Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #11,027 of 22,954
  Harsh?  With the filters in place I find it almost too smooth.  With the filters removed  I find it just about perfect.  

I am using the black filters, maybe the mids are too way forward to me

May 4, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #11,028 of 22,954
May 4, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #11,030 of 22,954
  What headphones/earphones are you using with that rig? Of course you commented on the Shure but I am wondering if you have other earphones you have tried with that same rig?

yes I am using audeze lcd2 rev2 and with my rig, I love what I am hearing from my audeze

please people know that on no way am I saying the shure 846 is bad on the contrary its an amazing iem, so much that on some songs its just mind boggling to me, but my grip is with progressive rock and metal as I find them a bit harsh, maybe as people said the mids are too forward and the shure is not a forgiving iem

I bought the sennheiser momentum iem as I mentioned its good but of course not to the level of the shure 846

maybe my search is for a more organic warmer iem , some people suggested asg2 , or the velvet or the heir 8

or maybe I should look at the Roxanne and be done with iems

so please shure fans know I love my shure with certain music, but I need a filler iem for metal and progressive rock that is more forgiving something better than the momentum iem

May 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #11,031 of 22,954
I love progressive rock, Porcupine Tree, Rush, Muse, Yes, etc and find 846s bring the best out of this genre. Some excellant recorded albums, new Steve Wilson for example. Everyone has different favoured sound signatures. To me warmness masks details and I want drums to sound as crisp as if I'm in a room with them. The only ever time I found music harsh was when CD first appeared on the scene and aclimatising to a new harder sound. But now there seems a trend where younger people are brought up with bass, just listen to the many dreadful overblown car systems with lads comparing size of their. ...subwoofers!

No right or wrong, everyone must fund their own preferred sound but I wouldn't class the Shures bright. Not overly warm. Full midrange, deep bass, adaptable treble.

May 4, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #11,032 of 22,954

yes I am using audeze lcd2 rev2 and with my rig, I love what I am hearing from my audeze

please people know that on no way am I saying the shure 846 is bad on the contrary its an amazing iem, so much that on some songs its just mind boggling to me, but my grip is with progressive rock and metal as I find them a bit harsh, maybe as people said the mids are too forward and the shure is not a forgiving iem

I bought the sennheiser momentum iem as I mentioned its good but of course not to the level of the shure 846

maybe my search is for a more organic warmer iem , some people suggested asg2 , or the velvet or the heir 8

or maybe I should look at the Roxanne and be done with iems

so please shure fans know I love my shure with certain music, but I need a filler iem for metal and progressive rock that is more forgiving something better than the momentum iem

Now I understand. The LCD2 has a warm almost lush midrange. You will never get there with the 846. There are a number of iem's with a warm signature that would probably please you. Too many to list but you mentioned a few possibilities. 

May 4, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #11,033 of 22,954
  Now I understand. The LCD2 has a warm almost lush midrange. You will never get there with the 846. There are a number of iem's with a warm signature that would probably please you. Too many to list but you mentioned a few possibilities. 

yeah I think I love audeze lcd sound sig so much that my brain is tuned to that sound signature, waaaaarrrrmmmm, lush, organic, and great bass

currawong said the closest to that in iems is the roxanne

by the way now that I am comparing the sennheiser momentum iem and comparing it to the shure 846, there is no way the momentum is even remotely close to the shure

the shure 846 is miles away better

May 4, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #11,034 of 22,954
I'm still wowed many months into owning these just how dirty they can sound when required, yet delicate in the next moment...

May 4, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #11,035 of 22,954
[quote name="hykhleif"

by the way now that I am comparing the sennheiser momentum iem and comparing it to the shure 846, there is no way the momentum is even remotely close to the shure

the shure 846 is miles away better
[/quote]

It should be. It's eight times the price of the Sennheiser Momentum IEM. I think for the price, the Momentum's sound amazing. I don't think my 846's are worth a thousand dollars. But, I still enjoy listening to them. Would I buy them again? No. Would I buy the Momentum's again? Yes.

May 4, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #11,037 of 22,954
i wish things were much easier for us to interpret reviews of people 

like for example

anyone who loves synthpop or eighties then 99.99% of people will love this song below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONkLtJMrt4

and anyone who loves melodic rock would love the song below ( occean of tears by kiske at aorund minute 28 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDNCA3J8y54

but when it comes to iems or headphones it amazing how much different the reviews can be and how each interprets things so differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back