary Stratocaster last year :).

May 6, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #11,068 of 22,954
So it's wednsday and the rumor is Shure coming out with new IEMs, that was just a rumor? I don't see anything on their site
Power of the internet!

One poster mentions its two years since 846 came out, and further posts suggest price cuts, price increases, an event, and a new model :). Unless I've missed something its all joking and wishful thinking!

May 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #11,069 of 22,954
Time is a great healer. I remembered I had said I would never buy another Fender/Squire product again. Just after I bought a 60th Anniversary Stratocaster last year :).

I totally get your Fender Strat story. I dunno, I find both the strats and Gibson les pauls to be beautiful pieces of art. Shure on the other hand makes in ear monitors. As audio enthusiasts we are spoiled with choices in this market. But a beautiful strat, it's art. I get it. REALLY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back