Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #10,996 of 22,946
with all respect i am not making fun of the shure 846, and its the only iem i have, so i am just wondering how can i enjoy such bad recordings better than i do with shure

i know the shure shines with good recordings but with such bad recordings it does not shine, as i expect other iems maybe will do the same as the shure

i was just wondering if there are maybe other iems that can handle bad recordings differnetly

I use my Sennheiser Momentum IEM's on some recordings. I really like them for some recordings over the my 846's. However, I use my 846's the most of all my IEM's. With the modded Blues. They just sound amazing.

May 2, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #10,997 of 22,946
I use my Sennheiser Momentum IEM's on some recordings. I really like them for some recordings over the my 846's. However, I use my 846's the most of all my IEM's. With the modded Blues. They just sound amazing.

I listened to the Sennheiser Momentum IEM throughout the night prior to the SF mini meet today (along with a bunch of other awesome sounding IEMs) and I agree when you say you prefer it over the SE846 for some recordings, as it was one of my favorite that I listened to during the night.

May 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #10,998 of 22,946
  with all respect i am not making fun of the shure 846, and its the only iem i have, so i am just wondering how can i enjoy such bad recordings better than i do with shure

i know the shure shines with good recordings but with such bad recordings it does not shine, as i expect other iems maybe will do the same as the shure

i was just wondering if there are maybe other iems that can handle bad recordings differnetly

I think the issue may be that the Shure is a very "forward" and that may be the 'final straw' for you with so-called bad recordings (I did notlisten to your example track).  Aggressive harsh music/recordings with forward sounding gear can be hard to listen to.  This is different that tonal balance issues - so look for mention of iems that are mid-hall or "distant"/laid back-- that may help.

May 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #10,999 of 22,946

I think the issue may be that the Shure is a very "forward" and that may be the 'final straw' for you with so-called bad recordings (I did notlisten to your example track).  Aggressive harsh music/recordings with forward sounding gear can be hard to listen to.  This is different that tonal balance issues - so look for mention of iems that are mid-hall or "distant"/laid back-- that may help.

any other iems that are laid back , does marshall have iems 

May 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #11,000 of 22,946
i am thinking to get the momentum iems for such things, as it has been mentioned to my question twice

May 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #11,002 of 22,946
  It is a true shame about very good IEM's like the Shures that they can make songs sound straight up bad in my opinion (at fault of the recording). Songs that I liked when I just listened to them through my macbook speakers are unlistenable when they come on after a very well-recorded track. An article comes to mind I read on CNET recently (I believe it was from Steve Guttenburg) that basically said something to the effect of "Apple's earphones suck, and maybe that's a good thing" with the reasoning being that so many recordings suck just the same. Sad, but true. 

Obviously you haven't seen his k3003 review then,lol.

May 2, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #11,005 of 22,946
To totally derail this thread is anyone else wondering whether this Wednesday Shure will announce the successor to the SE846. Wednesday will be the two year anniversary when Shure announced the SE846.

I still remember that email from Shure:

May 2, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #11,006 of 22,946
Personally, I doubt there will be a successor of the SE846 soon. Propably some lower priced models (aka successors of the SE425 and 535) with drivers being build by Shure, but an SE846 appears quite unlikely to me.

But I don't know for shure. :wink:

May 2, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #11,009 of 22,946
"is anyone else wondering"

He's just asking if anyone (else) thinks there will be a new model announced because it's been two years  (he has absolutely no idea) and you are asking if that means the 846 will see a price drop?  
eek.gif

smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back