Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #22,951 of 22,960
The Apple iPhone dongles (Lightning or USB-C) are actually very good sound quality wise and can drive the SE846 well (and have low impedance). I doubt you will detect a night and day difference. But... this is a fun hobby and I don't want to discourage experimenting... :wink:
Exactly my thoughts as well.
I used my SE846 a lot at the time iPhones still had 3.5mm jacks, that worked really well. The dongle is not very powerful, but a clean implementation that sounds really good with efficient headphones. Or in-ears.

May 17, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #22,953 of 22,960
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #22,957 of 22,960
Hi guys. Just saw a pair of new Gen1 selling for dirt cheap. Is there any difference between Gen 1 and Gen2 except colors and the red filter?

Nope only the red filters, speak from experience.
Agree. I think Shure has said this as well. I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 and, aside from the color of the shells (one is black and the other is clear), the red filter seems to be the only real difference.

Jun 15, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #22,958 of 22,960
Just thought I’d make a wee post just to remind people that just because something is ‘old’ doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant… after all sound is sound.

Had gone on the IEM journey a long time ago, had some high-end sets including the SE846 and IE900. Settled on the IE600’s for a good while then sold out for practicality reasons and bought the Apple Air Pods Pro 2 (they sound pretty good, a lot of Apple DSP wizardry going on I guess).

Anyway recently got back into it. Tried the Letshouer S12 Pro’s but there was a definite overwhelming bass and a QC issue where the left channel was noticeably louder than the right. Chi-Fi - not for me.

I bought the IE600’s and the IE200’s (beaters) but unfortunately the IE200’s actually sounded better tuning wise (not technically) leaving me feeling the IE600’s were a bit wooly in the lower mids.

So! Bought the SE846 Gen 2’s and WOW! Blows the IE600’s out the water! (IMO) These are my new old new again end game IEM’s 😂

Plus I don’t need to worry about Sennheiser driver/connection issues. I’ll probably sell them on.

Anyway, yes, don’t discount older technology or older designs. New gear isn’t necessarily better, just different.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #22,959 of 22,960
Just thought I’d make a wee post just to remind people that just because something is ‘old’ doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant… after all sound is sound.

Had gone on the IEM journey a long time ago, had some high-end sets including the SE846 and IE900. Settled on the IE600’s for a good while then sold out for practicality reasons and bought the Apple Air Pods Pro 2 (they sound pretty good, a lot of Apple DSP wizardry going on I guess).

Anyway recently got back into it. Tried the Letshouer S12 Pro’s but there was a definite overwhelming bass and a QC issue where the left channel was noticeably louder than the right. Chi-Fi - not for me.

I bought the IE600’s and the IE200’s (beaters) but unfortunately the IE200’s actually sounded better tuning wise (not technically) leaving me feeling the IE600’s were a bit wooly in the lower mids.

So! Bought the SE846 Gen 2’s and WOW! Blows the IE600’s out the water! (IMO) These are my new old new again end game IEM’s 😂

Plus I don’t need to worry about Sennheiser driver/connection issues. I’ll probably sell them on.

Anyway, yes, don’t discount older technology or older designs. New gear isn’t necessarily better, just different.
Agreed. I still go back to SE846 and always enjoy them.

Jun 15, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #22,960 of 22,960

I owned the se846 gen2, I have heared enough same priced or similir that sound way less. I sold it in end because it did not get enough listening time (owning better one’s with more air and stage).

But I would still class them as very good, seen the age of the se846, would be nice having a real update just as revolutionair as when the were once release by shure.
Something like a se956 or something 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back